+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baseball. Diamond 船ogs Ink 20 in Early Signing Period

I'm just a bot - I can't respond to your posts News_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the rough News_Bot's Avatar

Baseball Baseball. Diamond 船ogs Ink 20 in Early Signing Period

A new article has been posted on www.latechsports.com:

On Monday afternoon Louisiana Tech Baseball head coach Lane Burroughs announced the signing of 20 players to the 2017 class.

More...

Discuss it here.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Re: Baseball. Diamond 船ogs Ink 20 in Early Signing Period

We're gonna be fine

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sportdawg View Post
    We're gonna be fine
    Hope springs eternal.

Champ rabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond repute

2017-It's just baseball

2018- youth

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rabiddawg View Post
    2017-It's just baseball
    It was never "It's just baseball". It was "It's baseball". Poor pitching was never brushed off as "It's baseball". While strikeouts are part of the game, too many strikeouts never received the "It's baseball" excuse.

The "It's baseball" replies from me were directed at those who look at the box score, see men left on base, then say "we can't hit" when a guy hit a line drive shot to a diving center fielder who made a great catch. "Men left on base" was used way too much by many of our drive by fans.

Next year pitching will be our big question mark, not youth.

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

Yes pitching was a problem. Not being able to get base runners home was also a problem. We left waaaaay too many men on base. A base hit or two with runners on base in Tennessee or at the CUSA tournament and we aren't sitting here "hoping" USM extends our season for us. Brushing the offensive scoring problem under the rug doesn't change anything.

BTW, I WATCHED every LA Tech conference baseball game except two that weren't shown on CUSA.TV. Did you?

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DogsWin View Post
    Yes pitching was a problem. Not being able to get base runners home was also a problem. We left waaaaay too many men on base. A base hit or two with runners on base in Tennessee or at the CUSA tournament and we aren't sitting here "hoping" USM extends our season for us. Brushing the offensive scoring problem under the rug doesn't change anything.

BTW, I WATCHED every LA Tech conference baseball game except one that wasn't shown on CUSA.TV. Did you?
    I acknowledged that strikeouts hurt us. They hurt us at Middle in game one. Pitching hurt us in game 3.

Unfortunately our offensive production was down during the early part of our conference schedule (when pitching was at it's worst...there is a connection) then in the last two games.

You know I was not cracking on you as a "drive by fan". You have been consistent with your "lack of situational hitting" talk all year. I just don't agree with that argument because it does not take bad breaks into account. As you know, base hitting a baseball 1/3 of the time is a great feat. We almost did that as an team.

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

Yes, we got lots of hits, just not with runners in scoring position (ie all of the stranded base runners). We managed 4 runs over two entire CUSA tournament games. We stranded 7 runners during three innings of the last game where we had at least two runners on with NOBODY OUT. That's not poor pitching, poor fielding,.. it was mainly striking out, popping up, and grounding into a double play. If you want to credit the freshman pitcher who had his longest outing and most strike outs of his college career then feel free, but it was one of several career days by opposing pitchers vs Louisiana Tech's batters during conference play. At some point our "senior, Juco experienced" batters have to PRODUCE RUNS, not just scattered hits and a truckload of strike outs.

Quote Originally Posted by DogsWin View Post
    Yes, we got lots of hits, just not with runners in scoring position (ie all of the stranded base runners). We managed 4 runs over two entire CUSA tournament games. We stranded 7 runners during three innings of the last game where we had at least two runners on with NOBODY OUT. That's not poor pitching, poor fielding,.. it was mainly striking out, popping up, and grounding into a double play. If you want to credit the freshman pitcher who had his longest outing and most strike outs of his college career then feel free, but it was one of several career days by opposing pitchers vs Louisiana Tech's batters during conference play. At some point our "senior, Juco experienced" batters have to PRODUCE RUNS, not just scattered hits and a truckload of strike outs.
    We are back to where we began. I have said a number of times that strikeouts hurt us. Popping up and grounding into double plays is part of the game. You know that. Even .375 hitters do that. Great hitters like Gladu do that. We struck out too much in the last two games. We had poor offensive production early in the C-USA season (game 1 vs USM 2 runs, game 3 at Charlotte 3 runs, games 1 and 2 vs. UTSA, at McNeese, game 2 at Rice, and game 2 at ODU) We still won two of those series because HCLB inserted a great starting pitcher.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Well, if we accomplished that because Burr inserted a great starter, why didn't he insert some great hitters too?

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Well, if we accomplished that because Burr inserted a great starter, why didn't he insert some great hitters too?
    ...the brilliance of a baseball mind who lacks reading comprehension skills.

Champ Wade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond repute Wade_Antley's Avatar

For yall local guys, what's up with the pitching in this class? Is that Byrd kid gonna be a ace? Are we re-loading or re-building?

And that guy from Saskatchewan is a good catcher but not a great hitter.

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    We are back to where we began. I have said a number of times that strikeouts hurt us. Popping up and grounding into double plays is part of the game. You know that. Even .375 hitters do that. Great hitters like Gladu do that. We struck out too much in the last two games. We had poor offensive production early in the C-USA season (game 1 vs USM 2 runs, game 3 at Charlotte 3 runs, games 1 and 2 vs. UTSA, at McNeese, game 2 at Rice, and game 2 at ODU) We still won two of those series because HCLB inserted a great starting pitcher.
    Just commenting on the notion that Burr is some kind of baseball genius, and following that to its logical conclusion. Nothing wrong with my reading skills. And, I was not knocking you for it either, if you took it that way. Rather, I was attacking Burr's lack of coaching ability. There was a TON of sarcasm in my previous comment. Maybe it didn't come across as I intended.

Champ stodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    I acknowledged that strikeouts hurt us. They hurt us at Middle in game one. Pitching hurt us in game 3.

Unfortunately our offensive production was down during the early part of our conference schedule (when pitching was at it's worst...there is a connection) then in the last two games.

You know I was not cracking on you as a "drive by fan". You have been consistent with your "lack of situational hitting" talk all year. I just don't agree with that argument because it does not take bad breaks into account. As you know, base hitting a baseball 1/3 of the time is a great feat. We almost did that as an team.
    A few bad hops and an outfielder getting a late jump a few times is often the difference in hitting .260 and .300.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wade_Antley View Post
    For yall local guys, what's up with the pitching in this class? Is that Byrd kid gonna be a ace? Are we re-loading or re-building?

And that guy from Saskatchewan is a good catcher but not a great hitter.
    I've seen Fincher pitch in person. He could eventually be a weekend starter, but I don't see it next season.

We did sign the ace from the #1 JUCO in the nation. He was undefeated last I checked. I expect he'll anchor our rotation.

+ Reply to Thread