+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Another "close" loss - what needs to change?

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Re: Another "close" loss - what needs to change?

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    I guess we'll just have to add this close Arkansas loss to the MUCH TOO LONG LIST of close losses (in OT, or by 3 pts or less) that LA Tech has experienced in the last 6 years.

That's 11 "close" games that LA Tech lost in overtime or by 3 pts or less. And quite honestly, I thought LA Tech had the better team in all but the TX A&M game. And I didn't even include our 6-point losses at Miss St (in 2011) and Fresno St (in 2010), or our 7-point loss against Utah St (2012).

By contrast, LA Tech has won only 3 games by 3 points or less over that same time period.

UTEP 38-35 in 2013
    UTSA 34-31 in 2015
    UTEP 17-15 in 2015

The statistics say this program isn't winning its fair share of close football games. My question to each of you is, what does LA Tech need to change in order to start winning more of these "close" games?
    Change? I know! play UTEP more!

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    LOL! Hey.....according to the stats, that would probably work.

Champ Dogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond repute Dogsince65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Black View Post
    Hang on to the ball and get 7 instead of settling for field goal attempts. In the Holtz era that is what stands out in these close games.
    . Not what stands out in my mind---back to back bowl wins - 9-4 seasons and growing facilities and depth. Assume we play 2 money games every year.. Holtz goes out and gets what we need to be successful. Only 2 negative beyond his control -- can't keep coaching staff from taking more money and leaving and these away games

MOST people know Vegas gives THREE points for home field-- of the 11 games listed all were away except AM. 10 were by 3 or less. MY answer to this thread -- what needs to change-- play these games at HOME..
    Last edited by Dogsince65; 09-04-2016 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Spell

Champ eagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    On the heals of Speith's historic victory, below are 5 wise tips provided by the legendary Jack Nicklaus who said you must "learn how to win." This advice isn't just for golf--it's equally relevant in work and life. Simply drop the word "golf" and add in what you are focused on instead.
    1. You have to learn how your body will respond under intense pressure.
    2. You have to make certain mistakes so you can learn how to overcome them and how to avoid them later.
    3. You have to then learn how to shrink your mistakes (you will always make mistakes), how to make them small enough they won't cost you the tournament.
    4. You have to learn the rhythms and pacing of golf so that you won't try risky shots when you don't need them.
    5. You have to learn that golf tournaments are not usually won by making the heroic shot but, instead, by not making the disastrous ones.

We didn't expect to win most of those games.

Big Dog Hermandawg is a jewel in the roughHermandawg is a jewel in the roughHermandawg is a jewel in the roughHermandawg is a jewel in the roughHermandawg is a jewel in the roughHermandawg is a jewel in the roughHermandawg is a jewel in the roughHermandawg is a jewel in the roughHermandawg is a jewel in the roughHermandawg is a jewel in the roughHermandawg is a jewel in the rough Hermandawg's Avatar

Most of the replies say the same thing in different words but are spot on. I like Holtz and don't think we could currently attract a more stable head coach. Holtz however won't get us to the level we are capable of reaching until he loses his conservative play calling in close games, especially on the road in P5 venues. We all know in these venues that you have to allow for the margin of the biased home-cooking refs, especially in Arkansas.
    He and his staff have done a tremendous job of evaluating and recruiting great talent. Now it's time to "Turn the Dawgs Loose!!". Trust your playmakers to make plays in crunch time and quit fu%$ing around in the 4th quarter. We are blessed to have tremendous athletes and we put the outcome of the game on the shoulders of kickers and punters......are you kidding me? Step on their damn throats and stuff the ball in the endzone. Use your converted tight end, now RB (Holly) to pound the defensive line late in the game when he's fresh and the defense is gassed.
    No one in their right mind can completely criticize Holtz, but it's time to turn these Dawgs loose!
    I am now anxiously looking forward to a hell of a 4 year run with these young players. I respect Ryan Higgins for being loyal and staying the course when most would have transferred, but if he falters at all in the upcoming weeks we need to go with the guy who can serve us well for 4 years!

Champ eagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Hermandawg View Post
    Most of the replies say the same thing in different words but are spot on. I like Holtz and don't think we could currently attract a more stable head coach. Holtz however won't get us to the level we are capable of reaching until he loses his conservative play calling in close games, especially on the road in P5 venues. We all know in these venues that you have to allow for the margin of the biased home-cooking refs, especially in Arkansas.
    He and his staff have done a tremendous job of evaluating and recruiting great talent. Now it's time to "Turn the Dawgs Loose!!". Trust your playmakers to make plays in crunch time and quit fu%$ing around in the 4th quarter. We are blessed to have tremendous athletes and we put the outcome of the game on the shoulders of kickers and punters......are you kidding me? Step on their damn throats and stuff the ball in the endzone. Use your converted tight end, now RB (Holly) to pound the defensive line late in the game when he's fresh and the defense is gassed.
    No one in their right mind can completely criticize Holtz, but it's time to turn these Dawgs loose!
    I am now anxiously looking forward to a hell of a 4 year run with these young players. I respect Ryan Higgins for being loyal and staying the course when most would have transferred, but if he falters at all in the upcoming weeks we need to go with the guy who can serve us well for 4 years!
    Hind sight is 20/20. Holtz is putting us in the best position to win games. We have to make the plays!

Big Dog Hermandawg is a jewel in the roughHermandawg is a jewel in the roughHermandawg is a jewel in the roughHermandawg is a jewel in the roughHermandawg is a jewel in the roughHermandawg is a jewel in the roughHermandawg is a jewel in the roughHermandawg is a jewel in the roughHermandawg is a jewel in the roughHermandawg is a jewel in the roughHermandawg is a jewel in the rough Hermandawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eagle2180 View Post
    Hind sight is 20/20. Holtz is putting us in the best position to win games. We have to make the plays!
    Hindsight my ass. Our punter has been an inconsistent liability his whole career which started late in 2014 at the HOD Bowl. He doesn't have a clue where it is going and HCSH has stated this many times. I watched him practice in Bossier 2 weeks ago and it is scary to watch. Poor kid has more snakes in his head than Medusa. Sure with an 80+ man roster, someone can punt more consistently.

Hindsight my ass. Our punter has been an inconsistent liability his whole career which started late in 2014 at the HOD Bowl. He doesn't have a clue where it is going and HCSH has stated this many times. I watched him practice in Bossier 2 weeks ago and it is scary to watch. Poor kid has more snakes in his head than Medusa. Sure with an 80+ man roster, someone can punt more consistently.
    So the punter is to blame for the loss? WTF?

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

Yeah not sure I get that one😳

Champ Tech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant future Tech52's Avatar

I thought punting was fine in this game. And I think special teams played well outside of the missed FG.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Really good post. Against Arkansas, LA Tech scored fewer and fewer points as the game went on. In the 4th quarter Tech scored zero points. Some would say its because Holtz got more and more conservative as the game wore on.

We scored 14 points in the first half. One might think the only reason we were in the game at all was due to Holtz conservative, ball control, don't make mistakes game plan.

TRUE STORY.....in this past off season, I personally asked (via e-mail and voice mail messages) the LA Tech coaches to look at a punter from Dallas. I'm personal friends with the kids parents in Dallas, and they thought I could help this kid WALK ON at LA Tech. (The famiily has ties to north Louisiana.) The kid was a very good punter at Lake Highlands (Class 5A), and had graduated in 2015. He also had recently won 1st place in a couple of "punter camps" and graded real high in the punter system for recruits (yes, apparently there's a "punter grading system" that lay people such as myself are not even aware of.).

So I sent the entire coaching staff (copied everybody) a couple of videos of the kid punting, along with a couple of e-mails and voice mail messages. Not a single LA Tech football coach ever bothered to respond. They wouldn't even look at him, or return his call either. Oh....and his grades are excellent.

Today the kid is the backup punter for Oklahoma. So if our LA Tech punter doesn't work out well this year, I absolutely reserve the right to SLAM and criticize Holtz's decision making in this area.
    Last edited by HogDawg; 09-04-2016 at 08:54 PM.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

It's not too much to expect our special teams to play a great game. Our special teams have been bad for so long, we think games like yesterday were fine.

The first punt should have pinned them back in inside their 20...It was a 32 yd punt downed at the 23. Not horrible, but not a good kick.

The second punt was better. 49 yards out of bounds which seems to be his max.

The third punt was not good...34 yds to the 28. Should have pinned them inside the 20.

There was also an illegal block that cost us 10 yards on a nice punt return by Taylor.

Big Dog LATECH87 is just really niceLATECH87 is just really niceLATECH87 is just really niceLATECH87 is just really niceLATECH87 is just really niceLATECH87 is just really niceLATECH87 is just really niceLATECH87 is just really niceLATECH87 is just really niceLATECH87 is just really nice LATECH87's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Amos Moses View Post
    We need to start playing to win and quit playing not to lose.
    You are right on this

+ Reply to Thread