+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: QB Controversy

Champ RhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond repute RhythmDawg's Avatar

Re: QB Controversy

Quote Originally Posted by Jacksonian View Post
    We did not play defense like we should have. That being said, I genuinely think J'Mar should have been given a quarter. Let's refine a natural talent.
    It is hard to justify that. If Jeff were here this year, no one would say what that J'Mar should have had a quarter to refine his talent.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RhythmDawg View Post
    It is hard to justify that. If Jeff were here this year, no one would say what that J'Mar should have had a quarter to refine his talent.
    Jeff ain't here. That's the point.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Higgins is what he is. There is no more learning or developing. J'Mar, supposedly, has all the potential in the world but needs to learn more of the playbook. Many have said that they feel both QB's are good for 6 more wins and I agree. That means J'Mar just needs to learn a little more of the playbook each week and we are possibly better than a 7 win team. If the coaches don't feel he is capable of that, do we want to hitch our wagon to him? Maybe we need another grad transfer next season?

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by glm47 View Post
    The offense scored 3 points in the 1st quarter and we were down 21-3. The game was essentially over at that point. Yes, we played horrible D, it was Dykes era bad. But you had to know going in that a 3-point quarter against them wasn't going to cut it.
    That's a very valid point. When we went down 21-3, I told my wife it would be very difficult to catch them now because OFFENSE is what they (Texas Tech) do.

LA Tech can't afford to spot anyone 18 points to start a game, much less one of the top offenses in the nation. I was willing to give Higgins another chance until now. But we just don't have time for "on the job training" for a 5th year senior. I hate it for the kid, but this is not a charity. I'm just ready for LA Tech to STOP with the excuses. We keep blowing golden opportunities.

Champ rabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond repute

Just looking at Higgin's stats from last night says there will be no change in qb. However, if you look at the poor timing and type of pass, I think a change is needed.

The throw into the end zone I believe to Trent, two or three defenders covering Trent.

Two screen plays, one the ball was thrown backwards Carlos caught it thankfully. The other hit Carlos in the hands but he missed it. On both plays the defense had it figured out from the beginning and were in the receivers face.

Higgins is terrible at recognizing there is no play to be made and going to a different receiver.

The game shouldn't be this fast for a 5th yr sr

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rabiddawg View Post
    Just looking at Higgin's stats from last night says there will be no change in qb. However, if you look at the poor timing and type of pass, I think a change is needed.

The throw into the end zone I believe to Trent, two or three defenders covering Trent.

Two screen plays, one the ball was thrown backwards Carlos caught it thankfully. The other hit Carlos in the hands but he missed it. On both plays the defense had it figured out from the beginning and were in the receivers face.

Higgins is terrible at recognizing there is no play to be made and going to a different receiver.

Bingo!

Higgins is 180 degrees the opposite of a QB like Mahomes. That's what it means to "see the field." It is NOT just physically seeing where your guys and their guys are at the moment. It's also understanding/anticipating where they will be in the next instant. Great QBs have this down to a "t."

Mahomes' best play last night, and the one that best illustrates this concept, was the flee-flicker. The guy he threw it to, in a blink of an eye, was not the intended receiver on that play. But the opportunity presented itself. Mahomes saw this opportunity a few seconds before he acted on it, which is why he didn't keep the ball in his hands for more than a second. He "saw" how things were developing.

Higgins....and others....does not have this ability. But other QBs have other attributes, like a great arm or a deft touch, or both, and can physically perform on a play for good results. Aaron Rogers is a good example of that type of successful QB.

Champ revf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond repute revf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rabiddawg View Post

That screen backwards was the scariest throw I have seen this year. Thankfully Carlos caught it. There were two Texas Tech players right there. If Carlos didn't catch it it would have been a TD for Texas Tech on a turnover. (nobody else around)

That one play should give people pause about starting Higgins. A 5th year senior shouldn't make that throw.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

That was a helluva catch by Henderson too. Great snag!

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

The other thing that concerns me about Higgins is it's like he doesn't know we have receivers not named Trent Taylor and Carlos Henderson. Yes, those are our two playmakers, and we want to get the ball in their hands as much as possible. But you can't force what's not there. The throw in the end zone to Taylor on the first drive is a prime example of how he locks onto his intended target and will force the issue no matter what. If the guy he wants to throw it to isn't open, he hasn't shown the ability to make his progressions and get the ball out to a second or third option. This is a skill. Some guys have it, and some guys don't. Higgins hasn't shown that he has that ability, and as a fifth-year season, it's highly unlikely he develops it between now and Saturday.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Mahomes had 11 or 12 receivers playing pitch and catch -

Higgins basically had 2 -

While defense was an issue - there was a noticeable drop in TTech's defensive pressure once they got up 21-3 because they knew we couldn't stop them defensively

Middle, WKU and USM are licking their chops right now -

And I'm not certain we can win at UMass right now
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ 70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute 70TECHGRAD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T1 View Post
    If the score was 45-10, nobody is talking about how bad Higgins played, imo. He played fine. I think.... will have to watch the replay, but he looked fine from the stands. Definitely best performance of his career.
    That isn't what I saw from the stands! Higgins threw it over Carlos' head at least 3 times that could have been a TD!! He threw it behind several receivers and threw it over Trent Taylor's head several times!! I don't understand why Skip didn't put J'Mar in at the 4th quarter to see if he could be more productive.

Champ 70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute 70TECHGRAD's Avatar

Our D couldn't stop the pass over the middle or the sideline pass to a player coming out of the backfield. TT decided to run those plays until we stopped them. Well, they ran them all night. Our safteis got burned A LOT on those plays!!

Champ detltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by 70TECHGRAD View Post
    That isn't what I saw from the stands! Higgins threw it over Carlos' head at least 3 times that could have been a TD!! He threw it behind several receivers and threw it over Trent Taylor's head several times!! I don't understand why Skip didn't put J'Mar in at the 4th quarter to see if he could be more productive.
    One of the passes to Henderson was overthrown because Henderson wasn't at full speed. I noted before the play that he looked winded. He still got behind his man though.

+ Reply to Thread