+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: M. Basketball. Bulldogs Return Home to Face Bison

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

Re: M. Basketball. Bulldogs Return Home to Face Bison

We've attempted 15 3-point shots and only hit two, both by Harris. The others are 0'fer.

We finally started using our height advantage inside and opened up a 12 point lead (our biggest of the game).

Champ OLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond repute

Team ball is good.

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

With the exception of Harris we are a truly AWFUL 3-point shooting team. Sloppy, lazy, contested shot attempts.

But on the bright side, we have some semblance of an inside game for the first time in about 25 basketball seasons.

Champ Tech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant future Tech52's Avatar

Not sure why we attempt the 3 so much. They are fully capable of scoring inside the arc.

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

We missed Dayon tonight--Boykins was off and Jean isn't a pure "scorer". It seemed like they dictated much of the game to us instead of vice-versa. They were a sorta flashy "and one" style of play with all the attention on the ball. I thought we got lulled into that type of crap. Only the guy with the ball was playing hard, others mostly watched. Not much defensive intensity. Harris played well on offense. Their 6'6 guy couldn't guard Omar. That's about it as far as positives.

Jean seemed uncomfortable. McCree settled for easy shots. Boykins was in his own head.
    Have you considered those Dogs?

Champ skilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond repute skilldawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boxerdog View Post
    We missed Dayon tonight--Boykins was off and Jean isn't a pure "scorer". It seemed like they dictated much of the game to us instead of vice-versa. They were a sorta flashy "and one" style of play with all the attention on the ball. I thought we got lulled into that type of crap. Only the guy with the ball was playing hard, others mostly watched. Not much defensive intensity. Harris played well on offense. Their 6'6 guy couldn't guard Omar. That's about it as far as positives.

Jean seemed uncomfortable. McCree settled for easy shots. Boykins was in his own head.
    You don't think Bracey was a positive?

12 points and 5 assists. His assist to turnover ratio is now 17 to 1.

It is early, but I think I will be happy with trading 2 more years of Dayon for 4 of Harris and Bracey.

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by skilldawg View Post
    You don't think Bracey was a positive?

12 points and 5 assists. His assist to turnover ratio is now 17 to 1.

It is early, but I think I will be happy with trading 2 more years of Dayon for 4 of Harris and Bracey.
    I do think Bracey is a positive--should have said that. He is a dynamo! My observation is that he and Jean don't complement one another at this point. Jean needs to develop a midrange shot, otherwise there isn't a good reason to have him out there with Bracey.

There are chemistry issues Konkol is going to have to work through and figure out. A team that attempts to play with 2 point guards is similar to a football team that tries to alternate qb's.

Champ skilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond repute skilldawg's Avatar

I do think Bracey is a positive--should have said that. He is a dynamo! My observation is that he and Jean don't complement one another at this point. Jean needs to develop a midrange shot, otherwise there isn't a good reason to have him out there with Bracey.

There are chemistry issues Konkol is going to have to work through and figure out. A team that attempts to play with 2 point guards is similar to a football team that tries to alternate qb's.
    No doubt there are chemistry issues. I would not expect anything different with essentially 3 returners and 6 newcomers in a 9 deep rotation. Remember, Q and Joniah both had medical red-shirts last year.

We won't know much until after the new year, but this group is very gifted athletically so there is some reason for optimism.

The talent-level of these recruits, to me, indicate that Konkol's biggest strength at this point is his ability to recruit good players and bring them in. That said, I'm not quite sure what he wants to "hang his hat on" philosophically when it comes to how his team plays. Obviously, he wants his team to be physically strong (as apparent from their workout results) and in good shape. He seems to have a standard as to the type of people (character wise) that he seeks out. Seems to demand decency and class. But I still don't know his "brand" of basketball. I'm thinking he wants to build a physical team similar to Miami and just beat people physically. What do you think?

The talent-level of these recruits, to me, indicate that Konkol's biggest strength at this point is his ability to recruit good players and bring them in. That said, I'm not quite sure what he wants to "hang his hat on" philosophically when it comes to how his team plays. Obviously, he wants his team to be physically strong (as apparent from their workout results) and in good shape. He seems to have a standard as to the type of people (character wise) that he seeks out. Seems to demand decency and class. But I still don't know his "brand" of basketball. I'm thinking he wants to build a physical team similar to Miami and just beat people physically. What do you think?
    I obviously think that would be OUTSTANDING! When we stopped having more than one truly dominant player inside (Dawgs and Lady Techsters) we stopped going to NCAA tournaments. Say "the game has changed" all you want, but come tournament time, you'd better be able to control the paint play or you can have a seat in the stands and watch the tournament champions move on!

Big Dog TrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant future

Bracey certainly has a chance to be better than Speedy. He is clearly better than Speedy was at this point in their respective careers. I like what I see from him and Harris. Harris is a scorer, that's what we need. Sherman can flat play too. McCree needs to pick his spots better, some possessions he just decides he is gonna shoot and just shoots. It kills the flow of the offense. Boykins will be fine, he has started a little slow shooting the ball, but he has proven how lethal he can be. We will be fine, just need to get more into a rhythm offensively.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

You guys act like we are on the verge of NCAA tournament play. Our Dawgs will be fine in late December and early January. College basketball sucks in November and early December.

I think he still wants to press, but it has to be strategic if we are settled into a 9 man rotation.

Physical is fine with me. We a'int beating uab until we can play physical.

But it appears what we are trying is physical and athletic. Pretty good combo.

+ Reply to Thread