+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: On campus today

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Re: On campus today

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    Just to follow-up on this and ask a question to anyone who may know. At 130,000 square feet this building would be bigger than Bogart and Carson-Taylor combined. The plan is to renovate Bogart when this building is finished. Is the plan to move everything in Carson-Taylor either to this new building or to Bogart?

Is the plan to subject Carson-Taylor to the wrecking ball? It would be the perfect spot for several new apartment dorms.
    It would definitely be a sweet spot if you were an Engineer major. Not far from the cafeteria, near your classes, and just a walk to near by fastfood.

Champ Tech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant future Tech52's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    This is what I found, not sure if this is the latest designs.
    http://coes.latech.edu/building/campaign_goal.php

That's the latest, I saw it on a posterboard in Bogard this past year.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps the new building will take at least the chemistry and physics departments out of C-T since they're both in the COES. Of course the labs for all of these take up quite a bit of space. It would reduce the size requirement for Biology. Home Ec (or whatever they call it now) used to be in CT, also, back when it was a separate college (we called them Schools before Tech became a University),

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Techsan View Post
    Perhaps the new building will take at least the chemistry and physics departments out of C-T since they're both in the COES. Of course the labs for all of these take up quite a bit of space. It would reduce the size requirement for Biology. Home Ec (or whatever they call it now) used to be in CT, also, back when it was a separate college (we called them Schools before Tech became a University),
    All of my physics classes were in Davison Hall (aviation building).

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

My how things have changed. All of my chemistry (six courses - well 12 since the labs were all separate credit courses) and physics (two courses - labs combined with lecture for credit) were in C-T. But they should at least get the physics classes back to the new building. They could keep those stinking organic labs out, though. I really hated organic chemistry lab and there was even one of the prettiest girls in school right next to me in one.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    All of my physics classes were in Davison Hall (aviation building).
    Quote Originally Posted by Houston Techsan View Post
    My how things have changed. All of my chemistry (six courses - well 12 since the labs were all separate credit courses) and physics (two courses - labs combined with lecture for credit) were in C-T. But they should at least get the physics classes back to the new building. They could keep those stinking organic labs out, though. I really hated organic chemistry lab and there was even one of the prettiest girls in school right next to me in one.
    I take that back. I forgot about physics labs. My physics labs were in CTH, but my physics lectures were in Davison Hall.

All my chemistry lectures and labs were in the dump known as CTH.

Champ Tech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant future Tech52's Avatar

My physics class wad in Davison. All chemistry classes were in CTH. The rooms were renovated at least.

Champ WWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond repute WWDog's Avatar

Chemistry CTH T Ray Johnson! Remember it well.
    WWDog
    La Tech
    Region and hyphen free since 1894!
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ CutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=The Historian;1654814 Is the plan to subject Carson-Taylor to the wrecking ball? It would be the perfect spot for several new apartment dorms.[/QUOTE]
    If they tear down CT and all those dorms, there will be almost nothing left with any history. Why don't they just rip it all down and start over for you young ones who love bright and shiny new stuff?! Sorry, I do like nice, new things, but is there no room for sentiment/tradition at all these days? Surprised since they need a new engineering building that they just didn't get rid of Bogard. I could, however, be on board with removng Nethkin which never fit in. I guess i just love the old architecture and don't know why they have to mess with it or can't design new ones with the same traditional look. And, yeah, I'm old and graduated in '72 so who cares what i think?

Quote Originally Posted by CutiePie72 View Post
    If they tear down CT and all those dorms, there will be almost nothing left with any history. Why don't they just rip it all down and start over for you young ones who love bright and shiny new stuff?! Sorry, I do like nice, new things, but is there no room for sentiment/tradition at all these days? Surprised since they need a new engineering building that they just didn't get rid of Bogard. I could, however, be on board with removng Nethkin which never fit in. I guess i just love the old architecture and don't know why they have to mess with it or can't design new ones with the same traditional look. And, yeah, I'm old and graduated in '72 so who cares what i think?
    Our traditional buildings could use a major touchup. CTH is not what anyone on campus would call a traditional building. If CTH is really in as bad a shape they say it is, it can meet the wrecking ball. Bogard is still going to be used once the new building is opened. It needs a major overhaul, imo. Especially its bathrooms. Multiple times this year the 3rd floor mens restroom has overflowed, gone into the halls, and down the stairwell.

Champ CutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to behold

True, CT is not in the same boat with bogard, keeny, howard, etc.--just was there before FJ's new buildings and seems more traditional in that sense. And, yeah, i understand they need sprucing up, but think of all the much older buildings at older universities that are still going strong. Poor maintenance on our part? It's just sad.

Id hope an upgrade is in the works for Bogard in the future, since it doesnt seem to be going anywhere. It needs modern bathrooms and more updated classrooms, that would increase its appeal a lot.

Im looking forward to seeing the upgraded cafeteria/student center.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with wanting to keep our beautiful red brick buildings. I like the look of an old historic university. I am not against building new and no one would deny all the new buildings are nice, but why not update the older ones and build the new ones to match? I am not talking about the ones that came along under F.J. Those did not blend in at all.

Renovate buildings like this and build new ones (with modern interiors) to match. They did a great job with the clock tower!

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by CutiePie72 View Post
    I don't think there are any plans at the present time to tear down Adams, Aswell, or Dudley - all WPA dorms that were renovated in the 80s.

And it's also worth mentioning that the original Harper Hall was torn down in the 60s to make way for the current building. When I was in school some of our older alums would talk about your generation as being the one wanting the shiny new stuff.

What most consider the heart of the campus - the WPA buildings built in the 30s, including Keeny, Howard, University/Old Library, Tolliver, and Bogard have all been completely renovated in the past 30 years or scheduled for renovation (Bogard). I would like to see Tech gut and renovate Adams, Aswell, and Dudley and turn them into apartments dorms. Keeping those buildings in place helps with the continuity of the campus and gives Tech its feel as a historic southern campus.
    Last edited by The Historian; 07-28-2017 at 09:07 AM.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    I agree with wanting to keep our beautiful red brick buildings. I like the look of an old historic university. I am not against building new and no one would deny all the new buildings are nice, but why not update the older ones and build the new ones to match? I am not talking about the ones that came along under F.J. Those did not blend in at all.

Renovate buildings like this and build new ones (with modern interiors) to match. They did a great job with the clock tower!
    About 99% of our alumni base completely agrees with you. The new IESB seems to be a blend of modern and historic with its brick and columns. But sandwiched between it and Bogard is Tech Pointe, which looks like a jumbled mess that's out of place.

The new business building has some characteristics that would allow it to blend with the WPA buildings that sit a few hundred feet from it. But then most of one side of the building is painted yellow. What were they thinking? I was told from the very start the yellow paint began to accumulate dirt. Only months after the building opened it looked like it needed to be powerwashed. And it wasn't a way to save money or value engineer the building. That's the way the architect designed it. Several Business professors began to call it the yellow dog. The day after the Tulane football game in 2013 I walked the exterior with a business professor. He pointed out the fact that the building already looked like it was aging.

+ Reply to Thread