+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Tech XXI retires from active service as live mascot

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Re: Tech XXI retires from active service as live mascot

Who is (or would be) responsible for the animal? Is it the Athletic Department? Someone has to be in charge, not only at games, but all week. Where is the dog housed? Does someone take it home with 'em, and then assure it's there for games?

Champ THEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond repute THEarmada's Avatar

LSU replaces a freakin tiger in an off season and it takes us years to replace a bulldog.

Champ maverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Who is (or would be) responsible for the animal? Is it the Athletic Department? Someone has to be in charge, not only at games, but all week. Where is the dog housed? Does someone take it home with 'em, and then assure it's there for games?
    Yes, or that's how it was before anyway.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by THEarmada View Post
    LSU replaces a freakin tiger in an off season and it takes us years to replace a bulldog.
    The original inspiration for LSU's mascot was not the big cat from India and Indonesia. It was the famous Confederate battalion, Wheat's Tigers. My great, great...grandfather was a company commander in that unit. Captain Obediah Miller was from Virginia and worked for a life insurance company, Life of Virginia, and they opened an office in New Orleans in 1859. He went there to manage the office. The War of Northern Aggression began and Major Robodeau Wheat, who was serving under Garibaldi in the Italian Civil War, returned home to join the Confederacy. Their point of entry was New Orleans and he announced he was forming a battalion. After months of recruiting and training he had about 500 men formed into five companies. Miller named his company the Old Dominion Guards in reference to his home state of Virginia. Wheat's Tigers helped to stop the Union break through allowing General Thomas Jackson to rally his brigade and stand like a "stonewall." Wheat was killed at the Battle of Gaines' Mill and the battalion was so decimated that the survivors were placed into other units.

So famous (infamous) were the Tigers that all Louisiana troops serving in Virginia came to be called "Tigers." LSU adopted that reference in the 1930's as I recall, but I may be wrong on that date. Of course, over time, LSU gradually dropped the reference to the Confederate unit opting to adopt the Bengal Tiger as its mascot.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

It's National Dog Day, and we still don't have a live bulldog mascot.

330 days and counting without a live mascot...

Champ Dawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond repute Dawgonit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Of course, over time, LSU gradually dropped the reference to the Confederate unit opting to adopt the Bengal Tiger as its mascot.
    Dang liberals trying to erase our past and force the tiger on us. Tigers are multicolored so the liberals use it to show how hey are forcing multiculturalism on us. Everyone knows tigers kill and they force the tiger on us to show what they're trying to do to the country. The tiger is the symbol of the liberal agenda and the downfall of America.

Champ THEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond repute THEarmada's Avatar

I'm pissed we don't have the capacity to replace our live mascot. If there's a need to create/finance a bettermascot program...they definitely haven't asked for help.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

I don't think money is the problem. I think it's having someone to head the effort is the issue.

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

Who is Frank the Tank in the picture with Malcolm from the FB post about the Coaches show yesterday?

Frank & Malcom.jpg

Champ maverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    I don't think money is the problem. I think it's having someone to head the effort is the issue.
    To head a committee? I thought bureaucracies specialized in committees. The university did a major restructuring of leadership roles in July...couldn't someone have been named "Chick/Dude in charge of the Dog?"

Quote Originally Posted by tenacious_dog View Post
    Who is Frank the Tank in the picture with Malcolm from the FB post about the Coaches show yesterday?

Attachment 14111
    I believe he belongs to the owner of the Dawg House.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techdawg28 View Post
    Definitely think Tech XXII needs to be in place by the first game. If they want to unveil him at the game that's fine, but no later than that.
    well looks like no mascot by the first game. Ain't that hard of a job to replace a dog.

Varsity Bulldog eddawgfan is just really niceeddawgfan is just really niceeddawgfan is just really niceeddawgfan is just really niceeddawgfan is just really niceeddawgfan is just really niceeddawgfan is just really niceeddawgfan is just really niceeddawgfan is just really niceeddawgfan is just really nice eddawgfan's Avatar

Ridiculous!

Champ Dawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond repute Dawgonit's Avatar

This is one of the most disappointing things I've seen from the university. This is just seems like plain laziness and neglect.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgonit View Post
    This is one of the most disappointing things I've seen from the university. This is just seems like plain laziness and neglect.
    Dont worry, I'm sure there will be something worse soon.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

I have done some quick calculations and find that when I graduated in 1969 - 48 years ago - we had Tech XII. (I know he was around earlier than that. I have a picture of him in a 1963 yearbook.) That is 10 new mascots in only 48 years for an average length of service of 4.8 years. I thought even bull dogs had a longer useful life. Of course a couple didn't last but a two or three years. Someone may have more detailed records of the ones in between.

+ Reply to Thread