+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wichita State to AAC?

Champ parialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of light

Wichita State to AAC?

This seems like it could be a win-win. I'd thought it might be good to add a complement to Navy, but I would thinking St Louis. I didn't realize Wichita State was dissatisfied in the MVC. (Though their flirtation with football may have been a clue.)

Wichita State has emerged as a potential basketball-only addition to the American Athletic Conference, but obstacles are still standing in the way of a potential marriage, multiple sources told FanRag Sports.

Four separate sources told FanRag Sports that the Shockers were brought up as a potential basketball-only member at the latest league meetings.

The addition of Wichita State wouldn’t guarantee much financial benefit to the other programs in the American Conference if it was added to the league, but the impact it would have from a basketball perspective would be immense.

The American Conference has struggled to gain national respect since its creation prior to the start of the 2013-14 season despite having four teams earn bids to last year’s NCAA Tournament.

“It’s going to be a matter of what the programs and administrators want to do,” one source said. “Everyone wants to benefit financially, but everyone will have that eventually if the league gets better.”

Multiple sources told FanRag Sports that the majority of the basketball coaches in the league support the addition of the Shockers because of their overall brand and recent history.
    University of Houston '01. Any references to "we" or "us" likely refer to UH. Cheers!

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Re: Wichita State to AAC?

It makes sense in the short-term for the AAC, but I don't think it makes sense for Wichita State.

The Shockers won't like being without a football team in a far-flung football league when they can earn a 1 seed right where they are now, and after the AAC's next TV deal negotiations, I don't think the money would be enough to make up for it, especially since most of the distribution will be for football.

If WSU adds football, then they would make more sense than Navy. Without football, it just seems like a bad idea.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

The AAC's biggest problem is that they have no identity.

The "Power 6" propaganda is silly. People already believe the AAC is the 6th best football conference (but not basketball), but nobody really believes they are a "power" conference. Everybody just laughs it off, and nobody will go along with it. The money and clout just aren't there.

It's an 11-member all-sports conference including 3 private schools plus a traditionally independent military academy on the East coast playing in the West division. It spans the southwest to the southeast to the northeast to the midwest.

Now they are now talking about potentially adding a non-football school in Kansas that may or may not add football in the future.

Their "American" branding is also silly. Nobody thinks of their conference when people hear or see "American." The "A" logo is also weak. @American_Conf? That's awful. Why would a brand new league brand themselves so poorly?

The good thing about C-USA's identity is that we have a distinct southern identity spanning 10 of the 13 southern states without any members outside the South, a good name, and a logo that tells people exactly who we are.
    Last edited by Dawg06; 12-15-2016 at 11:35 PM.

Champ parialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of light

I couldn't agree more about the name. Hate it. I don't mind the logo, though, if it's going to have that name.

As far as WSU goes, though, they are evidently looking to make a move, which suggests that geography isn't really an issue for them. There aren't more geographically appropriate options as good as or better than the MVC. Tulsa is the only close one, but there are four or five more within a traditional conference footprint. There seems to be some interest on their part with both the MWC and AAC in filling in the 12th hole. I could see them going for it. The main questions on their end would seem to be (a) the football question, and (b) future TV contracts (the only number I've heard is that they'd get about $550k a year from TV). The article is ambiguous as to whether it's a "no football" invite or "basketball-only." I have trouble believing it could be the latter, and if it is they'd be insane to take it. The question from the AAC's end would be (a) whether to accept basketball-only members, (b) how committed Navy is to the conference, and (c) future TV revenues.

The sourcing on the article seems to be ambiguous, though. The conference has never previously expressed interest in non-FB members (most members have been in a hybrid conference or two before), and I'm not sure what might have changed. And if Wichita State is serious about adding football, that probably won't work out. (At least, I hope not.)

Here's some local coverage, mostly regurgitating the same information though adding a bit of context. And here is an article (from October) talking about a hope that the Big 12 expands to open up a couple of slots.
    University of Houston '01. Any references to "we" or "us" likely refer to UH. Cheers!

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Wichita State is a basketball school, and a damn good one. Always thought the MVC was a very good league, usually getting more than 1 into the Dance. But, WSU is in the same boat as Gonzaga in its conference. They are each much better than their leagues, and really carry those conferences as far as national perception. But, each conference has 2 or 3 other programs that contribute to the strength.

It does come down to WSU's wishes re: football. Football does drive the train, with MBB an important 2nd, or support, program. Schools that do well, and garner support from fans/alumni/conference affiliation, in those two sports have got it covered. For a school like WSU, they have to be careful not to jump into an all-sports' conference just to get football, but then sacrifice their MBB. If they can get FB and maintain their power-rating in MBB, then they should go for it.

Champ Bearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    The AAC's biggest problem is that they have no identity.

Their "American" branding is also silly. Nobody thinks of their conference when people hear or see "American." The "A" logo is also weak. @American_Conf? That's awful. Why would a brand new league brand themselves so poorly?

The good thing about C-USA's identity is that we have a distinct southern identity spanning 10 of the 13 southern states without any members outside the South, a good name, and a logo that tells people exactly who we are.
    Haha, I agree on the "American" Branding. I think they were so hung up on trying to appealing, that they tried to use the same concept as their old conference's name, conference USA. No originality at all, and it's a flop!

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Maybe, since some of those schools change conferences like Hogdawg changes his underwear/socks....every 2 to 3 years....that the general CFB Nation is simply waiting for the next name change. No sense getting used to the AAC when that'll be defunct in favor of another version soon.

Champ Bearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Maybe, since some of those schools change conferences like Hogdawg changes his underwear/socks....every 2 to 3 years....that the general CFB Nation is simply waiting for the next name change. No sense getting used to the AAC when that'll be defunct in favor of another version soon.
    Next they'll try to fight the current MAC and go as the "Murica Athletic Conference." After all, the MAC is a recognizable brand

Hopefully a conference with a better name. (My general sense is that in ten years most of what we call the AAC will be in a conference called the Big 12, and Conference USA in a conference called The American, and so on.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    Haha, I agree on the "American" Branding. I think they were so hung up on trying to appealing, that they tried to use the same concept as their old conference's name, conference USA. No originality at all, and it's a flop!
    I'd have preferred they bite the bullet and go with something Metro-related (Metro 12, Metro East, Big Metro, something along those lines). Yeah, there'd still be UConn and ECU, but it still would have worked. And if in the future the conference invited Northern Illinois, Southern Miss, or Louisiana Tech, it still wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Back to the beginning....the old Metro Conference!! Had Cincy, Louisville, Memphis State, St. Louis, Florida State, Tulane, Georgia Tech. I think, I probably got a couple wrong. Yeah, I know NO WAY are most of those going back anywhere. But, the name can be revised.

Back to the beginning....the old Metro Conference!! Had Cincy, Louisville, Memphis State, St. Louis, Florida State, Tulane, Georgia Tech. I think, I probably got a couple wrong. Yeah, I know NO WAY are most of those going back anywhere. But, the name can be revised.
    South Florida was also a member, after the GMW split away. Not sure you could use the exact same name because so many aren't there, but some variation to draw on that history just seems like a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by parialex View Post
    South Florida was also a member, after the GMW split away. Not sure you could use the exact same name because so many aren't there, but some variation to draw on that history just seems like a good idea.
    I like that branding much better than the "American Athletic Conference."

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

For a school like WSU, they have to be careful not to jump into an all-sports' conference just to get football, but then sacrifice their MBB. If they can get FB and maintain their power-rating in MBB, then they should go for it.
    I believe their demographic will always support MBB where ours will not. To me their biggest concern should be the weighing the increase in budget the cost of football will bring along with the losses they will incur from adding several non-revenue Title IX sports.

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    I believe their demographic will always support MBB where ours will not. To me their biggest concern should be the weighing the increase in budget the cost of football will bring along with the losses they will incur from adding several non-revenue Title IX sports.
    That's right! Very good point. Will have to create a bunch of women's sports to match the scholies of football.

Actually, I just checked, they have 7 women's sports now. They don't have soccer, so that would provide 15-20 'ships. But, they would have to drop some men's sports: golf, tennis, cross country to help balance the male-female ratio.

+ Reply to Thread