+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Gramblings big Accomplishment really that big?

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Is Gramblings big Accomplishment really that big?

When I was younger, all I ever saw was National Champion this and that about Grambling. It wasn't until college that I though about what a bill of goods that was. We have won DII titles against much broader competition that haven't received nearly as much recognition.

Varsity Bulldog Elwagonne is just really niceElwagonne is just really niceElwagonne is just really niceElwagonne is just really niceElwagonne is just really niceElwagonne is just really niceElwagonne is just really niceElwagonne is just really niceElwagonne is just really niceElwagonne is just really niceElwagonne is just really nice

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    When I was younger, all I ever saw was National Champion this and that about Grambling. It wasn't until college that I though about what a bill of goods that was. We have won DII titles against much broader competition that haven't received nearly as much recognition.
    I would encourage you to do some deeper research into why that is so. It's not a fluke as to why there are more Pro Football Hall of Famers from Grambling than schools such as LSU, Texas A&M, us.....

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Elwagonne View Post
    I would encourage you to do some deeper research into why that is so. It's not a fluke as to why there are more Pro Football Hall of Famers from Grambling than schools such as LSU, Texas A&M, us.....
    Grambling has 4 players in the NFL HOF right? I would encourage you to do some deeper research to prove whatever point you are trying to make. This ain't a fake news source.

Bulldog supermel311 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesupermel311 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesupermel311 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesupermel311 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesupermel311 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesupermel311 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesupermel311 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesupermel311 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesupermel311 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesupermel311 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesupermel311 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time supermel311's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    Tech won 1 D2 title on the field. That's it.
    ULM The only team in North Louisiana with a Division 1 National Football Championship.

Champ OLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond repute

Sir, your "signature" is inaccurate.

Div II = Div 1a

Like "cow" and Bovine.

Oh, and NLU = ULM.

Bulldog supermel311 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesupermel311 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesupermel311 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesupermel311 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesupermel311 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesupermel311 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesupermel311 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesupermel311 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesupermel311 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesupermel311 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesupermel311 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time supermel311's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OLDBLUE View Post
    Sir, your "signature" is inaccurate.

Div II = Div 1a
    what?
    ULM The only team in North Louisiana with a Division 1 National Football Championship.

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

I don't know when Grambling won their 14 championships, but the during Eddie Robinson's early days he coached some of the best athletes in America...guys who would be highly sought after in today's recruiting world. Those championships were legit because they were playing against other great athletes who didn't have many options outside of HBCU schools. From the 1970s forward, I agree that the championships haven't had the same meaning, but Grambling has produced some great talent over the years. No need to run them down.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StrayDawg View Post
    Grambling has produced some great talent over the years. No need to run them down.
    Did somebody say they had not? Nobody ran them down. This whole thing has been about them getting the same (actually more) local coverage than Tech because it's PC to recognize their recent accomplishment.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by supermel311 View Post
    Tech won 1 D2 title on the field. That's it.
    National championships

Louisiana Tech claims three football national titles. From 1964 to 1972, four regional bowl games were played that led up to a wire service poll to determine the final champion of Division II's predecessor, the NCAA College Division. In 1972, Louisiana Tech beat Tennessee Tech 35-0 in the Grantland Rice Bowl to win the Mideast Regional Championship. The Bulldogs finished the 1972 season undefeated at 12-0 and were subsequently named 1972 College Division National Champions by the National Football Foundation. Despite not playing in a regional championship, Delaware was named 1972 NCAA College Division National Champions by the Associated Press and United Press International. A playoff series was started in 1973 to determine the Division II champion. In the inaugural Division II football playoffs, Louisiana Tech beat Western Illinois in the quarterfinals and Boise State in the Pioneer Bowl semifinals. Tech advanced to the championship game to beat Western Kentucky 34-0 and finished the season with a 12-1 record as 1973 NCAA Division II National Champions. In 1974, the UPI did not recognize the winner of the playoffs, Central Michigan, as national champions. Instead, the UPI presented the 1974 Division II national title to Louisiana Tech, who finished with an 11-1 record.

1973 National Champions license plate

Year Overall Record Conference Record Coach Selector
    1972 12–0–0 5–0–0 Maxie Lambright National Football Foundation College Division
    1973 12–1–0 5–0–0 Maxie Lambright NCAA Division II
    1974 11–1–0 5–0–0 Maxie Lambright United Press International College Division

Regional championships

Louisiana Tech won three regional football championships. From 1964 to 1972, four regional bowl games were played that led up to a wire service poll to determine the final champion of Division II's predecessor, the NCAA College Division. In 1968, Louisiana Tech beat Akron 33-13 in the Grantland Rice Bowl to become Mideast Regional Champions. In 1971, Louisiana Tech defeated Eastern Michigan 14-3 in the Pioneer Bowl to become Midwest Regional Champions. In 1972, Louisiana Tech beat Tennessee Tech 35-0 in the Grantland Rice Bowl to win the Mideast Regional Championship.

Year Overall Record Conference Record Coach Region
    1968 9–2–0 3–2–0 Maxie Lambright Mideast
    1971 9–2–0 4–1–0 Maxie Lambright Midwest
    1972 12–0–0 5–0–0 Maxie Lambright Mideast

How many did they win on the field?

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by supermel311 View Post
    How many did they win on the field?
    Since they posted a 35-2 record over 3 years, I'd say they won all 3 of 'em on the field. They won two of them the same way EVERYBODY ELSE on the Div 1 level won national championships too. By polls.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

The year we beat Western Kentucky 34-0 in that bowl, that game was the national championship. That was 1973 and it was a true playoff process. We beat Western Illinois, then Boazy, and finally WKU to win ON THE FIELD a national championship. The year before we were invited to play in the Grantland Rice Bowl vs. Tennessee Tech in the de facto national championship. That was the same as the original BCS system of placing #1 and #2 in a bowl to play for the NC. We beat Tenn Tech 35-0. We had to win that game to claim a NC.

That makes TWO "on the field" national championships.

Other than those our other national championship was settled in the polls....ya know, just like all the championships won by Notre Dame, Ohio State, Alabama, et al over all those decades of CFB.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

But, while I love history as much as the next fellow, all of that is history. Let's focus on the here and now, more recent times. Let me see....hmmmm....do we have a bowl game coming up soon?

How about ulm? When do they play their bowl game this year? Must have been left off the bowl schedule, since I don't see them listed.

ya know...isn't it curious that in 1973 the road to our goal, the NC, went thru Boazy and WKU. Seems like we have always been battling with Boazy and WKU. In 2001 our game against Boazy ended up being the WAC conference title. We won that day to finish 7-1 while they finished 6-2. We were WAC champs. Had to beat Boazy to be champion. In many of those years, we failed to beat Boazy, they won the WAC title. This year we had to beat WKU to be CUSA champs.

The more things change, the more they remain the same.

Varsity Bulldog Elwagonne is just really niceElwagonne is just really niceElwagonne is just really niceElwagonne is just really niceElwagonne is just really niceElwagonne is just really niceElwagonne is just really niceElwagonne is just really niceElwagonne is just really niceElwagonne is just really niceElwagonne is just really nice

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    Grambling has 4 players in the NFL HOF right? I would encourage you to do some deeper research to prove whatever point you are trying to make. This ain't a fake news source.
    I'll ignore your 'fake news source' mention. I think StrayDawg provided the supporting facts that I was implying. That being said, rebounding from a mutiny to best in class in three years deserves some recognition.

+ Reply to Thread