This seems like it could be a win-win. I'd thought it might be good to add a complement to Navy, but I would thinking St Louis. I didn't realize Wichita State was dissatisfied in the MVC. (Though their flirtation with football may have been a clue.)

Wichita State has emerged as a potential basketball-only addition to the American Athletic Conference, but obstacles are still standing in the way of a potential marriage, multiple sources told FanRag Sports.

Four separate sources told FanRag Sports that the Shockers were brought up as a potential basketball-only member at the latest league meetings.

The addition of Wichita State wouldn’t guarantee much financial benefit to the other programs in the American Conference if it was added to the league, but the impact it would have from a basketball perspective would be immense.

The American Conference has struggled to gain national respect since its creation prior to the start of the 2013-14 season despite having four teams earn bids to last year’s NCAA Tournament.

“It’s going to be a matter of what the programs and administrators want to do,” one source said. “Everyone wants to benefit financially, but everyone will have that eventually if the league gets better.”

Multiple sources told FanRag Sports that the majority of the basketball coaches in the league support the addition of the Shockers because of their overall brand and recent history.