+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: When can the Saints blow it up?

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Re: When can the Saints blow it up?

Yep. I've been preparing my son all season by telling him that he'll grow up with the same pathetic Saints I grew up with.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    They are my Saints
    Yes indeed.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

I will always stand by them. Grew up loving them and won't ever give up. That is what being a Saints fan is all about. Even with Brees for another year, they could find some good under rated talent to get that defense going. I say that every year, though, and will continue to say it.

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

I find it highly amusing all of these Johnny-Come-Lately Saints Fans who have NO IDEA what the "long suffering Saints" are all about

As I told some of my family over the Christmas holidays - that the Cubs would win another World Series before the Saints even sniffed at a Super Bowl - they scoffed at me...

I told them it all starts with management - and the Saints have NONE...
    Truer words were never spoke. The old axiom 'A fish rots from the head down' applies in any and every organization. The Saints problems on the field only reflect the problems in the front office.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

I have been with this bunch since the very beginning. November 1, 1966, "All Saints Day" the official birthday of the New Orleans Saints.

And have suffered right along with 'em...such as:

Saints trail the Bears by a few points, late in the game. Saints have a 1st and goal at the Bears' 1 yard line. Old Tulane Stadium is rocking. Didn't matter that both the Saints and the Bears sucked, neither would win more than 4 or 5 games that year. This was a game-winning moment for us. Archie Manning tries a QB sneak...he fights hard, oh no! fumble! there's a mad scramble....a Bear DL tries to scoop it up and run with it, can't quite get possession the ball is loose again, a Saint dives for it, the ball gets propelled 20 yards, they all chase after it, someone knocks it again, the ball is still bouncing, another pile up, ball comes out, gets knocked again....mad scramble, a huge pile up, the ball is buried in a pile of fighting players. Saints recover!!! Still our ball!

Saints....2nd and goal....from the 50 yard line. An incomplete pass, a short gain...

ONLY the Saints could end up PUNTING after having a 1st and goal at the one. We sit down and those old enough to do so, order another beer from the beerman, the guy with the big backpack of cold beer working the stands. That folks! is Saints' football.

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

Payton fired FIVE assistant coaches today. Joe Vitt is a surprise, but McMahon needed to go. Big changes were needed, and it looks like Payton is making them.

(From ProFootballTalk.com)
    Sean Payton fires five Saints assistants, including Joe Vitt

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    I have been with this bunch since the very beginning. November 1, 1966, "All Saints Day" the official birthday of the New Orleans Saints.

And have suffered right along with 'em...such as:

Saints trail the Bears by a few points, late in the game. Saints have a 1st and goal at the Bears' 1 yard line. Old Tulane Stadium is rocking. Didn't matter that both the Saints and the Bears sucked, neither would win more than 4 or 5 games that year. This was a game-winning moment for us. Archie Manning tries a QB sneak...he fights hard, oh no! fumble! there's a mad scramble....a Bear DL tries to scoop it up and run with it, can't quite get possession the ball is loose again, a Saint dives for it, the ball gets propelled 20 yards, they all chase after it, someone knocks it again, the ball is still bouncing, another pile up, ball comes out, gets knocked again....mad scramble, a huge pile up, the ball is buried in a pile of fighting players. Saints recover!!! Still our ball!

Saints....2nd and goal....from the 50 yard line. An incomplete pass, a short gain...

ONLY the Saints could end up PUNTING after having a 1st and goal at the one. We sit down and those old enough to do so, order another beer from the beerman, the guy with the big backpack of cold beer working the stands. That folks! is Saints' football.
    Hahaha! I love hearing stories from lifelong Saints fans (they have to have been fans since before 2006). My first heartbreaking memory was when we were about to make the playoffs for the first time, but let the Rams kick a FG as time expired. I think that was 1983.

The worst in recent years was the so-called "River City Relay" in Jacksonville in 2003. Saints had four games left and only needed to win one of them to make the playoffs. Lost the first two, then played the Jags. Trailing by 7 points with only time left for one play. At our own 25, Aaron Brooks threw it to Donte Stallworth, who ran and pitched it back to someone else who pitched it back again. Deuce ended up with the ball on the sideline and threw it overhand to the middle of the field, where Jerome Pathon caught it and ran it in for a TD. Miracle! We're going to OT!

Then... John Carney missed the PAT.

Lost the final game and missed the playoffs for the umpteenth time.

During the Superbowl year, someone in NOLA wrote a play about growing up as a Saints fan. I forget the name of it, but they only performed it twice. I would love to see it.
    Last edited by StrayDawg; 01-05-2017 at 10:45 PM.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

First Saints game I attended was late 80's against the 49's. Second was against the Falcons and the Cajun Cannon beat us at home and then "flew" all over the logo at midfield. We lost both games and I haven't been back for a game since. I learned early that I might be the bad luck.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

To answer the question, when Drew Brees is done playing. He should retire a Saint.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by StrayDawg View Post
    Payton fired FIVE assistant coaches today. Joe Vitt is a surprise, but McMahon needed to go. Big changes were needed, and it looks like Payton is making them.

(From ProFootballTalk.com)
    Sean Payton fires five Saints assistants, including Joe Vitt
    Or he's being forced to make them. I'll add this - major changes have taken place in the front office in the last two years led by the hiring of Jeff Ireland, and we've started to see the new group have an impact. And it wouldn't surprise me if we don't see a few more changes in the next couple of weeks.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by StrayDawg View Post
    Hahaha! I love hearing stories from lifelong Saints fans (they have to have been fans since before 2006). My first heartbreaking memory was when we were about to make the playoffs for the first time, but let the Rams kick a FG as time expired. I think that was 1983.
    The first heartbreaker for me was the 1978 game - late in the season - against the Raiders in the Superdome on Monday Night Football. The Saints were in position to post their first winning season and playoff appearance. After the Saints led 35-14 in the third quarter, Kenny Stabler led the Raiders on the comeback and improbable 42-35 win.

The loss led to the hiring of two front-office executives that didn't know what they were doing and who took control of much of the decision making away from Dick Nolan, the coach who did know what he was doing.

If anyone wants the best information about the Saints, Sean Fezande, who covers the team for Fox 8 in New Orleans was on Inside New Orleans Sports, which airs in New Orleans weekly. Last night's show is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIhJdwAG30A

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    The first heartbreaker for me was the 1978 game - late in the season - against the Raiders in the Superdome on Monday Night Football. The Saints were in position to post their first winning season and playoff appearance. After the Saints led 35-14 in the third quarter, Kenny Stabler led the Raiders on the comeback and improbable 42-35 win.

The loss led to the hiring of two front-office executives that didn't know what they were doing and who took control of much of the decision making away from Dick Nolan, the coach who did know what he was doing.
    That was a killer - being only one of two Saints fans at school (I kid you not) it was a brutal Tuesday morning facing all the Cowboy fans who gloated in my misery

As was the Big Ben play vs the Dirty Birds
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

I find it highly amusing all of these Johnny-Come-Lately Saints Fans who have NO IDEA what the "long suffering Saints" are all about

As I told some of my family over the Christmas holidays - that the Cubs would win another World Series before the Saints even sniffed at a Super Bowl - they scoffed at me...

I told them it all starts with management - and the Saints have NONE...
    That aint far-fetched at all. They will probably have the lowest odds going into this season. Red Sox will likely be next, followed by Cleveland.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

+ Reply to Thread