+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stanley Nelson

Champ Amos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond repute

Stanley Nelson

Some of you know Stanley, who is a Tech journalism grad. He is now the editor of the Concordia Sentinel in Ferriday. Stanley has written a factual book named "Devils Walking" that will come out early October. Stanley cronicles the KKK in Concordia Parish and Adams County (Natchez) in the mid to late '60's. I was born and raised in Ferriday, and my dad worked with Stanley at the Concordia Sentinel, so I am very interested in this book.

Stanley was a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize several years ago for his columns about Klan activity, and especially the arson killing of Frank Morris, a shoe repair store owner in Ferriday. He was fire bombed in December 1964, and lasted 4 days with mortal burns. The FBI and others tried to get Frank to identify the killers, but he either would not or could not identify them. Most say he wouldn't, fearing reprisal from them.

Go to the link https://www.facebook.com/devilsawalk...=page_internal to read about the book, and listen to podcasts.

By the way, the character Henry Sexton in Greg Iles' "Natchez Burning" is based on Stanley and his work. Greg is from Natchez. If you haven't read it, it is a fascinating book.....one of a trilogy.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Re: Stanley Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by Amos Moses View Post
    Some of you know Stanley, who is a Tech journalism grad. He is now the editor of the Concordia Sentinel in Ferriday. Stanley has written a factual book named "Devils Walking" that will come out early October. Stanley cronicles the KKK in Concordia Parish and Adams County (Natchez) in the mid to late '60's. I was born and raised in Ferriday, and my dad worked with Stanley at the Concordia Sentinel, so I am very interested in this book.

Stanley was a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize several years ago for his columns about Klan activity, and especially the arson killing of Frank Morris, a shoe repair store owner in Ferriday. He was fire bombed in December 1964, and lasted 4 days with mortal burns. The FBI and others tried to get Frank to identify the killers, but he either would not or could not identify them. Most say he wouldn't, fearing reprisal from them.

Go to the link https://www.facebook.com/devilsawalk...=page_internal to read about the book, and listen to podcasts.

By the way, the character Henry Sexton in Greg Iles' "Natchez Burning" is based on Stanley and his work. Greg is from Natchez. If you haven't read it, it is a fascinating book.....one of a trilogy.
    Thanks. I stopped in to visit with Stanley a year or so ago. He and I were Tech Talk'ers and good friends.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

What can you tell us about Nellie's?

Champ Amos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde View Post
    What can you tell us about Nellie's?
    HaHa!! Well, Nellie, you might say, was a favorite lady in the area. Nellie had this little house that was very popular, and always drew a crowd. Teenage boys, like myself, would drive by, sipping on our quart of Regal Beer, and would dare the others in the car to go up and knock on the door. No one that I know of ever had the nerve. Everyone, including the local police and county officials, turned a blind eye to her "business". Many of them were her clients.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

HaHa!! Well, Nellie, you might say, was a favorite lady in the area. Nellie had this little house that was very popular, and always drew a crowd. Teenage boys, like myself, would drive by, sipping on our quart of Regal Beer, and would dare the others in the car to go up and knock on the door. No one that I know of ever had the nerve. Everyone, including the local police and county officials, turned a blind eye to her "business". Many of them were her clients.
    I think you should have turned the question around on him.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Good old Memorial Gym

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77 View Post
    Morville Lounge was so notorious that even horny teenage boys stayed away from it!

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77 View Post
    I think you should have turned the question around on him.
    Clyde, I do believe you may have some intimate knowledge of Nellie's yourself. Is this correct? After all, Natchez is only about 2.5 hours away from Ruston!

+ Reply to Thread