+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible Bowl Opponents

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Re: Possible Bowl Opponents

Quote Originally Posted by JAB View Post
    Was anybody listening to Fletcher this morning?
    Holtz said his preference this year would be to play in the I-Bowl!
    Playing to his audience?

Champ LATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by olddog75 View Post
    This is the first time I have seen the word "awesome" and "I-Bowl" in the same sentence.
    I'm not a fan of how the I-Bowl is run, but I'm all about opponent. It would also be beneficial if the I-Bowl eventually came around to realizing they need Tech a lot more than we need them.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gooddawg View Post
    Indy Bowl is a dump and should be close to our last resort if we are 6-6 or 7-5 and nothing else.
    I actually agree with this. A 10-win LA Tech team has no business going to the lowly Indy Bowl. Tech --and CUSA-- can probably do MUCH better. I know this is hard for Tech fans to understand, because we've literally n-e-v-e-r been in this situation before. Our fans don't know how to act, and what expectations to set. But a 10-win CUSA champion team should draw some quality interest from Bowls. There should be a strong effort by CUSA to deal a 10-win Tech to a bowl matchup with another G5 champion (AAC?) or a 7 or 8 win P5.

Champ LATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    But a 10-win CUSA champion team should draw some quality interest from Bowls. There should be a strong effort by CUSA to deal a 10-win Tech to a bowl matchup with another G5 champion (AAC?) or a 7 or 8 win P5.
    I hope you're right, but I think you're wrong.

Unless we're ranked (and even then it's a stretch), none of the big bowl players will care where a C-USA squad ends up. I believe there's less horse-trading than there used to be, and a C-USA champion isn't really the best looking horse anyway.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

Well, if Western Michigan and Boise Stumble and UH doesn't win it's conference (I think they may not win their division) where would that leave us? The highest ranked G5 champion gets a New Year Bowl. I personally think we could handle Western Michigan pretty easily. For that matter UH could handle both Western Michigan and Boise with ease since they have already had their two WTF games and they will be left out,

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Techsan View Post
    Well, if Western Michigan and Boise Stumble and UH doesn't win it's conference (I think they may not win their division) where would that leave us? The highest ranked G5 champion gets a New Year Bowl. I personally think we could handle Western Michigan pretty easily. For that matter UH could handle both Western Michigan and Boise with ease since they have already had their two WTF games and they will be left out,
    Houston cannot be the AAC champion. - Navy has already clinched the west. USF or Temple will likely win the East.

I think WMU will take the NY6 spot, but if not, it will be either Navy or Temple. MWC still has a cluster to figure out. You can bet SDSU/Boise/Wyoming will all be ranked above a C-USA champ.

C-USA is getting zero respect in the polls.

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by LATechBanjo View Post
    I'm not a fan of how the I-Bowl is run, but I'm all about opponent. It would also be beneficial if the I-Bowl eventually came around to realizing they need Tech a lot more than we need them.
    I thought the Camping World sponsorship along with that tv guy was helping develop and promote the game?
    Have you considered those Dogs?

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Houston cannot be the AAC champion. - Navy has already clinched the west. USF or Temple will likely win the East.
    Wow....Navy --who's home is about as far east as you can go-- is in the AAC WEST? Are people in the AAC geographically challenged?

Varsity Bulldog Black is a jewel in the roughBlack is a jewel in the roughBlack is a jewel in the roughBlack is a jewel in the roughBlack is a jewel in the roughBlack is a jewel in the roughBlack is a jewel in the roughBlack is a jewel in the roughBlack is a jewel in the roughBlack is a jewel in the roughBlack is a jewel in the rough

Our tie-ins aren't that appealing for a possible 10 win team. This is why some fans think Independence would be good with the right opponent. Have seen some projections with Army taking the Big Ten spot in Dallas. This is a 6-6 Army team with two FCS wins that will get in based on APR. People aren't expecting 80 teams to be eligible. As DFM has mentioned, we won't fill our tie-ins, so there would be quite a bit of loop holes to go through if there is an option outside of our tie-ins.

Quote Originally Posted by Black View Post
    Our tie-ins aren't that appealing for a possible 10 win team. This is why some fans think Independence would good with the right opponent. Have seen some projections with Army taking the Big Ten spot in Dallas. This is a 6-6 Army team with two FCS wins that will get in based on APR. People aren't expecting 80 teams to be eligible. As DFM has mentioned, we won't fill our tie-ins, so there would be quite a bit of loop holes to go through if there is an option outside of our tie-ins.
    What I am suggesting is that LA Tech --because of its 10-win season-- might get a call from a BIGGER and BETTER bowl. Could happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmJHSot6EaI

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

I think WMU will take the NY6 spot, but if not, it will be either Navy or Temple. MWC still has a cluster to figure out. You can bet SDSU/Boise/Wyoming will all be ranked above a C-USA champ.

C-USA is getting zero respect in the polls.
    I really can't believe the MAC is that good. They were great fill-ins when we were an independent, but I can't remember losing to many of them. I believe it must be that ESPN really hates C-USA. How is it we didn't know this when we joined. I know we had to have somewhere to go when the old WAC crashed, but I never have been happy with C-USA except as it appeared to be better than the Belch. Rice, UTEP, UTSA, FAU. FIU and Charlotte are all Belch quality. With UAB (the Queen Bee of C-USA) coming back, that's half our conference that's Belch quality. And if we were to get a shot at the AAC, I'm afraid it would look the same in a couple of years.

Champ JAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond repute JAB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sportdawg View Post
    Playing to his audience?
    Very possible.

I also know that at some point Tech & the I-Bowl will kiss and make up. What better way to do so than for the I-Bowl to offer an olive branch of an SEC team? And considering that the SEC is looking at having more teams than bowls it would make sense to trade.
    I'm not saying it will happen. Just saying I wouldn't be surprised if it did!

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

. And if we were to get a shot at the AAC, I'm afraid it would look the same in a couple of years.
    There are only so many teams and so many conferences. One more round of expansion ala the Big 12 and the end is near.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boxerdog View Post
    I thought the Camping World sponsorship along with that tv guy was helping develop and promote the game?
    They will probably end their sponsorship soon. I doubt the CEO is putting his time and effort into the I-Bowl. Late spring, they announced the naming rights to Orlando Citrus Bowl which is now Camping World Stadium. Buffalo Wild Wings is the current title sponsor of the Citrus Bowl, I bet Camping World might take over.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

I really can't believe the MAC is that good.
    We're talking about an undefeated team.

They win out, they get the G5 spot(although they could have lost it if Houston or Boise were eligible even with their losses).

+ Reply to Thread