+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Update on Video Production (ESPN3)

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Update on Video Production (ESPN3)

Found this in the Deming Headlight: http://www.demingheadlight.com/story...game/92302458/

Scroll Down to Plans for production upgrades still ongoing

The costs to have a studio and upgrade camera equipment would run several hundred thousand dollars, McClelland said.
    "With the projects we have with the press box, it's a little bit probably too high for us to just go out there and do a complete ownership on it, which I think we'll be successful in, but we're hoping to be able to partner with our multimedia rights partner to help kind of bridge that and get a co-owner if you will, for a lack of a better term, to help launch this," he said.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Re: Update on Video Production (ESPN3)

Is HD a requirement?

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    Is HD a requirement?

YES! Do not half ass this!

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/story...game/92302458/

Plans for production upgrades still ongoing

When C-USA's new TV deal was announced in the summer, Tech, along with several other member schools, explored the option of in-house production for sporting events in order to create its own telecasts.

McClelland called those plans "ongoing" after Tech brought in outside parties to assess and determine how much it would cost to upgrade equipment.

The costs to have a studio and upgrade camera equipment would run several hundred thousand dollars, McClelland said.

"Obviously, we knew it would be expensive and that's what we got. From our standpoint, what we're trying to do is work with our local multimedia rights partner, which is Learfield Sports, and try to figure out a way where we can maybe partner for them in order to launch this platform," he said. "Those conversations are going. It's not something that's going to be up and running for this basketball season. It's not something we've put on the back burner, it's just we're still trying to strategize on a way to get it done."

McClelland indicated if Tech will do it the right way and not cut corners, which is why securing a partner is important.

"With the projects we have with the press box, it's a little bit probably too high for us to just go out there and do a complete ownership on it, which I think we'll be successful in, but we're hoping to be able to partner with our multimedia rights partner to help kind of bridge that and get a co-owner if you will, for a lack of a better term, to help launch this," he said.
    This is a MUST DO to stay relevant in FBS; I'm not a big fan of having to partner with Learfield on it we lose some control and rights money. If it's structured correctly, i.e. Learfield does infrastructure cost and gets some cut of revenue after expenses then and Tech retains equipment after deal is over, then I think it's a win-win.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

I think partner is similar to what UTSA has with Quarter Moon Productions (not sure though).

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GermDawg View Post

YES! Do not half ass this!

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/story...game/92302458/

This is a MUST DO to stay relevant in FBS; I'm not a big fan of having to partner with Learfield on it we lose some control and rights money. If it's structured correctly, i.e. Learfield does infrastructure cost and gets some cut of revenue after expenses then and Tech retains equipment after deal is over, then I think it's a win-win.
    I wasn't suggesting half assed. I was asking if it was a requirement now. We need a quick fix for now and should have had a plan in place when our AD first learned of the mandate. There are ( have been) options that don't use HD cameras that otherwise would serve the need until our AD gathers the funds for the first class operation.

You mentioned FBS relevancy. I'll ask another question. Does this have anything to do with the football productions and revenue? Isn't the basketball setup completely different from the football setup?

I know last year we had equipment stolen - was that HD? Wouldn't insurance cover replacement?

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

I thought I read somewhere that CUSA allotted each member $XXX,XXX to go toward this required upgrade...

Are we shifting monies from left pocket to right pocket like we did with COA CUSA monies and not dedicating budget dollars of our own to the process?
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    Is HD a requirement?
    That should be the standard for anything being recorded (amateur or pro). I imagine we need a full production room to do live video mixing including production software, switches, monitors, replay machine, recorders, intercom system, etc.

If we go really pro with it, the below lens alone cost over $170k.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

This is so 1970s.

Everybody was so afraid of protecting the home attendance.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ revf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond repute revf's Avatar

Partnerships are the way to go on these things. That equipment is too expensive not to be in use year round, and like it or not you don't want amateurs/students running the ship. (Otherwise you get amateurish work)

Case in point - I used to work video at Shreveport Captains games in the summers. The same video production company also worked with Tech during the year. It just makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by revf View Post
    Partnerships are the way to go on these things. That equipment is too expensive not to be in use year round, and like it or not you don't want amateurs/students running the ship. (Otherwise you get amateurish work)

Case in point - I used to work video at Shreveport Captains games in the summers. The same video production company also worked with Tech during the year. It just makes sense.
    We would use is 9 months out of the year.

Football - Sept, Oct, Nov
    Basketball - Nov-Feb
    Baseball - Feb - May

June, July & August it would not be in use.

If you add in Soccer & Volleyball, you add August

I agree that we need a partnership, but just pointing out it will be used 75% of year.

I don't know if there are any local production companies that could put on an ESPN quality product, but somebody needs to start one.

Champ JAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to behold

When we agreed to join C USA in May 2012, one of our obligations was to commit to $300,000 (estimate at the time) in video equipment and upgrades. Im not sure if this is for the same purpose as being discussed now though, or if that was ever done.

I seem to recall the expense then was specifically for video upgrades for a conference wide digital network. Is this the same thing that is being discussed now ?
    Last edited by JAMROB; 10-20-2016 at 02:06 PM.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JAMROB View Post
    When we agreed to join C USA in May 2012, one of our obligations was to commit to $300,000 in video equipment and upgrades. Im not sure if this is for the same purpose as being discussed now though, or if that was ever done.

I seem to recall the expense then was specifically for video upgrades for a conference wide digital network. Is this the same thing that is being discussed now ?
    I know money is tight, but I hope this can happen in the near future. We need our own network.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by JAMROB View Post
    When we agreed to join C USA in May 2012, one of our obligations was to commit to $300,000 in video equipment and upgrades. Im not sure if this is for the same purpose as being discussed now though, or if that was ever done.

That's what I was wondering...

Got to get our product to the market - and that market does not just include butts through the gates and doors...
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

+ Reply to Thread