+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wichita State to AAC?

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Re: Wichita State to AAC?

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Back to the beginning....the old Metro Conference!! Had Cincy, Louisville, Memphis State, St. Louis, Florida State, Tulane, Georgia Tech. I think, I probably got a couple wrong. Yeah, I know NO WAY are most of those going back anywhere. But, the name can be revised.
    I nailed it! Just checked. This was the Metro as of 1976. Changes began just two years later when Georgia Tech left for the ACC, replaced by Virginia Tech, and St. Louis left and was replaced by Southern Miss.

South Florida didn't join until 1991, along with Charlotte and VCU, to replace departing members FSU, Memphis State, and Cincy, and also South Carolina, which had just joined the Metro, and then departed for the SEC.

There were a bunch of other comings and goings. Cincy and Memphis State left to form a new conference called the Great Midwest Conference. Never heard of it? Don't fret. The ink hadn't dried on the paperwork when it too went defunct as members jumped to other leagues.

All these schools chasing the $$$ by hoping to land in a bigger conference, a richer conference. No, I don't blame them. But sometimes it's best to sit where you are and just observe.

For instance:
    And through it all the absolutely smartest school has been....Vanderbilt. They have just sat there quietly raking in HUGE revenues as members of the SEC, without contributing a whole lot to its athletic success. The stupidest school: Tulane. They voluntarily left the SEC back in the 1960's. As did Georgia Tech, but at least GT has landed on its feet in a P5 conference.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Footnote:

The Great Midwest Conference did exist for a couple of years. But, it's epitaph was written even before it played its first official league game. A proposal to merge the GWC back into a selected portion of the Metro was made and accepted by the presidents/ADs of enough schools to effectively kill the conference. The ultimate results of the merger was CUSA. Surprisingly Virginia Tech was one the schools NOT invited to join CUSA. They and VCU sued to block the move, but the lawsuit was dismissed.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    I hope they take the football route and get in C-USA.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77 View Post
    I hope they take the football route and get in C-USA.
    I hope not. Don't want 'em. If they think they're too big for the MVC, then I hope they go to the A-10 or Big East. The last thing C-USA needs is a 15th team in Kansas (and 16th somewhere else?). WSU joining C-USA would ensure Tech would never make the NCAA Tourney and split the football distribution pool even smaller.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

I hope not. Don't want 'em. If they think they're too big for the MVC, then I hope they go to the A-10 or Big East. The last thing C-USA needs is a 15th team in Kansas (and 16th somewhere else?). WSU joining C-USA would ensure Tech would never make the NCAA Tourney and split the football distribution pool even smaller.
    ok, you win
    Good old Memorial Gym

Champ Bearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by skilldawg View Post
    I would take them, bit I have little confidence in our commissioner's ability to woo them.

The selling point would be CWSU
    All championships held in Wichita

Fire... http://www.espn.com/college-sports/s...-sate-shockers

If I'm the AAC, I say "Thanks but no thanks until you add football." Just another 2 conference losses for Tulane. I think it'd be foolish if the AAC presidents and ADs let WSU in without football. It's a bandaid that will cause problems in the long-term. It would give WSU a huge advantage in basketball by allowing them to focus all their resources on hoops while all other members have to put the majority of their resources into football. But knowing the AAC and their lack of vision, they'll let the Shockers in.

The AAC would become a conference with a football-only military academy in Maryland, a non-football school in Kansas, 3 private all-sports members in Oklahoma, Texas, and Louisiana, and 8 public all-sports members in Texas, Tennessee, Florida, Ohio, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, and Connecticut. They've created a conference with no identity.

Champ Bearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond repute

The AAC would become a conference with a football-only military academy in Maryland, a non-football school in Kansas, 3 private all-sports members in Oklahoma, Texas, and Louisiana, and 8 public all-sports members in Texas, Tennessee, Florida, Ohio, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, and Connecticut. They've created a conference with no identity.
    The Conneticut to Florida to Texas triangle is puzzling to me

Champ parialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of light

If I'm the AAC, I say "Thanks but no thanks until you add football." Just another 2 conference losses for Tulane. I think it'd be foolish if the AAC presidents and ADs let WSU in without football. It's a bandaid that will cause problems in the long-term. It would give WSU a huge advantage in basketball by allowing them to focus all their resources on hoops while all other members have to put the majority of their resources into football. But knowing the AAC and their lack of vision, they'll let the Shockers in.
    I think the invitation is actually contingent on them *not* adding football. At least among fans, we like the idea as long as they don't have football but aren't interested in a newbie football program.
    University of Houston '01. Any references to "we" or "us" likely refer to UH. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by parialex View Post
    I think the invitation is actually contingent on them *not* adding football. At least among fans, we like the idea as long as they don't have football but aren't interested in a newbie football program.
    So, do you prefer them as "basketball only" members, or "all-but-football" members?

Champ parialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    So, do you prefer them as "basketball only" members, or "all-but-football" members?
    Their baseball program is good, too. But I think to take basketball is necessarily to take everything (but football). I also think geography works in their favor as we could use another western school.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    There's no such thing as "basketball only" members. That'd be against NCAA rules. Every sport you sponsor that your conference sponsors must compete in that conference with the only exception being football.

Quote Originally Posted by parialex View Post
    That's just nuts. It's a knee-jerk reaction by both sides. Things like that are what ultimately rip conferences apart.

+ Reply to Thread