+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sports Business Journal idea for C-USA/SBC Realignment

Puppy UABlazin is a jewel in the roughUABlazin is a jewel in the roughUABlazin is a jewel in the roughUABlazin is a jewel in the roughUABlazin is a jewel in the roughUABlazin is a jewel in the roughUABlazin is a jewel in the roughUABlazin is a jewel in the roughUABlazin is a jewel in the roughUABlazin is a jewel in the roughUABlazin is a jewel in the rough UABlazin's Avatar

Re: Sports Business Journal idea for C-USA/SBC Realignment

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    ODU and UAB would pitch a hissy fit.
    Meh. It actually makes some sense (and cents). The bottom 5 in C-USA football attendance this year would all be in the eastern conference. Many fans would enjoy having a big increase in drivable games. C-USA is no longer leaps and bounds ahead of the Belch. Their more compact footprint and sensible number of teams is a strength.

In this fairy tale scenario, I think being in a league with LA Tech, USM, and Troy is preferable to being in a potential division of FIU, FAU, Coastal Carolina, and Georgia State.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by UABlazin View Post
    Meh. It actually makes some sense (and cents). The bottom 5 in C-USA football attendance this year would all be in the eastern conference. Many fans would enjoy having a big increase in drivable games. C-USA is no longer leaps and bounds ahead of the Belch. Their more compact footprint and sensible number of teams is a strength.

In this fairy tale scenario, I think being in a league with LA Tech, USM, and Troy is preferable to being in a potential division of FIU, FAU, Coastal Carolina, and Georgia State.
    Oh really? And yet every Belt school that would be offered an invitation to CUSA would take it!

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UABlazin View Post
    C-USA is no longer leaps and bounds ahead of the Belch.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    Oh really? And yet every Belt school that would be offered an invitation to CUSA would take it!
    Can't expect a UAB person to live in reality.

LaTech owned the two best Sunbelt teams when we were not the best team in C-USA.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

LA Tech gains nothing from this. Unlike most of these schools, LA Tech is already at the top of the 11 other schools it would supposedly be paired with. From day one, those 11 schools would be chasing LA Tech (except maybe USM, HAHA!)

LA Tech needs to be finding a way to join the AAC schools, not another conglomeration of these clowns.

Champ faninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond repute faninmonroe's Avatar

We need to find a way into the MWC or AAC asap.

Or we need to do better.....along with USM, WKU, UNT, etc. in making CUSA a whole lot better.....quickly.

The championship game today looked very, very sub G5 level of play.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    LA Tech gains nothing from this. Unlike most of these schools, LA Tech is already at the top of the 11 other schools it would supposedly be paired with. From day one, those 11 schools would be chasing LA Tech (except maybe USM, HAHA!)

LA Tech needs to be finding a way to join the AAC schools, not another conglomeration of these clowns.
    In a dream world, I would like a more regional conference combining AAC and CUSA. Get rid of the F_U twins.

Example conference 1
    Tulsa
    SMU
    Houston
    Memphis
    Tulane
    Louisiana Tech
    UTEP
    UNT
    UTSA
    USM
    Rice
    UAB

Example conference 2
    Cincinnati
    Connecticut
    Temple
    Navy (football)
    East Carolina
    UCF
    USF
    WKU
    MTSU
    Old Dominion
    Marshall
    Charlotte

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

I believe UTEP belongs in the MWC, but I can remember when they were our closest conference mate in the WAC after Rice, Tulsa and SMU jumped to the AAC.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Techsan View Post
    I believe UTEP belongs in the MWC, but I can remember when they were our closest conference mate in the WAC after Rice, Tulsa and SMU jumped to the AAC.
    I agree. Wished CUSA would of picked us over UTEP back then. WAC could of had a longer shelf life.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    I agree. Wished CUSA would of picked us over UTEP back then. WAC could of had a longer shelf life.
    The irony was, that CUSA membership vote took place in the spring (April?) right after Mike Price arrived at UTEP, and UTEP beat LA Tech in football 44-27 in Ruston in 2004. It was the only time since 1939 that UTEP has beaten LA Tech in football.

I still maintain that LA Tech would have been invited to join CUSA in 2005 instead of UTEP, if not for that one loss. The timing of that loss was just terrible for LA Tech. With Mike Price's arrival, everyone was suddenly more optimistic than ever about UTEP fortunes. So when Price's first team beat LA Tech in Ruston for the first time since 1939, everyone in CUSA thought UTEP's fortunes were much better than Tech's.

UTEP has lost every single game to LA Tech since. LA Tech owns the series with 10 wins, 2 losses and 1 tie.

http://www.winsipedia.com/louisiana-tech/vs/utep

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    The irony was, that CUSA membership vote took place in the spring (April?) right after Mike Price arrived at UTEP, and UTEP beat LA Tech in football 44-27 in Ruston in 2004. It was the only time since 1939 that UTEP has beaten LA Tech in football.

I still maintain that LA Tech would have been invited to join CUSA in 2005 instead of UTEP, if not for that one loss. The timing of that loss was just terrible for LA Tech. With Mike Price's arrival, everyone was suddenly more optimistic than ever about UTEP fortunes. So when Price's first team beat LA Tech in Ruston for the first time since 1939, everyone in CUSA thought UTEP's fortunes were much better than Tech's.

UTEP has lost every single game to LA Tech since. LA Tech owns the series with 10 wins, 2 losses and 1 tie.

http://www.winsipedia.com/louisiana-tech/vs/utep
    HD, the CUSA vote took place in April, 2004, prior to this game. When UTEP came to Ruston in 2004 they already had the CUSA invite in hand. I believe the revenue we lost from conference distributions alone was probably more than $10 million. The other side of the coin is that had we gotten the CUSA invitation in 2004 we would have never seen the changes that were made when Dooley became the AD.

Our leadership at the top had no idea what was going on in the real world of college athletics. Stuck in that rut, I have a bad feeling about how our play on the field and courts would have looked during that time had we been in CUSA. There would have been a lot of complacency. Oakes knew what was going on, but didn't really have the power to change anything. Not getting into CUSA was a wake up call for many.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

UTEP being a metro area with a rich basketball history was the reason RC Johnson, the AD of Memphis at the time, supported them over us. He's a turd like Steve Ehrhart.

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    HD, the CUSA vote took place in April, 2004, prior to this game. When UTEP came to Ruston in 2004 they already had the CUSA invite in hand. I believe the revenue we lost from conference distributions alone was probably more than $10 million. The other side of the coin is that had we gotten the CUSA invitation in 2004 we would have never seen the changes that were made when Dooley became the AD.

Our leadership at the top had no idea what was going on in the real world of college athletics. Stuck in that rut, I have a bad feeling about how our play on the field and courts would have looked during that time had we been in CUSA. There would have been a lot of complacency. Oakes knew what was going on, but didn't really have the power to change anything. Not getting into CUSA was a wake up call for many.
    Yep. You're right about the dates. My bad. That's why you are "the Historian".

Champ JAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond repute JAB's Avatar

Instead of the Sunbelt merging with CUSA, why not CUSA merge with the AAC?

That sounds a lot better to me!

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

I wouldn't be too critical of some of the current Belch programs. WKU came out of the Belch and very quickly rose to the top of CUSA. Appy State for sure would be a good addition to CUSA, if indeed the league ever needs an eastern addition. Troy? Well....ummmm....maybe. But again, they would catapult to at least the middle of whichever CUSA division they would be in. I see them being a fairly consistent 3-5, 4-4, 5-3 type program. Some years a little worse, some years maybe 6-2. Ga. Southern? To be honest I expected more out of them. Thought they would do well in the Belch, but thus far, not so much.

There aren't any other current Belch schools that bring anything to the table. If CUSA needs to go shopping, and we can't/don't get one of those three, we'd have to look elsewhere.

Champ Built4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond repute Built4Speed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    I wouldn't be too critical of some of the current Belch programs. WKU came out of the Belch and very quickly rose to the top of CUSA. Appy State for sure would be a good addition to CUSA, if indeed the league ever needs an eastern addition. Troy? Well....ummmm....maybe. But again, they would catapult to at least the middle of whichever CUSA division they would be in. I see them being a fairly consistent 3-5, 4-4, 5-3 type program. Some years a little worse, some years maybe 6-2. Ga. Southern? To be honest I expected more out of them. Thought they would do well in the Belch, but thus far, not so much.

There aren't any other current Belch schools that bring anything to the table. If CUSA needs to go shopping, and we can't/don't get one of those three, we'd have to look elsewhere.
    If it was an option, I'd boot the F_U twins for Appy State and Georgia Southern. If nothing else, it's a competitive boost.

+ Reply to Thread