+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Just a quick "pet peeve"

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Just a quick "pet peeve"

Why do political candidates have to state "I approve this message" in an ad where they are speaking? Ah, we assume they approve the message since they are actually saying it! Stupid.

Ads NOT run by the campaign, by a 3rd-party organization, make a statement that: this message is sponsored by the XYZ Committee, or whatever. Okay, fine.

But if I see a candidate in a TV commercial speaking, I don't need him/her to say at the end: I am so-n-so and I approve this message.

Duh!

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Just a quick "pet peeve"

It's the law

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

I know that. It's a stupid law!

Hi, I'm Joe Smith, I'm running for Senate. (video of him standing in front of the Capital building). Send me to Washington and I will fight corruption, fight for lower taxes, etc...

I'm Joe Smith but I do NOT approve this message.

Actually, that's what Krooked Killary does, says one thing publically and another privately. Is she violating the law?

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Okay....and...a...little....slower...this....time. ...

I know it's a law. No need to post links to a site that states, it's a law. Got that part. This is "pet peeve" rant, so it's a STUPID law! We know the candidate must approve a message he/she is stating. Duh!

Now, when the candidate does NOT appear in the ad actually speaking, say there's a narrator reading script, for instance, then yeah, maybe, I can see where "I approve this message" might be needed. EXCEPT!!! that could be just a recording that was inserted from another ad.

Joe Smith is running against a totally fictitious person ( as an example), a democratic candidate named Shillary Rodder Flinton. (just a made-up name). Smith makes an ad where he compares his tax plan against Flinton's and states the obligatory "I approve this message." Some college kids, a frat, at Elite University, make an ad where a narrator says that Flinton is a witch who has sex with tadpoles, and inserts that stolen video clip of Smith saying "I approve this message."

All the provisions of the law have been met.

Just saying....it is stupid.

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

It also explains everything. If you can't infer or understand why it still has to be done in your scenario, then the problem is you.

Any site and station that ran the message with the stolen clip are opening themselves up to litigation they'll lose. It's why you don't actually see those types of ads anywhere. This election has PLENTY of fodder.

Champ Woof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to behold

It's the law!

Quote Originally Posted by JuBru View Post
    It also explains everything. If you can't infer or understand why it still has to be done in your scenario, then the problem is you.

Any site and station that ran the message with the stolen clip are opening themselves up to litigation they'll lose. It's why you don't actually see those types of ads anywhere. This election has PLENTY of fodder.
    There is an ad of Marshall Jones (this is a real situation), who is running for Congress. It's about 30 seconds and it shows him walking and speaking directly at the camera. In some shots his family makes an appearance, but it always him speaking (no off-camera narrator). He makes his pitch and then it ends with him saying, "I approve this message."

Are we to assume then, that there are some political candidates who will state a position on the issues, and then NOT approve what he/she just said? I mean, besides Killary, who always lies even when she doesn't have to.

If that is the case, I wanna try that. I'll run for some office and state three positions, say like:

I think we spend too much on our military and should cut the defense budget by 100%!

At the end I'll say:

"I'm Dawg80 and I approve this message. Oh, except that part about the military, I don't approve of that."

Champ Woof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to behold

Trump does it! So, I guess you are okay with it.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Often it's the most honest thing in the ad. I say we keep it.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Point stands, it is stupid. Of course, I guess they have to assume that some aren't smart enough to make the connection. Not knocking anyone here.

+ Reply to Thread