+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30

Thread: Louisiana Flooding

  1. #1
    Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    45,529

    Louisiana Flooding

    Hope all you South Louisiana folks are okay. Looks terrible down there.
    "eye fo an eye and toof fo a toof" - Idiot in Missouri

  2. #2
    Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    45,529

    Re: Louisiana Flooding

    As I was typing the above, I was informed that some of our regular posters here have suffered from the flooding. Word is it will get worse.
    "eye fo an eye and toof fo a toof" - Idiot in Missouri

  3. #3
    Big Dog Darbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the rough
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    851

    Re: Louisiana Flooding

    My daughter, son in-law and 2 granddaughters live in St Amant. The water is 1 foot from getting in their house. I feel so helpless because I can't get to their house to help. The one thing I can do is pray,

  4. #4
    Champ rabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond repute
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    3,444

    Re: Louisiana Flooding

    I'm on top of a ridge in my neighborhood. The houses at the end of my street did get water in them.

  5. #5
    Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute Cool Hand Clyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    14,210

    Re: Louisiana Flooding

    Jukedawg's wife, daughter, and two Boston terriers kayaked out of the neighborhood in Red Stick on Saturday. Not much damage to their property.
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LouisianaTechMemphis/

    "Folks, our President is STEPPING UP & it is up to all of us FANatics to support what he is trying to do."

    MICKEYS14

  6. #6
    Champ weunice is a glorious beacon of lightweunice is a glorious beacon of lightweunice is a glorious beacon of lightweunice is a glorious beacon of lightweunice is a glorious beacon of lightweunice is a glorious beacon of lightweunice is a glorious beacon of lightweunice is a glorious beacon of lightweunice is a glorious beacon of lightweunice is a glorious beacon of lightweunice is a glorious beacon of light weunice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    1,904

    Re: Louisiana Flooding

    Quote Originally Posted by rabiddawg View Post
    I'm on top of a ridge in my neighborhood. The houses at the end of my street did get water in them.
    I am about 4 miles ESE of Denham Springs. I am on the ridge in my neighborhood as well. A third of the homes in my neighborhood received up to 2 feet of water. The home I spent my teenage years in was bought by FEMA last year for repeated flooding. It had 8+ feet of water this time. The home I spent my earlier years in was in a neighborhood that nobody every thought would flood. It received water. Many many of my friends and coworkers suffered loss. I wouldn't be shocked to find out that 40% or more of the people in metro BR were directly affected by these waters. I suspect this will end up on the high end of natural disaster price tags all time. The coverage of those receiving water was just immense.

    That said, I have never been more proud to be from Louisiana than I am today. Love your neighbor was really out in force and I expect that will continue as we move forward from these dark days. I am sure many of you who suffered in similar situations earlier this year in north Louisiana had similar experiences. This is the Louisiana I love.

    God bless y'all.

  7. #7
    Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    McKinney, TX & Franklin, TN
    Posts
    28,570

    Re: Louisiana Flooding

    Quote Originally Posted by weunice View Post
    I am about 4 miles ESE of Denham Springs. I am on the ridge in my neighborhood as well. A third of the homes in my neighborhood received up to 2 feet of water. The home I spent my teenage years in was bought by FEMA last year for repeated flooding. It had 8+ feet of water this time. The home I spent my earlier years in was in a neighborhood that nobody every thought would flood. It received water. Many many of my friends and coworkers suffered loss. I wouldn't be shocked to find out that 40% or more of the people in metro BR were directly affected by these waters. I suspect this will end up on the high end of natural disaster price tags all time. The coverage of those receiving water was just immense.

    That said, I have never been more proud to be from Louisiana than I am today. Love your neighbor was really out in force and I expect that will continue as we move forward from these dark days. I am sure many of you who suffered in similar situations earlier this year in north Louisiana had similar experiences. This is the Louisiana I love.

    God bless y'all.
    I'm sorry this is happening to ya'll weunice, but glad to hear that your neighbors are hanging tough. Bless all of ya'll.

  8. #8
    Champ weunice is a glorious beacon of lightweunice is a glorious beacon of lightweunice is a glorious beacon of lightweunice is a glorious beacon of lightweunice is a glorious beacon of lightweunice is a glorious beacon of lightweunice is a glorious beacon of lightweunice is a glorious beacon of lightweunice is a glorious beacon of lightweunice is a glorious beacon of lightweunice is a glorious beacon of light weunice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    1,904

    Re: Louisiana Flooding

    Thanks HogDawg ...
    Mailman sighting down in South Louisiana helping with the relief efforts. All over social media

    This flood will likely surpass Tropical Storm Allison in total losses (may even double it) and will likely end up one of the Top 5 or 10 river flood events in US history with somewhere between 40,000 and 110,000 homes having received water. Meanwhile a few hundred homes in California are getting wall to wall coverage from a forest fire. Yes, it is a bad situation but it is really strange to have seen the American press let a disaster of this magnitude go as unreported as this.

    I got numbers if you need a little more convincing.

  9. #9
    Big Dog Darbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the rough
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    851

    Re: Louisiana Flooding

    I just got back from St Amant last night. Helped my daughter and son in law strip their house. I never witnessed anything so bad. If you think the pictures are bad, well it's worse to see it first hand

  10. #10
    Champ weunice is a glorious beacon of lightweunice is a glorious beacon of lightweunice is a glorious beacon of lightweunice is a glorious beacon of lightweunice is a glorious beacon of lightweunice is a glorious beacon of lightweunice is a glorious beacon of lightweunice is a glorious beacon of lightweunice is a glorious beacon of lightweunice is a glorious beacon of lightweunice is a glorious beacon of light weunice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    1,904

    Re: Louisiana Flooding

    I know this is long .. bear with me.

    This 2016 Great Louisiana flood is one of the most extensive floods in United States history.
    I went through the last few years major floods ($1 billion+ disasters) to compare. The goal is not to say "look how much worse we have it" but to impress upon you the unusual scale of this disaster. The United States tends to have a handful of $1 billion floods a year. Here is a recent sample ...

    04/2016: Houston flooding: 1000 homes and business - $1.2 billion
    03/2016: Texas, Louisiana flooding: 1000 homes and business - $1.3 billion
    10/2015: South Carolina - $2.0 billion (I saw a more recent $2.3 billion estimate here)
    05/2015: Texas, Oklahoma - $2.5 billion
    08/2014: Michigan, Maryland, New York - $1.0 billion

    The closest comparison I could find in recent years to the Louisiana flood is Tropical Storm Allison which destroyed 14,000 homes in Houston and damaged another 34,000. So here is Allison added to our list.

    06/2001: Tropical Storm Allison, Houston - 48,000 homes and businesses - $11.5 billion - Technically this falls under "tropical cyclone damage" and not flood disasters.

    Allison is a little higher than the 40,000 home estimate initially provided by the governor which has proven to be a low number. Today (8/21) state officials are indicating 60,000 homes have been flooded and this number could rise.

    The Baton Rouge Area Chamber has estimated that at least 110,000 homes could have been flooded with a potential price tag approaching $20 billion for this disaster. That 110,000 represents homes in the flood plain of this event. It is almost certain some homes escaped getting water in that estimate.

    Now lets add the Louisiana flood to the list and I will use a "per home flooded" factor similar to Allison as the fact both areas are very urban. Crop loss at a level greater than would be expected in Houston MIGHT inflate this number.

    08/2016: Great Louisiana flood - 60,000 - 110,000 homes and businesses - potentially $14-26 billion in damages.

    Since 1980 there has been 24 floods (Katrina/Allison excluded) totaling $96.6 billion in damages. The only flood in the time frame with a price tag higher than the Allison-like low end estimate I see for this was the Great Flood of 1993 along the Mississippi and Missouri rivers which is one of the largest non-tropical cyclone flood in US history ($34.9 billion)

    Even if the current 60,000 homes flooded proves to be the final number, this flood will end up with a price tag making it the second costliest non-tropical cyclone flood in the United States since 1980. Even if the low end estimates are high, we are still talking about a Top 10 flood disaster in US history.

    Sources
    https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/billions/events
    http://www.theadvocate.com/louisiana...357ccc11f.html
    https://weather.com/storms/severe/ne...ay2015-allison
    http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...ating-flooding

  11. #11
    Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute TYLERTECHSAS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    44,523

    Re: Louisiana Flooding

    Quote Originally Posted by weunice View Post
    I know this is long .. bear with me.

    This 2016 Great Louisiana flood is one of the most extensive floods in United States history.
    I went through the last few years major floods ($1 billion+ disasters) to compare. The goal is not to say "look how much worse we have it" but to impress upon you the unusual scale of this disaster. The United States tends to have a handful of $1 billion floods a year. Here is a recent sample ...

    04/2016: Houston flooding: 1000 homes and business - $1.2 billion
    03/2016: Texas, Louisiana flooding: 1000 homes and business - $1.3 billion
    10/2015: South Carolina - $2.0 billion (I saw a more recent $2.3 billion estimate here)
    05/2015: Texas, Oklahoma - $2.5 billion
    08/2014: Michigan, Maryland, New York - $1.0 billion

    The closest comparison I could find in recent years to the Louisiana flood is Tropical Storm Allison which destroyed 14,000 homes in Houston and damaged another 34,000. So here is Allison added to our list.

    06/2001: Tropical Storm Allison, Houston - 48,000 homes and businesses - $11.5 billion - Technically this falls under "tropical cyclone damage" and not flood disasters.

    Allison is a little higher than the 40,000 home estimate initially provided by the governor which has proven to be a low number. Today (8/21) state officials are indicating 60,000 homes have been flooded and this number could rise.

    The Baton Rouge Area Chamber has estimated that at least 110,000 homes could have been flooded with a potential price tag approaching $20 billion for this disaster. That 110,000 represents homes in the flood plain of this event. It is almost certain some homes escaped getting water in that estimate.

    Now lets add the Louisiana flood to the list and I will use a "per home flooded" factor similar to Allison as the fact both areas are very urban. Crop loss at a level greater than would be expected in Houston MIGHT inflate this number.

    08/2016: Great Louisiana flood - 60,000 - 110,000 homes and businesses - potentially $14-26 billion in damages.

    Since 1980 there has been 24 floods (Katrina/Allison excluded) totaling $96.6 billion in damages. The only flood in the time frame with a price tag higher than the Allison-like low end estimate I see for this was the Great Flood of 1993 along the Mississippi and Missouri rivers which is one of the largest non-tropical cyclone flood in US history ($34.9 billion)

    Even if the current 60,000 homes flooded proves to be the final number, this flood will end up with a price tag making it the second costliest non-tropical cyclone flood in the United States since 1980. Even if the low end estimates are high, we are still talking about a Top 10 flood disaster in US history.

    Sources
    https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/billions/events
    http://www.theadvocate.com/louisiana...357ccc11f.html
    https://weather.com/storms/severe/ne...ay2015-allison
    http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...ating-flooding
    It will never get the liberal media play as Obama/Hillary and the Dems obviously don't smit a give.

  12. #12
    Champ weunice is a glorious beacon of lightweunice is a glorious beacon of lightweunice is a glorious beacon of lightweunice is a glorious beacon of lightweunice is a glorious beacon of lightweunice is a glorious beacon of lightweunice is a glorious beacon of lightweunice is a glorious beacon of lightweunice is a glorious beacon of lightweunice is a glorious beacon of lightweunice is a glorious beacon of light weunice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    1,904

    Re: Louisiana Flooding

    The claim is that it was the Olympics and the election that sidelined this coverage.

    Since 1980 .... Based on my low end estimate of $15 billion a couple of mid-west droughts, the 1993 Mississippi River flood and the following Hurricanes will outpace this disaster when all is said and done
    Katrina, Sandy, Andrew, Ike, Ivan, Wilma, Rita, Charley, Hugo
    I don't think much more needs to be said as far as the scope of this event. Like I said to someone else, wildfires affecting hundreds of homes have been getting more coverage than this flood.

    I think the press coverage changes tomorrow with Obama's visit if only because the real numbers of the disaster will eventually come down on his legacy. Floods have made men presidents. People forget that.

  13. #13
    Champ weunice is a glorious beacon of lightweunice is a glorious beacon of lightweunice is a glorious beacon of lightweunice is a glorious beacon of lightweunice is a glorious beacon of lightweunice is a glorious beacon of lightweunice is a glorious beacon of lightweunice is a glorious beacon of lightweunice is a glorious beacon of lightweunice is a glorious beacon of lightweunice is a glorious beacon of light weunice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    1,904

    Re: Louisiana Flooding

    Airline High did a Denim for Denham Springs High School fundraiser up there where the kids got to wear denim in exchange for a donation to assist the school. From a parent of a kid at DSHS, I wanted to thank anyone involved in that.

  14. #14
    Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute TYLERTECHSAS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    44,523

    Re: Louisiana Flooding

    Where's Hillary?

  15. #15
    Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Dogtown, AR
    Posts
    11,615

    Re: Louisiana Flooding

    Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    Where's Hillary?
    Uranus

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts