+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "The nation's premiere university"

Champ WWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond repute WWDog's Avatar

Re: "The nation's premiere university"

I actually feel sorry and embarrassed for them. They are a shadow of a school they used to be.
    WWDog
    La Tech
    Region and hyphen free since 1894!
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ detltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond repute

It's good to have stretch goals. Seems like NSU needs some more achievable immediate goals before they take a bite out of the "nations premier university". Even becoming the premier university in the state is not really achievable. Maybe they should go for North Louisiana's premier university.

Champ RhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond repute RhythmDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by detltu View Post
    It's good to have stretch goals. Seems like NSU needs some more achievable immediate goals before they take a bite out of the "nations premier university". Even becoming the premier university in the state is not really achievable. Maybe they should go for North Louisiana's premier university.
    Except that they are in central louisiana. Perhaps they can be the premier university in central louisiana. LSUA and Louisiana College might give them a run though.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Just a little fact check...

NSU's overall enrollment, including on-campus, is up 8%. There is quite literally a housing shortage in Natchitoches. I know, I own rental property and everyone of my properties are rented either to students or faculty/staff of NSU. Mostly to students, since that has been my target market. I get calls daily asking if I have any units available. No one does.

As of last week, the last count I was told is 262 students will have to sit out the Fall semester due to nowhere to stay. Classes have begun, as of yesterday, and this means either desperate measures....pup tents anyone? Or, these students having to resign and hoping for better accommodations come January. These numbers do not include foreign students, mostly from China, Columbia, and Panama, where NSU has been actively recruiting. The lack of housing has been known for a year, and those students, failing to lock something in back in the spring, voluntarily withdrew for the time being.

On-line enrollment is up by 400+ students vs. Fall of 2015. (not that I care about this sector)

I really only care as it affects my rental property business. I am adding properties as fast as I can, but the prices are up, due to demand from investors. I have a formula I follow and I will not deviate from it. No deal is better than a bad deal.

Point is, NSU's enrollment is up. Not down and not dwindling as has been alleged by some.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Just a little fact check...

NSU's overall enrollment, including on-campus, is up 8%. There is quite literally a housing shortage in Natchitoches. I know, I own rental property and everyone of my properties are rented either to students or faculty/staff of NSU. Mostly to students, since that has been my target market. I get calls daily asking if I have any units available. No one does.

As of last week, the last count I was told is 262 students will have to sit out the Fall semester due to nowhere to stay. Classes have begun, as of yesterday, and this means either desperate measures....pup tents anyone? Or, these students having to resign and hoping for better accommodations come January. These numbers do not include foreign students, mostly from China, Columbia, and Panama, where NSU has been actively recruiting. The lack of housing has been known for a year, and those students, failing to lock something in back in the spring, voluntarily withdrew for the time being.

On-line enrollment is up by 400+ students vs. Fall of 2015. (not that I care about this sector)

I really only care as it affects my rental property business. I am adding properties as fast as I can, but the prices are up, due to demand from investors. I have a formula I follow and I will not deviate from it. No deal is better than a bad deal.

Point is, NSU's enrollment is up. Not down and not dwindling as has been alleged by some.
    As I stated earlier, the last I studied this was with the 2014 figures, which tell quite a different story.

2014 NWST enrollment facts
    3,697 - Natchitoches (down 16% since 2008)
    3,294 - Online
    976 - High School Dual Enrollment
    630 - Shreveport (down 31.4% since 2008)
    211 - Leesville/Fort Polk
    194 - Alexandria
    9,002 - TOTAL

NWST Natchitoches Enrollment
    2003: 6,558
    2004: 6,393
    2005: 5,806
    2006: 5,108
    2007: 4,813
    2008: 4,404
    2009: 4,330
    2010: 4,201
    2011: 4,022
    2012: 4,149
    2013: 3,796
    2014: 3,697
    That's a 43.6% decline in NWST Natchitoches enrollment from 2003 to 2014.

NWST Shreveport Nursing Enrollment
    2004: 1,244
    2005: 1,065
    2006: 1,021
    2007: 981
    2008: 919
    2009: 915
    2010: 862
    2011: 799
    2012: 750
    2013: 674
    2014: 630
    That's a 49.4% decline in NWST Shreveport nursing enrollment over the last decade.

NWST's Leesville/Fort Polk enrollment has declined 75.9% over the last decade.

NWST is making up for dwindling enrollment of traditional students with high school dual enrollment and online students. As of 2013, greater than 70% of NWST's student body took online classes, and that number has been steadily rising.

Those are the facts.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Good info, 80.
    A man in the trenches.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Fact Check: NWST enrollment updated with latest official figures

These graphs show dwindling traditional enrollment at NWST being replaced with online students and high school dual enrollment. Those are not signs of a thriving university. To deny these facts is a bit disingenuous.

Even if on-campus enrollment really turns out to be up 8% this fall, that is still coming off of historic lows which would still put NWST lower than its 2012's numbers. Where were students living 2003-2004 when traditional enrollment was significantly higher?

Now we know Henderson is trying to solve the problem of dwindling enrollment by importing students from China, Colombia, and Panama in addition to growing high school dual enrollment and online learning. What does this say about the appeal of NWST to the local/regional population its mission is to serve?

Having a known problem of inadequate housing for a year and not addressing it and leaving enrolled students with no housing options is a sign of poor leadership. I feel bad for those students.
    Last edited by Dawg06; 08-23-2016 at 12:53 PM.

Champ maverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond repute

...As of last week, the last count I was told is 262 students will have to sit out the Fall semester due to nowhere to stay. Classes have begun, as of yesterday, and this means either desperate measures....pup tents anyone? Or, these students having to resign and hoping for better accommodations come January...
    Why wait until January when they can start at Tech in September? That's what you're recommending to them, right? This is one of the ways the quarter system can actually be useful.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

Can these students meet Tech's selective admissions requirements?

Champ RhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond repute RhythmDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    Fact Check: NWST enrollment updated with latest official figures

These graphs show dwindling traditional enrollment at NWST being replaced with online students and high school dual enrollment. Those are not signs of a thriving university. To deny these facts is a bit disingenuous.

Even if on-campus enrollment really turns out to be up 8% this fall, that is still coming off of historic lows which would still put NWST lower than its 2012's numbers. Where were students living 2003-2004 when traditional enrollment was significantly higher?

Now we know Henderson is trying to solve the problem of dwindling enrollment by importing students from China, Colombia, and Panama in addition to growing high school dual enrollment and online learning. What does this say about the appeal of NWST to the local/regional population its mission is to serve?

Having a known problem of inadequate housing for a year and not addressing it and leaving enrolled students with no housing options is a sign of poor leadership. I feel bad for those students.
    I can't read your posts because my eyes are fixated on your pretty rainbow graphs.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RhythmDawg View Post
    I can't read your posts because my eyes are fixated on your pretty rainbow graphs.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    Ice Cream...

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    Why wait until January when they can start at Tech in September? That's what you're recommending to them, right? This is one of the ways the quarter system can actually be useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Houston Techsan View Post
    Can these students meet Tech's selective admissions requirements?
    Selective admissions? Some could, some couldn't. Have no idea what % that might be.

How is the housing situation in Ruston? That's the problem keeping hundreds of students from attending NSU.

Someone else asked what was done years back to provide housing....dorms. The last of the dorms closed in May. That was the grad-student dorm, affecting about 60 students who have been displaced. The on-campus apartments, The Columns, and the just off-campus apts, The Frog Pond, both booked out back in May. Not a room to be had.

There is a "goldmine" sitting just off campus. An area just begging to be bought up, renovated, and marketed to students/faculty/staff.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Selective admissions? Some could, some couldn't. Have no idea what % that might be.

How is the housing situation in Ruston? That's the problem keeping hundreds of students from attending NSU.

Someone else asked what was done years back to provide housing....dorms. The last of the dorms closed in May. That was the grad-student dorm, affecting about 60 students who have been displaced. The on-campus apartments, The Columns, and the just off-campus apts, The Frog Pond, both booked out back in May. Not a room to be had.

There is a "goldmine" sitting just off campus. An area just begging to be bought up, renovated, and marketed to students/faculty/staff.
    Simple

https://www.google.com/search?q=tiny...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde View Post
    Hah! that's my wife's idea to resolve the housing crunch. She says, let's build a "tiny village." I said for who, Munchkins? She is right, can fit more units/acre if they are tiny houses.

+ Reply to Thread