+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Another "close" loss - what needs to change?

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

Re: Another "close" loss - what needs to change?

Quote Originally Posted by SicemDawgz View Post
    It was 3rd and about 12 and we were backed up deep in our on territory. Had just gotten some sort of dumb penalty and it felt like the air had gone out of the balloon. That's when Hunter Lee made a one handed catch of 20 + yards for the first down. I can still remember the excitement in Dave's voice making that call. Remember exactly where I was when it happened. I had been making laps in my truck listening to the game and was pulling in my brothers driveway. Jackson did make a big catch of 20 + yards later that drive but I think it was a first down pass that set up the eventual score. Have looked for game notes but can't find them to save my life.
    Finally found the game notes for that game.

https://www.espn.co.uk/college-football/playbyplay?gameId=313232440

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

Wasn't that the play Quinton Patton pushed Hunter Lee out of bounds to stop the clock?

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Finally found the game notes for that game.

https://www.espn.co.uk/college-footb...meId=313232440
    Here's the game-winning TD drive. They both made big catches. Lee had the big 3rd down catch, and Jackson is the one I remember making the "miraculous" catch.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

It was 3rd and about 12 and we were backed up deep in our on territory. Had just gotten some sort of dumb penalty and it felt like the air had gone out of the balloon. That's when Hunter Lee made a one handed catch of 20 + yards for the first down. I can still remember the excitement in Dave's voice making that call. Remember exactly where I was when it happened. I had been making laps in my truck listening to the game and was pulling in my brothers driveway. Jackson did make a big catch of 20 + yards later that drive but I think it was a first down pass that set up the eventual score. Have looked for game notes but can't find them to save my life.
    DawgPix has some excellent photos of this sequence of events from that day. Maybe he'll repost. It's kind of nice to remember one of the CLOSE games that we WON.

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Techsan View Post
    Wasn't that the play Quinton Patton pushed Hunter Lee out of bounds to stop the clock?
    I think you're right

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Pushed! Pulled! practically tackled him out of bounds.

Really enjoyed that comeback!

Kept posting: rally to the end, never give up. And the Dawgs didn't. They got it done!

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Pushed! Pulled! rally to the end, never give up. And the Dawgs didn't. They got it done!
    twss

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    I guess we'll just have to add this close Arkansas loss to the MUCH TOO LONG LIST of close losses (in OT, or by 3 pts or less) that LA Tech has experienced in the last 6 years.

Arkansas 21-20 in 2016
    Kansas St 39-33 (3OT) in 2015
    W Kentucky 41-38 in 2015
    Marshall 26-23 in 2014
    NSU 30-27 in 2014
    ODU 30-27 (OT) in 2014
    Kansas 13-10 in 2013
    TX A&M 59-57 in 2012
    Utah State 48-41 (OT) in 2012
    Mississippi St 26-20 (OT) in 2011
    Southern Miss 19-17 in 2011
    Houston 35-34 in 2011
    Southern Miss 13-12 in 2010

That's 13 "close" games that LA Tech lost in overtime or by 3 pts or less. And quite honestly, I thought LA Tech had the better team in all but the TX A&M game. And I didn't include our 6-point loss at Fresno St (in 2010).

By contrast, LA Tech has won only 3 games by 3 points or less over that same time period.

UTEP 38-35 in 2013
    UTSA 34-31 in 2015
    UTEP 17-15 in 2015

The statistics say this program isn't winning its fair share (only 18.75%) of close football games. My question to each of you is, what does LA Tech need to change in order to start winning more of these "close" games?
    Okay.....so this MTSU loss was by 4 points instead of 3. Semantics. We're still a football program that can't CLOSE the close deals. So after adding the MTSU loss to this list, LA Tech is now 3-14 over the last 6 years in close contests that were decided by 4 points or less, including OT's. That's just sick! Somebody needs to study this mess. It just ain't right.

CLOSE Losses:

MTSU 38-34 in 2016
    Arkansas 21-20 in 2016
    Kansas St 39-33 (3OT) in 2015
    W Kentucky 41-38 in 2015
    Marshall 26-23 in 2014
    NSU 30-27 in 2014
    ODU 30-27 (OT) in 2014
    Kansas 13-10 in 2013
    TX A&M 59-57 in 2012
    Utah State 48-41 (OT) in 2012
    Mississippi St 26-20 (OT) in 2011
    Southern Miss 19-17 in 2011
    Houston 35-34 in 2011
    Southern Miss 13-12 in 2010

That's 14 "close" games that LA Tech lost in overtime or by 4 pts or less. This list does NOT include our 6-point loss at Fresno St (in 2010).

By contrast, LA Tech has won only 3 games by 3 points or less over that same time period.

Close Wins:

UTEP 38-35 in 2013
    UTSA 34-31 in 2015
    UTEP 17-15 in 2015

Champ THEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond repute THEarmada's Avatar

I think HCSH models a mellow disposition and approach to football. I don't think you motivate young men for a physical battle by designating some games as more important than others. Winning must ALWAYS be the absolute priority anytime you step on the field (even if it's highly unlikely). I've watched Skips teams dominate some opponents physically and talent-wise yet as you've demonstrated, when it's time to go out and steal a win our team isn't usually capable.

You either love winning and hate losing or you don't, and I'm not sure skip hates losing enough.

Champ T1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond repute

4-14 (UCA in 2011)... still terrible. Where would our program be if we won all 18.

Champ DJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by T1 View Post
    4-14 (UCA in 2011)... still terrible. Where would our program be if we won all 18.
    At least two conference championships along with an Access Bowl appearance and finish in the top 20 that year.

We'd still be in CUSA, though.

Champ Tech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant future Tech52's Avatar

This game shouldnt have been a close one.

Champ T1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond repute

This one was similar to Houston and ODU in that we dominated the first half and got dominated in the second half.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T1 View Post
    This one was similar to Houston and ODU in that we dominated the first half and got dominated in the second half.
    Selective memory.

We lost both Houston and ODU due to poor clock management and playing not to lose. Not sure our offense could have executed in the second half last night, but they didn't try.

Champ 70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute 70TECHGRAD's Avatar

Yep, they called it "the tug of war play".

+ Reply to Thread