+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best football season ever?

Champ Bearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Best football season ever?

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    The 2016 season is the best. In 2016 LA Tech has a very realistic chance to......

* Finish our regular season with a 9-3 record
    * Win a CUSA championship game on national TV on ESPN
    * Play in our 3rd straight bowl game
    * Finish our entire season with 10 (championship game) or 11 (bowl game) wins, and ranked in the national Top 25

Since moving to FBS in 1989, LA Tech has never done all of these things in a single season. This year can end up being very special. Make sure you don't miss it.
    I don't believe we've finished the season ranked since we moved to FBS, right?

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

My freshman year, 1973. Lost the opening game to Eastern Michigan on the road 21 - 19. Went undefeated the rest of they year. Ended the regular season at home beating NLU 40 - 0 and won the fight at the end of the game too. In the regular season, other than Eastern Michigan, no one scored over 7 points on the Dogs...so we had a hell of a defense! Went on to win the first Division II National Championship. In the playoffs beat Western Illinois at home, 18 - 13, Boise at the Pioneer Bowl, 38 - 34 and Western Kentucky in the Championship, 34 - 0.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Puppy nthedawghouse is a glorious beacon of lightnthedawghouse is a glorious beacon of lightnthedawghouse is a glorious beacon of lightnthedawghouse is a glorious beacon of lightnthedawghouse is a glorious beacon of lightnthedawghouse is a glorious beacon of lightnthedawghouse is a glorious beacon of lightnthedawghouse is a glorious beacon of lightnthedawghouse is a glorious beacon of lightnthedawghouse is a glorious beacon of lightnthedawghouse is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by bleudog View Post
    You are SOOOO! right bluedog! The national media was saying "Louisiana who???" Man I wish I still had that license plate! I also wish I had a .png or .tif of that logo! Love it!

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by bleudog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nthedawghouse View Post
    You are SOOOO! right bluedog! The national media was saying "Louisiana who???" Man I wish I still had that license plate! I also wish I had a .png or .tif of that logo! Love it!
    I've got one of the license plates at home. Not for sale at any price!

Champ detltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by boxerdog View Post
    We were in the NATIONAL discussion in 2012. There are sentimental reasons to appreciate this season or that one but 2012 was the year when people outside of this region were discussing LaTech football because it was relevant. I know we fizzled down the stretch but the buzz leading into the meltdown along with the top 20 ranking is more than any team accomplished before or after.
    Yeah, spending multiple weeks in the top 25 was huge and we had the opportunity to finish the season in the top 25 if we had just taken care of business. Instead we flopped at the end, stayed home during the bowls, and waved goodbye to our coach. It still cemented our reputation as a dangerous team outside of the power conferences. It's a bittersweet season to say the least.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    I don't believe we've finished the season ranked since we moved to FBS, right?
    Correct.

In 1999, LA Tech cracked the FBS level Top 25 for the very first time, only to lose 45-19 at Southern Cal the following week and exit quickly from the polls. We clearly demonstrated that we weren't ready for Prime Time back in 1999. Win that game at SC, and LA Tech could have likely climbed into the Top 15 to 20.

That was LA Tech's first chance to earn some seriously needed FBS street cred on a national stage against a legitimate traditional powerhouse program while already being ranked nationally.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. And as I noted above we were actually favored. I remember our receivers just dropping pass after pass.

Puppy heatrayguy is just really niceheatrayguy is just really niceheatrayguy is just really niceheatrayguy is just really niceheatrayguy is just really niceheatrayguy is just really niceheatrayguy is just really niceheatrayguy is just really niceheatrayguy is just really niceheatrayguy is just really niceheatrayguy is just really nice

Quote Originally Posted by tenacious_dog View Post
    My freshman year, 1973. Lost the opening game to Eastern Michigan on the road 21 - 19. Went undefeated the rest of they year. Ended the regular season at home beating NLU 40 - 0 and won the fight at the end of the game too. In the regular season, other than Eastern Michigan, no one scored over 7 points on the Dogs...so we had a hell of a defense! Went on to win the first Division II National Championship. In the playoffs beat Western Illinois at home, 18 - 13, Boise at the Pioneer Bowl, 38 - 34 and Western Kentucky in the Championship, 34 - 0.
    My freshmen year also. It was a magical season. I still think we were robbed in the first game by a couple bad calls. Then Pope missed the FG at the end. Best game that year was against Boise in the playoffs. Roger Carr was spectacular.

Big Dog NTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to behold NTXDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    'Give it to Joe!'

Giant leaf-blower that day.
    Yep that was fun!. I was part of that pretty good Tech crowd. We basically ran the same running play left or right the entire 2nd half. Joe Smith was unstoppable.

Champ DJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

That was the only time I saw a kickoff actually turn 90 degrees toward the sideline. The crosswind was incredible.

Champ Built4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond repute Built4Speed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by THEarmada View Post
    That Fresno game when they were #16 in the country and there was the pre-game brawl was sometime between '03 and '06 while I was at Tech. Still have the signed first down marker from that game.
    2004. I was a junior and this game may very well be my favorite as a student. I absolutely loved stomping Fresno that night. Good times.

Champ olddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by THEarmada View Post
    That Fresno game when they were #16 in the country and there was the pre-game brawl was sometime between '03 and '06 while I was at Tech. Still have the signed first down marker from that game.
    I have a Ryan Moats signed piece of the goal post. Man, that was a great game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNk9agH3Ya8

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

In 40 years of watching Tech football, for me its the 1990 season. There was so much to it. The last half of the 1989 season went incredibly well. It was our first season in I-A. Winning with a team recruited for I-AA football. There was a buzz about the team in the fanbase and media throughout the offseason going into 1990.

Then Eric Shaw shows up and begins practicing. And nobody could stop him. We got off to a little bit of a slow start and then picked up steam. The coverage of the team was incredible, especially since the Shreveport Journal was still around. There were days when the sports section was wall to wall Tech. The storylines were everywhere.

These were the brawling Dawgs. The Nasty Boys. Yet off the field they were a great group to be around. The USL game where the coaching staff wore Jerry Glanville black. The NLU "zipper" game where Scott Beder and Jeff Duncan of the News-Star nearly lost their jobs over their coverage of Coach Peace's weekly press conference.

Tony Taglavore getting on the air in Shreveport during his sportscast the Monday following Homecoming against SFA to announce that there were rumors flying around that the Independence Bowl was looking at Tech and that he had reliable sources that indicated they just weren't true. "The Independence Bowl is not considering Tech. Let me repeat that. The Independence Bowl is not considering Tech." Classic Taglavore.

Then there was the Colorado State game. The win. The weeks leading up to the Bowl game. Eric Shaw's suspension over the gun incident. The Indy Bowl game where we settled for a tie with Eric watching from the stands. Yet, there was a feeling Tech had really come out on top under the circumstances.

To see how far the program had come in 24 months was incredible.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

1990 Defense.

+ Reply to Thread