+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ruston alcohol ordinance

Champ Choudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond repute Choudawg86's Avatar

Re: Ruston alcohol ordinance

wasn't ever really in favor of the 2am deal, but now I'll be asleep 4 hours before that so not sure it matters. I'd say its more the folks outside of Ruston that push for the 2am closing. Its not something they have to live with, just benefit from a few weekends a year.

Worth pointing out once again, the majority of college kids cant LEGALLY buy in a bar anyway.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Choudawg86 View Post
    Worth pointing out once again, the majority of college kids cant LEGALLY buy in a bar anyway.
    Every time I mention this someone brings up all the fifth year seniors (and grad students). Probably by the time they're fifth year seniors a lot of them are married and they're more serious about studying.

I don't think it will make much difference, but it does bring Ruston into line with most other places.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

This is great news, assuming it passes.

The current midnight alcohol shutdown law in Ruston results in Tech students leaving Dawg House, Ponchatoulas, Sundown, frat houses, apartments, etc. by midnight and driving outside the city limits to Rabb's or San Miguel's (or whatever they call those places now) to party til 2 AM. RIP Q-stick.

That stupid law has resulted in too many accidents, arrests, and citations that have negatively affected too many lives by unnecessarily putting drunk drivers on the Ruston roads.

The new law would allow students to stay out in town and party til 2 AM and walk back to wherever they'll crash for the night... or at least spend less time on the roads.

I hope this proposal gets unanimous support.
    Last edited by Dawg06; 07-18-2016 at 12:23 AM.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Techsan View Post
    Every time I mention this someone brings up all the fifth year seniors (and grad students). Probably by the time they're fifth year seniors a lot of them are married and they're more serious about studying.

I don't think it will make much difference, but it does bring Ruston into line with most other places.
    I can assure you that is not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Choudawg86 View Post
    wasn't ever really in favor of the 2am deal, but now I'll be asleep 4 hours before that so not sure it matters. I'd say its more the folks outside of Ruston that push for the 2am closing. Its not something they have to live with, just benefit from a few weekends a year.

Whether college students can legally buy alcohol or not, the reality is that they go out as underclassmen.
    Last edited by Dawg06; 07-18-2016 at 12:21 AM.

Bulldog cnn003 is just really nicecnn003 is just really nicecnn003 is just really nicecnn003 is just really nicecnn003 is just really nicecnn003 is just really nicecnn003 is just really nicecnn003 is just really nicecnn003 is just really nicecnn003 is just really nicecnn003 is just really nice

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    This is great news, assuming it passes.

The current midnight alcohol shutdown law in Ruston results in Tech students leaving Dawg House, Ponchatoulas, Sundown, frat houses, apartments, etc. by midnight and driving outside the city limits to Rabb's or San Miguel's (or whatever they call those places now) to party til 2 AM. RIP Q-stick.

That stupid law has resulted in too many accidents, arrests, and citations that have negatively affected too many lives by unnecessarily putting drunk drivers on the Ruston roads.

The new law would allow students to stay out in town and party til 2 AM and walk back to wherever they'll crash for the night... or at least spend less time on the roads.

I hope this proposal gets unanimous support.
    This.

A secondary benefit is it will provide the opportunity to make Ruston more of a college town, rather than a town with a college in it.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    That hasn't been a Ruston problem in years. How many students do we lose to Lafayette and Monroe because we shut down bars at 12:00?
    Actually, it's always been a problem. If a restaurant can't project a certain amount of revenue and profit margin it can't borrow money from conventional sources, including banks. It also causes outside investors to shy away when a consultant recommends against the investment because of that lack of revenue. And every chain has its own revenue target it would have to meet to consider opening in a market.

This change would likely help alleviate those concerns. It may allow existing restaurants to renovate or expand, new restaurants to open in an area like downtown, and allow more chains to dive in.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    Actually, it's always been a problem. If a restaurant can't project a certain amount of revenue and profit margin it can't borrow money from conventional sources, including banks. It also causes outside investors to shy away when a consultant recommends against the investment because of that lack of revenue. And every chain has its own revenue target it would have to meet to consider opening in a market.

This change would likely help alleviate those concerns. It may allow existing restaurants to renovate or expand, new restaurants to open in an area like downtown, and allow more chains to dive in.
    Interesting. Sounds like you have some experience, so I'll ask two things about "nice restaurants"...

1. Which nice restaurant chains has Ruston missed out on because of the 12:00 closing?

2. How much extra gross income can a nice restaurant expect with the extra hours?

Just my observation, but lack of restaurants in Ruston does not seem like a current problem.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

You don't have to stay out until 2am if you don't want to do so.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde View Post
    You don't have to stay out until 2am if you don't want to do so.
    This is not a pro/con discussion. It is a why/why not discussion. I've just never understood the need for a "nice restaurant" to be open past 12:00. Griffs, Waffle House, Taco Grande, etc., I get. Also, I completely understand why a bar or club would need the 2:00am closing.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting. Sounds like you have some experience, so I'll ask two things about "nice restaurants"...

1. Which nice restaurant chains has Ruston missed out on because of the 12:00 closing?

2. How much extra gross income can a nice restaurant expect with the extra hours?

Just my observation, but lack of restaurants in Ruston does not seem like a current problem.
    My experience with this subject is from the banking perspective and from the perspective of a potential investor. I've been approached - and I'm not the only one on this board - to invest in a restaurant in Ruston because of all of the reasons stated in my previous post.

To answer your question - there are a lot of variables that would go into gross revenue generation in those extra hours. But a nice restaurant within walking distance of a college campus will see a significant bump in revenue in those hours from alcohol sales. In my opinion it would easily be enough to spur outside investment and interest from conventional lenders.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

This is not a pro/con discussion. It is a why/why not discussion. I've just never understood the need for a "nice restaurant" to be open past 12:00. Griffs, Waffle House, Taco Grande, etc., I get. Also, I completely understand why a bar or club would need the 2:00am closing.
    For some tee total-ers it seems to be a pro/con discussion.

People who travel into Ruston on a Friday night would enjoy a couple of extra hours of hot wings, beer, and other libations/food before heading to the motel to prepare for gameday. Even those Rustonites who may work odd hours would benefit.

Enjoying something besides Griffs or Waffle House (which don't serve alcohol) is not an extraordinary demand.

I guess I'm out of touch...WHICH nice restaurants depend on alcohol sales after 12:00? Just give me some examples. I'm sure there are some chains in S'Port/Bossier or Baton Rouge. I know there are none in Ouachita Parish.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde View Post
    For some tee total-ers it seems to be a pro/con discussion.

People who travel into Ruston on a Friday night would enjoy a couple of extra hours of hot wings, beer, and other libations/food before heading to the motel to prepare for gameday. Even those Rustonites who may work odd hours would benefit.

Enjoying something besides Griffs or Waffle House (which don't serve alcohol) is not an extraordinary demand.
    Okay. I get that. Now why would a guy mess up a $150 drunk by eating a $15 order from a "nice restaurant"?

I guess I'm out of touch...WHICH nice restaurants depend on alcohol sales after 12:00? Just give me some examples. I'm sure there are some chains in S'Port/Bossier or Baton Rouge. I know there are none in Ouachita Parish.
    Who said they depend on it? It sure is nice to have some extra revenue flowing in.

I can give you examples of where I live which is a town with a college in it.

http://localgastropub.com/
    http://www.youngavenuedeli.com/
    http://sweetgrassmemphis.com/

+ Reply to Thread