+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3745464748 LastLast

Thread: 12/03: @ WKU (C-USA Championship)

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

Re: 12/03: @ WKU (C-USA Championship)

At least the Dunkin Dawgs won big.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

I'm beginning to sour on Holtz.

Ya know....we've not won a CUSA championship and really, the only reason we have reached the title game, twice now, is because the West Division of CUSA is so weak. For the third year in a row the champion has come from the East and it is simply the better division. The top three teams in CUSA this year, WKU, ODU, and MTSU are all in the East. Making the case for MTSU being better because they beat us.

So, we are again 8-5, now on back to back losses, limping into a bowl game. We did beat WKU, which is their only conference loss in two years! Overall, WKU is 17-1 in CUSA play the past two years. They are the "Boazy" of this new CUSA. But, other than that W who has Holtz beaten? I will give him the HOD win, over a Big 10 school, as a "good" (not great, but good) win. But, actually, Diaz gets as much credit for that win. Trouncing the Belch champion is a "good" win? IDK...matter of opinion, I guess.

Except for a few hiccups (namely NSU) Holtz has beaten the teams we were expected to beat. Really, we "out-athlete" those teams. Not sure coaching played much of a role. Someone name ONE team we've beaten, other than Illinois and WKU I've already mentioned, considered a quality win under Holtz.

I'll wait....but beware the crickets.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post

Ya know....we've not won a CUSA championship and really, the only reason we have reached the title game, twice now, is because the West Division of CUSA is so weak. For the third year in a row the champion has come from the East and it is simply the better division. The top three teams in CUSA this year, WKU, ODU, and MTSU are all in the East. Making the case for MTSU being better because they beat us.

So, we are again 8-5, now on back to back losses, limping into a bowl game. We did beat WKU, which is their only conference loss in two years! Overall, WKU is 17-1 in CUSA play the past two years. They are the "Boazy" of this new CUSA. But, other than that W who has Holtz beaten? I will give him the HOD win, over a Big 10 school, as a "good" (not great, but good) win. But, actually, Diaz gets as much credit for that win. Trouncing the Belch champion is a "good" win? IDK...matter of opinion, I guess.

Except for a few hiccups (namely NSU) Holtz has beaten the teams we were expected to beat. Really, we "out-athlete" those teams. Not sure coaching played much of a role. Someone name ONE team we've beaten, other than Illinois and WKU I've already mentioned, considered a quality win under Holtz.

It was the biggest fear most of us had when Holtz was hired. He would get us "good", but not break the barrier. Granted, it is better than we were.... At some point, though, we are going to have to break the barrier. There is no doubt that we are one of the 3 best teams year in and year out in CUSA, but never #1 - just close. I am proud of the last two bowls and hope that we can add a 3rd win this year, though.

As for Holtz, we have to give him credit for the athletes he has recruited, as well. That does mean something. I just feel a frustration, like you, though. A bowl win will go a long way to helping me get through the off season again. He needs a DC to help us get over the hump.

Champ T1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond repute

I was interested to compare all our big wins and found some downright depressing stats. I started in 2000 and looked at all our wins up to today (using Sagarin Ratings).

We have 104 wins.
    81 of those wins are against teams ranked 100 or higher.
    23 wins against teams ranked in the Top 99.

These are the 23 quality wins:

Bicknell: 7 wins (Boise in 2001, Oklahoma St and Nevada in 2002, Michigan St in 2003, Fresno in 2004, Fresno and Hawaii in 2005)
    Dooley: 1 win (Northern Illinois in 2008)
    Dykes: 7 wins (Idaho in 2010, Utah St, San Jose St, Fresno St, and Nevada in 2011, Rice and Virginia in 2012)
    Holtz: 8 wins (ULL, WKU, UAB, Rice, and Illinois in 2014, MT and Arkansas St in 2015, WKU in 2016)

The Top 10 wins:
    1. Bicknell beat #10 Fresno St in 2004
    2. Bicknell beat #30 Fresno St in 2005
    3. Holtz beat #33 WKU in 2016
    4. Bicknell beat #35 Michigan St in 2003
    5. Bicknell beat #38 Oklahoma St in 2002
    6. Dykes beat #48 Nevada in 2011
    7. Bicknell beat #58 Boise St in 2001
    8. Dykes beat #69 Utah St in 2011
    9. Holtz beat #70 Rice in 2014
    10. Dykes beat #74 Rice in 2012

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

Of course Bicknell was HC for nearly 3x the timeframe of the other 3 coaches and he has the worst overall winning percentage of them. Dykes and Holtz have the best overall winning percentage. We should get another opportunity in a few weeks when we go to our third consecutive FBS Bowl, hopefully we will be able to score about 90 points for a 7 point win and go 3-0.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RhythmDawg View Post
    Why is it so important for everyone to find someone to blame and then debate the merits behind that opinion?
    Are you new here?

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T1 View Post
    I was interested to compare all our big wins and found some downright depressing stats. I started in 2000 and looked at all our wins up to today (using Sagarin Ratings).

We have 104 wins.
    81 of those wins are against teams ranked 100 or higher.
    23 wins against teams ranked in the Top 99.

These are the 23 quality wins:

Bicknell: 7 wins (Boise in 2001, Oklahoma St and Nevada in 2002, Michigan St in 2003, Fresno in 2004, Fresno and Hawaii in 2005)
    Dooley: 1 win (Northern Illinois in 2008)
    Dykes: 7 wins (Idaho in 2010, Utah St, San Jose St, Fresno St, and Nevada in 2011, Rice and Virginia in 2012)
    Holtz: 8 wins (ULL, WKU, UAB, Rice, and Illinois in 2014, MT and Arkansas St in 2015, WKU in 2016)

The Top 10 wins:
    1. Bicknell beat #10 Fresno St in 2004
    2. Bicknell beat #30 Fresno St in 2005
    3. Holtz beat #33 WKU in 2016
    4. Bicknell beat #35 Michigan St in 2003
    5. Bicknell beat #38 Oklahoma St in 2002
    6. Dykes beat #48 Nevada in 2011
    7. Bicknell beat #58 Boise St in 2001
    8. Dykes beat #69 Utah St in 2011
    9. Holtz beat #70 Rice in 2014
    10. Dykes beat #74 Rice in 2012
    Using these stats, our best coaches are:

1. Bicknell
    2. Holtz
    3. Dykes
    4. Dooley

And we fired Jack! Boy, did we screw up. But, heck, let's sign Holtz to a lifetime contract before we lose him too.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Using these stats, our best coaches are:

1. Bicknell
    2. Holtz
    3. Dykes
    4. Dooley

And we fired Jack! Boy, did we screw up. But, heck, let's sign Holtz to a lifetime contract before we lose him too.
    but you have to go with wins per year. Not overall wins

Champ T1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond repute

My discovery was not as much to compare coaches, but that 80% of our wins are against crappy teams over the past 17 seasons and a "big win" may need to re-defined as a win over any team that's ranked below 75. We only have 10 of them in the past 17 seasons.

Bulldog wmladawg is a glorious beacon of lightwmladawg is a glorious beacon of lightwmladawg is a glorious beacon of lightwmladawg is a glorious beacon of lightwmladawg is a glorious beacon of lightwmladawg is a glorious beacon of lightwmladawg is a glorious beacon of lightwmladawg is a glorious beacon of lightwmladawg is a glorious beacon of lightwmladawg is a glorious beacon of lightwmladawg is a glorious beacon of light wmladawg's Avatar

We lost this game because we were dominated at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball!! Would have lost by 5+ touchdowns if WKU hadn't let us stay in it with turnovers. Whoever suggested we need to change strength and conditioning coaches hit the nail on the head.

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

My discovery was not as much to compare coaches, but that 80% of our wins are against crappy teams over the past 17 seasons and a "big win" may need to re-defined as a win over any team that's ranked below 75. We only have 10 of them in the past 17 seasons.
    Appreciate you doing this. I would be interested in seeing how many top 75 wins we had in the 90's. I'm too lazy to do it so whenever you have time, LOL. And what is the basis for the ranking?

Never mind on the rankings, I see you used Sagarin.

2000 to 2016

vs 1-25: 1-33
    vs 26-50: 5-20
    vs 51-75: 4-20

That's 10-73 vs Top 75 teams (12% winning percentage)

76-100: 14-11
    100+: 80-19

That's 94-30 vs 76 and up. (76% winning percentage)

2000 to 2016

vs 1-25: 1-33
    vs 26-50: 5-20
    vs 51-75: 4-20

That's 10-73 vs Top 75 teams (12% winning percentage)

76-100: 14-11
    100+: 80-19

That's 94-30 vs 76 and up. (76% winning percentage)
    "best of the rest"

That's a horse racing phrase, usually reserved for the horse that finishes 4th or 5th out of 10-12 horses in the race. Just means he/she wasn't good enough to hit the board (top 3) but clearly was the best of all the losers.

Champ RhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond repute RhythmDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    Are you new here?
    i decided to go back and start bbb at the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by RhythmDawg View Post
    i decided to go back and start bbb at the beginning.
    A refresher course?

+ Reply to Thread