+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tech #5 passing offense in Nation Higgins #14 with 1 game less than others ( except

Champ DJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Tech #5 passing offense in Nation Higgins #14 with 1 game less than others ( exc

Quote Originally Posted by T1 View Post
    The dearth of talent on that offense was so obvious to me.
    Sigh...in 2013, you were right and I was wrong. There, I said it.

Champ 70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute 70TECHGRAD's Avatar

Re: Tech #5 passing offense in Nation Higgins #14 with 1 game less than others ( exc

Quote Originally Posted by glm47 View Post
    Here's a stat for all of you stat lovers - 1 win and 3 losses.

Just win, baby. That's why you play the games. What's disappointing is that we should be 3-1.
    We should be 4-0 !!!!

Champ 70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute 70TECHGRAD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jubru View Post
    1 - 3

scoring (touchdowns):
    vs arkansas (sec): 2 out of 10; 20%
    vs scst (fbs): 6 out of 14; 43%
    vs ttu(b12): 6 out of 11; 55%
    vs mtsu (sb...cusa): 4 out of 13; 31%

scoring (overall):
    vs arkansas (sec): 4 out of 10; 40%
    vs scst (fbs): 9 out of 14; 64%
    vs ttu (b12): 7 out of 11; 64%
    vs mtsu (sb....cusa): 6 out of 13; 46%
    1-3 =25% = f

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T1 View Post
    I've typed stuff before that I had to delete before I hit Post because I didn't really believe it. Do I really want to put my credibility on Higgins' shoulders? He's 7 interceptions waiting to happen. (but having a really great season so far by his standards).
    Higgins is a mixed bag. Yes he threw for a lot of yards against MTSU. But, he also had some real bad plays too. I just went back and re-watched the MTSU game. In addition to having three passes batted down at the line of scrimmage, and two passes that should have been intercepted, he inexplicably threw a couple of passes in the ground far short of their intended target.

Also, I forgot that Higgins killed a very successful drive for us at the MTSU 38-yd line with only 14:32 left in the 4th quarter. Needing to score badly to slow MTSU's 2nd half momentum, LA Tech had already moved the ball from it's own 25-yd line and obtained 2 1st downs on this drive. Finally, on 2nd down and 4 at the MTSU 38, Higgins stepped back into the pocket to pass, and literally "wiffed" the ball. That is to say he DROPPED the ball at the MTSU 44yd line after he had already cocked his arm back to throw it. Nobody even touched him. He just wiffed it, which of course became a fumble that he had to jump on, and a loss of yardage and down. This caused Tech to go from a 2nd down and 4 situation at the MTSU 38, to a 3rd down and 9 at the MTSU 44. Needing to throw longer now on 3rd down, Higgins threw the next pass out of bounds, killing the drive.

This was the same play that caused Skip Holtz to go off on Higgins when he came to the sideline. (The TV announcers discussed this too.) This "wiff" play that I just described --and Higgins' inability to read the blitz in the 2nd half-- were the primary reasons we only scored 14 points in the 2nd half.

Later, on 3rd down and 11 with 10:30 left in the game, Higgins took a sack on a blitz that was EASY to read. Before the snap, the TV announcer said "Watch for the blitz, here it comes!" I guess everybody knew it was coming.....except for Higgins. He didn't see it coming. Meanwhile he had Bonnett WIDE OPEN only 7 yards directly in front of him. Bonnett had lined up in the slot and ran a quick "slant" (or drag) pattern just behind the line of scrimmage, and there was NOBODY there. It was the PERFECT pass pattern for this situation. But Higgins just ate the football instead of completing the pass. If Higgins had just coughed it up to Bonnette, Bonnette would still be running.

Those are two 4th Qtr drives that Higgins turned into missed opportunities. And that's not even including our last drive that died at the MTSU 6 yd line.
    Last edited by HogDawg; 09-28-2016 at 01:16 AM.

Champ Bearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond repute

LaTech Re: Tech #5 passing offense in Nation Higgins #14 with 1 game less than others ( exc

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Higgins is a mixed bag. Yes he threw for a lot of yards against MTSU. But, he also had some real bad plays too. I just went back and re-watched the MTSU game. In addition to having three passes batted down at the line of scrimmage, and two passes that should have been intercepted, he inexplicably threw a couple of passes in the ground far short of their intended target.

Also, I forgot that Higgins killed a very successful drive for us at the MTSU 38-yd line with only 14:32 left in the 4th quarter. Needing to score badly to slow MTSU's 2nd half momentum, LA Tech had already moved the ball from it's own 25-yd line and obtained 2 1st downs on this drive. Finally, on 2nd down and 4 at the MTSU 38, Higgins stepped back into the pocket to pass, and literally "wiffed" the ball. That is to say he DROPPED the ball at the MTSU 44yd line after he had already cocked his arm back to throw it. Nobody even touched him. He just wiffed it, which of course became a fumble that he had to jump on, and a loss of yardage and down. This caused Tech to go from a 2nd down and 4 situation at the MTSU 38, to a 3rd down and 9 at the MTSU 44. Needing to throw longer now on 3rd down, Higgins threw the next pass out of bounds, killing the drive.

This was the same play that caused Skip Holtz to go off on Higgins when he came to the sideline. (The TV announcers discussed this too.) This "wiff" play that I just described --and Higgins' inability to read the blitz in the 2nd half-- were the primary reasons we only scored 14 points in the 2nd half.

Later, on 3rd down and 11 with 10:30 left in the game, Higgins took a sack on a blitz that was EASY to read. Before the snap, the TV announcer said "Watch for the blitz, here it comes!" I guess everybody knew it was coming.....except for Higgins. He didn't see it coming. Meanwhile he had Bonnett WIDE OPEN only 7 yards directly in front of him. Bonnett had lined up in the slot and ran a quick "slant" (or drag) pattern just behind the line of scrimmage, and there was NOBODY there. It was the PERFECT pass pattern for this situation. But Higgins just ate the football instead of completing the pass. If Higgins had just coughed it up to Bonnette, Bonnette would still be running.

Those are two 4th Qtr drives that Higgins turned into missed opportunities. And that's not even including our last drive that died at the MTSU 6 yd line.
    If it is true that he still has been playing injured, then those injuries would definitely have been a factor in these terrible plays.

Champ Bearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    If it is true that he still has been playing injured, then those injuries would definitely have been a factor in these terrible plays.
    According to Isabella, it looks like he has groin and shoulder injuries. The shoulder would explain the poor passes and the "whiff"-drop play, and the groin would help explain the inability to get off that blitz.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

If his poor play is due to injury, why is he still playing? Heck, if his good play is due to injury, why is he still playing??

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    If his poor play is due to injury, why is he still playing? Heck, if his good play is due to injury, why is he still playing??
    I'm not sure what you said here, but I agree.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    I'm not sure what you said here, but I agree.
    My point is, the health of our student-athletes is more important than Holtzs ego. I don't care if Higgins is great or horrible, if he's hurt so bad, he doesnt need to be on the field period.

2013 was probably largely a result of his shoulder injury. Now, apparently, he has shoulder AND groin injuries, both of which probably explain why he can't get any power under the ball.

Puppy BDAWGS04 is on top of his/her gameBDAWGS04 is on top of his/her gameBDAWGS04 is on top of his/her gameBDAWGS04 is on top of his/her gameBDAWGS04 is on top of his/her gameBDAWGS04 is on top of his/her gameBDAWGS04 is on top of his/her gameBDAWGS04 is on top of his/her gameBDAWGS04 is on top of his/her gameBDAWGS04 is on top of his/her gameBDAWGS04 is on top of his/her game

I think we will all agree that there are several reasons we are 1-3, the defense being a large part of it. However, we need to realize as well that Higgins is only going to get us to 7-5, 8-4 tops. I have been very critical of Higgins his entire time at LaTech. I do not make my attacks personal, but he does not throw a good ball, and he has never had very good arm strength. It honestly looks like he is throwing a brick sometimes. I do not buy that he is injured. We have a very good option as a back-up. Also, I know our gameplan has been to throw short passes, but Higgins arm strength has to play a part in these decisions. Lastly, in reference to HogDogs comment on the blitz on 3rd down in the 4th. I normally do not agree with him, but that blitz was very obvious. Higgins took that snap and pretty much fell down. I have no idea why he did not throw it Bonnette or check it to his hot read. It appeared Middle was blitzing the entire defense!

All this being said, I trust Holtz to put the best available option on the field for us to win. If it is Higgins, then I am in. He knows far more about his players than I do.

Champ Dogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond repute Dogsince65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dogsince65 View Post
    for those who are not bullheaded --this is something to be happy about

1. Tech #5 passing offense in Nation 1545 yards 386 avg per game 1. TT 2. Dykes Cal 3. Washington 4. Missouri
    2. Tech tied with Houston #20 total offense per game

3. Higgins #14 stats 1224 in 3 games ALL OTHERS HAVE 4 GAMES except TT qb

most of you are browsers on BBB and see the very nasty attacks on Ryan -- just wanted a separate thread as reality check. Watch the responses to this thread-- it will turn into the bullheaded crowd attacking Ryan.

hate being right-- one thread downgrading Higgins and 1 thread backing Higgins --"it will turn into ...attacking Higgins" -- I am supposed to bail on BBB because I think I am "holy" and "not opened minded".... You can IGNORE me -- I plan to continue with my defense of the 3 people who make the qb decision. I was actually shocked when one of my favorite posters joined in wit the "7 int waiting to happen". Truly doubt RH will break Terrys record of 6 passes intercepted in 1 game. Basically advised I had 3 options but I see 4... continue being the die hard supporter I have been since 1965 --

Big Dog TrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post

Higgins isn't reading the defense, Holtz is. Holtz is telling him where to throw it before the play, and apparently the go to guy on that play wasn't open yet. I have stated that many times. That's my issue with the whole situation. 5th yr QB, but the coach has to read the defense for him.

Champ Dogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond repute Dogsince65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BDAWGS04 View Post
    I think we will all agree that there are several reasons we are 1-3, the defense being a large part of it. However, we need to realize as well that Higgins is only going to get us to 7-5, 8-4 tops. I have been very critical of Higgins his entire time at LaTech. I do not make my attacks personal, but he does not throw a good ball, and he has never had very good arm strength. It honestly looks like he is throwing a brick sometimes. I do not buy that he is injured. We have a very good option as a back-up. Also, I know our gameplan has been to throw short passes, but Higgins arm strength has to play a part in these decisions. Lastly, in reference to HogDogs comment on the blitz on 3rd down in the 4th. I normally do not agree with him, but that blitz was very obvious. Higgins took that snap and pretty much fell down. I have no idea why he did not throw it Bonnette or check it to his hot read. It appeared Middle was blitzing the entire defense!

All this being said, I trust Holtz to put the best available option on the field for us to win. If it is Higgins, then I am in. He knows far more about his players than I do.
    no problem with this post but Coach Holtz outlined the history of injuries since freshman year so I trust Coach and assume you did not hear or read his quotes in Times. Most folks do not know we have not played any CUSA division teams ... not going to be easy but we need to win division games and play for conference title.. It won't happen unless the defense get some turnovers and plays better. Kept thinking about our team during the Saints game ... poor defense and Brees put into position of needing score every possession. anything short of 6-1 ( preferable 7-0 ) til S Miss game will be disappointing.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dogsince65 View Post
    anything short of 6-1 ( preferable 7-0 ) til S Miss game will be disappointing.
    I think we can all agree with statement and debate the 6-1 or 7-0 need. 7-0 is my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBulldog1962 View Post
    Higgins isn't reading the defense, Holtz is. Holtz is telling him where to throw it before the play, and apparently the go to guy on that play wasn't open yet. I have stated that many times. That's my issue with the whole situation. 5th yr QB, but the coach has to read the defense for him.
    Holtz may be able to read the defense when the play is setup, but when the ball is about to be snapped, its too late for him to help Higgins. Higgins needs to make adjustments. Which he should have when the sack came. But either he was too unfocused, too injured, or too slow to adapt.

+ Reply to Thread