+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Legendary Climber found

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Legendary Climber found

Find this interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1EpEiSRPsY

After being missing on Mt Everest for 75 years, the remains of George Mallory have been discovered. This is part of a longer video in which positive identification is provided. This is from 1999.

http://malloryexpedition.com/george.htm

Champ RhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond repute RhythmDawg's Avatar

Re: Legendary Climber found

It is moving reading some of the stories of people perishing on that mountain. I recall reading about a husband and wife. The woman fell and was injured. The group continued because there is no way anyone could help her because it would cost them their lives. Her husband...knowing she was going to die and if he tried to rescue her, it would mean death for him also...proceeded to climb down to her. They both perished.

Here is a recent one.
    http://www.news.com.au/entertainment...9f658d5f278fed

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Re: Legendary Climber found

I know what some will say: this is all voluntary. No one is forced to attempt such a dangerous endeavor. That is true. But, people die for all kinds of reasons, and many die while engaged in some kind of recreational pursuit, or in route to such. We have to LIVE! Can't just sit in a padded room hoping to avoid an accident.

We (my brother, a friend, and I) got a wild hair back in the early 80's. I was just out of college, had a "real" job, single and fancy-free, and of course, feeling invincible. So! we decided that mountain climbing looked fun. It was (is) fun, and it is challenging. We had our moments. After a few climbs, following a set path, i.e. the spikes/carabiners set by others, we got cocky and decided to blaze our own way up. Nothing like a spike pulling out at the exact critical wrong time to make ya poop your undies, and cause your life to pass before your eyes! Our friend, quit that day. Never climbed again. I thought about doing that myself.

Of course, the highest we ever went, altitude-wise, was about 12,000 feet. No need for oxygen and all that stuff. Those who scale Everest are operating in a totally hostile environment. At 12,000 feet the air is thin, and sometimes you have to pause "to catch your breath." At 24,000+ feet, there is no air to get thin!

We thought about going on a Mt. McKinley (Denali) climb, 20,300 feet up. But came to our senses and didn't! Besides, I always enjoyed rappelling anyway! All you need is 1,500 feet of straight as possible cliff face, and lots of rope!

These people who challenge Everest, and peaks like that, are a special kind of endurance athletes. I admire 'em.

+ Reply to Thread