Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
Back to the beginning....the old Metro Conference!! Had Cincy, Louisville, Memphis State, St. Louis, Florida State, Tulane, Georgia Tech. I think, I probably got a couple wrong. Yeah, I know NO WAY are most of those going back anywhere. But, the name can be revised.
I nailed it! Just checked. This was the Metro as of 1976. Changes began just two years later when Georgia Tech left for the ACC, replaced by Virginia Tech, and St. Louis left and was replaced by Southern Miss.

South Florida didn't join until 1991, along with Charlotte and VCU, to replace departing members FSU, Memphis State, and Cincy, and also South Carolina, which had just joined the Metro, and then departed for the SEC.

There were a bunch of other comings and goings. Cincy and Memphis State left to form a new conference called the Great Midwest Conference. Never heard of it? Don't fret. The ink hadn't dried on the paperwork when it too went defunct as members jumped to other leagues.

All these schools chasing the $$$ by hoping to land in a bigger conference, a richer conference. No, I don't blame them. But sometimes it's best to sit where you are and just observe.

For instance:
And through it all the absolutely smartest school has been....Vanderbilt. They have just sat there quietly raking in HUGE revenues as members of the SEC, without contributing a whole lot to its athletic success. The stupidest school: Tulane. They voluntarily left the SEC back in the 1960's. As did Georgia Tech, but at least GT has landed on its feet in a P5 conference.