+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "The nation's premiere university"

Champ maverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond repute

Re: "The nation's premiere university"

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    How is the housing situation in Ruston? That's the problem keeping hundreds of students from attending NSU.
    I've never heard of students being accepted and admitted to Tech, then having to wait until the next term because no housing was available.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    I've never heard of students being accepted and admitted to Tech, then having to wait until the next term because no housing was available.
    Well, there ya go.

Champ splicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of light

http://www.instalodge.com/
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/Co...350322!6m1!1e1

Setup a "man camp". Basically a trailer park motel. I'm sure that with the oilfield down, one of these companies has some units to move.

Puppy aillet1970 is just really niceaillet1970 is just really niceaillet1970 is just really niceaillet1970 is just really niceaillet1970 is just really niceaillet1970 is just really niceaillet1970 is just really niceaillet1970 is just really niceaillet1970 is just really niceaillet1970 is just really niceaillet1970 is just really nice

For the record, Henderson never said that. The vision since he took the job is for NSU to be the nation's premiere REGIONAL university. Why would they aspire to be anything less?

Puppy aillet1970 is just really niceaillet1970 is just really niceaillet1970 is just really niceaillet1970 is just really niceaillet1970 is just really niceaillet1970 is just really niceaillet1970 is just really niceaillet1970 is just really niceaillet1970 is just really niceaillet1970 is just really niceaillet1970 is just really nice

The guy took subpar housing offline for refurbishment, then made provisions throughout the town for students. Their traditional freshman class is the largest since selective admissions started there, and they all have a place to stay. By the way, their high school enrollment is a far lower share of total enrollment than Tech's.

Champ detltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by aillet1970 View Post
    For the record, Henderson never said that. The vision since he took the job is for NSU to be the nation's premiere REGIONAL university. Why would they aspire to be anything less?
    That makes sense.

The guy took subpar housing offline for refurbishment, then made provisions throughout the town for students. Their traditional freshman class is the largest since selective admissions started there, and they all have a place to stay. By the way, their high school enrollment is a far lower share of total enrollment than Tech's.
    That makes sense as well although we are getting mixed signals on whether everyone has a place to stay. What is Techs highschool-duel enrollment? 2000-2500? That's really high if so.

Welcome to the board.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

He just sent a memo reiterating that point. But, do not tell me they were not chanting to be "the nation's premiere university" at the welcome back lunch. I was there.

What does that mean anyway? Exactly how is "regional" defined? Does that include portions of Louisiana? I would think so. Does it also mean East Texas? It's only 60 miles to the Texas state line, and NSU does get some students from Texas. It has to also mean that Tech is NOT a regional university. Tech is a NATIONAL university. Otherwise NSU wouldn't have a prayer of achieving their goal.

But, what other schools are NSU competing with locally, and what others nationally? On the latter, for instance, Missouri State (formerly Southwest Missouri State) may serve a portion of Missouri, and across state lines into Oklahoma and Arkansas. A "region." So, NSU wants to serve its "region" i.e. do a better job than Mizzou State is doing of serving its "region." Locally, what other schools are NSU competing with in this defined "region?" I am guessing it would La. College, LSUA, and LSUS. Well, given that line up, I'd say mission accomplished, NSU is already #1 among that group.

But, nationally? To be the "nation's premiere regional university" requires comparisons, by some metrics (apples to apples) by which NSU can be judged. What are those metrics, and how can they be recorded and measured? I mean, by this definition, there are a lot of "regional" universities. Heck! just in Louisiana, there are: ULM, McNeese, SLU, and Nicholls. In addition to the aforementioned schools. NSU would have to be declared #1 in Louisiana before it can worry about a national ranking.

I like Dr. Jim Henderson. I think he is doing a good job. But, honestly, he should focus on making NSU the best it can be....i.e. control the things he can...and stop with such rah rah chants with national implications.

Using a sports' analogy, it's like the ULM Chickenhawks proclaiming they want to be the "nation's premiere G5 program." Most of us would say....okay, but......Hello! Start with the little things and kind of work your way through it.

Not true! Some students have already resigned because there was not any places to stay. Others are sleeping on some friend's couch at their apartment hoping to make the best of it for the semester and/or hoping something becomes available soon. Some of the foreign students had already withdrawn due to lack of housing. The exact numbers, as it stands today? I don't know. I'm not sure anyone knows for sure, and probably won't know for sure until October 1st when that audit of enrollment is done for the fall semester.

Now, this a GOOD problem as far as NSU's enrollment numbers go. It shows the university is growing and is attracting students. Kudos to NSU!

But, do NOT tell me about the housing issues. I am in those "trenches" on a daily basis. I am part of a group of property owners who work together, and are, at the same time, competitors. I call other property owners when I am booked up, trying to help out. Likewise, I get calls and emails from others asking if I have anything available. A group of 4 students just rented a house in Alexandria for the semester and are commuting the 50 miles. They are from New Orleans and Alex is as close as they could get....for now. It was either that or resigning. There are others who have found accommodations in Winnfield, Coushatta, Many, etc... Not an ideal situation, but they are making it work.

Again, NSU's enrollment is up. They implemented selective admissions, saw a drop in numbers, and are now recovering. The university is trying to grow and to improve its programs. Look, we all know Tech is #1! But there is no need to make ourselves feel better about our alma mater by knocking other schools. Stay positive. Good things are happening in many places.

It can be tough being a university prez....

Dr. Henderson had to deal with the firestorm of protests that erupted around a proposed, VERY restrictive "free speech" policy on campus. The watchdog organization FIRE, Foundation for Individual Rights in Education, filed a protest and NSU has revised the policy. The national story is in the Washington Times, now picked up by other outlets. In the story, Henderson is applauded for "liberalizing" the free speech policy. Say what!? Free speech is a VERY, VERY, VERY conservative position, one tied directly to the 1st Amendment of the Constitution. It's the libtards in the PC crowd that want to restrict and control free speech.

NSU has now moved up from a "Red Light" to a "Yellow Light" and joins Tech and several other state universities in that category. There are still some "Red Lights" out there and not a single "Green Light" in Louisiana's higher ed community, public or private.

Free speech? Except for the old "can't yell fire in a crowded theater" examples, speech is protected by the 1st Amendment. Colon Kapumpernickle exercised his free speech rights, which he is free to do. And now the rest of us, and the NFL and the Niners, are free to react the way we want to.

Of course it's the libtards who want to control communication and the free exchange of ideas. Their whole agenda is a blatant lie, and they do NOT want the light of truth shined upon it.

Let's see Tech be the first to achieve that "green light" status in Louisiana.

+ Reply to Thread