+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: On campus today

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

Re: On campus today

Concerning the new parking lot photos, I thought the master plan showed there would be kind of a "green mall" stretching from Tech Drive to the Quadrangle. I was thinking there would be more green space in front of Memorial Gym. Maybe I'm "mis-remembering".

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by tenacious_dog View Post
    Concerning the new parking lot photos, I thought the master plan showed there would be kind of a "green mall" stretching from Tech Drive to the Quadrangle. I was thinking there would be more green space in front of Memorial Gym. Maybe I'm "mis-remembering".
    You're correct. I'll try to find my copy of the plans, I dont remember the exact location of the mall.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Tech Green is on page 32 of the plan. I spoke to a number of people about the plan last September. Several told me the concept of Tech Green was going to be scrapped. Others said it may end up happening.

In any case, the plan was for a parking lot or garage to replace the Nat. That happened. The lot between Woodard and Robinson would then be torn up and turned into green space. Eventually the bookstore would be torn down, as well. In addition, the parking lot between Madison and the old president's home/Ropp Center would also be torn up and turned into green space. That would provide for a linear green mall between Keeny and the new lot that was just constructed. Only the old president's home/Ropp Center would be in the path.

Lost parking would be replaced with several parking garages - also part of the plan.

http://www.latech.edu/masterplan/pdf...inalreport.pdf
    Last edited by The Historian; 07-17-2017 at 01:13 PM.

Champ WWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond repute WWDog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Techsan View Post
    Carson-Taylor was built in the late 50s or 61 at the latest. I thought is was a dump in 1965-1969. I had six chemistry courses and two physics courses there. When new it provided much needed class room space but I agree it needs to be replaced or upgraded (Probably not feasible to upgrade). The old Chemistry building sat beside the English building on the Quad across from Keeny where the book store is now. I can't remember having classes there but did in the English building. Or maybe what we called the English building was the old Chemistry building. Thankfully we got Madison my junior year which makes it 49 years old. For that matter the Education Complex is 48 years old. I can't believe that Robinson is still there right beside the new Hale.

That new parking lot is where the practice football field was and of course the Natatorium later. The swimming pool was originally outdoor. What were they thinking? They could only have classes in the summer which I don't believe they did.
    When did they cover the pool? I liked that pool the way it was, a big T! lol
    WWDog
    La Tech
    Region and hyphen free since 1894!
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by WWDog View Post
    When did they cover the pool? I liked that pool the way it was, a big T! lol
    Early 80s. I've seen pictures from around 1980 and it was still uncovered.

According to Dr. Guice in his interview on 97.7 yesterday the bridge financing to start work on the Integrated Engineering and Science building was approved by the Louisiana Bond Commission last week.

And a side note: The project has never had to be streamlined or value engineered. The expansion of the project approved by the state in 2014 is going to be the final design - 130,000 square feet. It was originally planned in 2011 for 60,000 square feet. To give everybody and idea - Tech Pointe is 42,000 square feet. This new building will be more than three times its size.
    Last edited by The Historian; 07-26-2017 at 11:12 AM.

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

Where will it be located?

Where will it be located?
    Near Tech Pointe.

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.5258...7i13312!8i6656

I remember seeing the sign now. I had found an old article that said it would be next to Bogard but another engineering building was put in that spot a few years ago. Thanks.

That is going to be a very impressive building!

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

I remember seeing the sign now. I had found an old article that said it would be next to Bogard but another engineering building was put in that spot a few years ago. Thanks.

That is going to be a very impressive building!
    This is what I found, not sure if this is the latest designs.
    http://coes.latech.edu/building/campaign_goal.php

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    This is what I found, not sure if this is the latest designs.
    http://coes.latech.edu/building/campaign_goal.php

Very impressive! I have mixed feelings about some of the new buildings not being a more traditional southern style university architecture, but no one can deny that the campus is looking very impressive.

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

Is there a F. Jay Taylor Boulevard?
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CARTEK View Post
    Is there a F. Jay Taylor Boulevard?
    Not a chance!

We're trying to purge the campus of anything F.Jay ever did. Didn't you get the memo?

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    According to Dr. Guice in his interview on 97.7 yesterday the bridge financing to start work on the Integrated Engineering and Science building was approved by the Louisiana Bond Commission last week.

And a side note: The project has never had to be streamlined or value engineered. The expansion of the project approved by the state in 2014 is going to be the final design - 130,000 square feet. It was originally planned in 2011 for 60,000 square feet. To give everybody and idea - Tech Pointe is 42,000 square feet. This new building will be more than three times its size.
    Just to follow-up on this and ask a question to anyone who may know. At 130,000 square feet this building would be bigger than Bogard and Carson-Taylor combined. The plan is to renovate Bogard when this building is finished. Is the plan to move everything in Carson-Taylor either to this new building or to Bogard?

Is the plan to subject Carson-Taylor to the wrecking ball? It would be the perfect spot for several new apartment dorms.
    Last edited by The Historian; 07-28-2017 at 08:23 AM.

Dr. Guice also mentioned that there were 4 "complexes" of dorms under construction at the moment that would open this year. A total of 11 "complexes" would eventually all be open by the end of next year.

He also said some dorms currently open would be torn down, as well. I assume that probably means Graham and Harper.
    Last edited by The Historian; 07-27-2017 at 11:57 AM.

+ Reply to Thread