+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Year's Day - Tech @ USM Promos

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Re: New Year's Day - Tech @ USM Promos

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post

And, as I posted, while there is some "guidance" on discounts for tickets to sporting events, I don't know the details. Can find out though, fairly easily. And the easiest way to find out is to ask an AD or someone in the AD's office. Ask your pal Tommy Mac.
    I thought it was a legit question. We've heard it for years and yes, we have heard the stories of schools getting in trouble for trying to get rid of antiquated and useless property. Tickets are different IMO. Marketing involves creative use of tickets even if sold at a very reduced amount.

My first comment in this thread was a poke at our incompetent AD and his sidekick who have zero clue on how to market, manage ticket sales, or draw a crowd. They operate off greed, not what's best for their employer or those who support their employer. $15 cheap seats for MBB and exorbitant rates (seat taxes) for football tickets, etc.. are examples of what NOT to do.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

There are laws...maybe not a "law" per se, but definitely policies about pricing any public institution's services/products. That includes tickets for sporting events. Given that state taxpayers provide the means by which these entities exist, it is incumbent upon those responsible to be good stewards of the assets. I know schools can't give away tickets (for free). I don't know about discounts and just how low prices can go. Most of these policies are made after the state Attorney General is asked to offer an opinion. That opinion then becomes a rule by which state auditors make their decisions. Of course, that means all someone has to do is ask the new AG to review a policy and issue a new opinion.

USM can sell tix to a game for a $1 because the policies of the State of Mississippi allow it, I'm sure. That is not the case in Louisiana under current policies.
    Who told you this?

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

The way it works, in practice, is someone wants to do something, like, sell tix at a discount, for instance. Often, the deed happens...somewhere. And after the fact, some state auditor says you can't do that. Why? Why can't we do that, someone asks the auditor. Because, it was done at such-and-such school and it violates legislative rules, or policies, whatever the correct term is.

I KNOW THIS FOR A FACT as it pertains to giving away tickets to sporting events. A school did that, got their wrist slapped, and then everyone was told you can NOT do that. An AD at a school does NOT have the authority to give away state property, which tickets to a game are. Anymore than a school can say, hey! we have all these old desks, computers, etc...who wants them? Come get 'em. All of that....including the "product" that is sporting events at public institutions...belongs to the State of Louisiana. I would think that as a taxpayer you would be glad that someone is trying to look after the investment all we taxpayers have made.

And, as I posted, while there is some "guidance" on discounts for tickets to sporting events, I don't know the details. Can find out though, fairly easily. And the easiest way to find out is to ask an AD or someone in the AD's office. Ask your pal Tommy Mac.
    Again, you say you "KNOW FOR A FACT" that these absurdities exist, but you don't say who told you this. I could come up with a thousand examples to challenge this absurd notion, but I'm sure you already know them too. I'm simply curious as to who told you this?

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

A state auditor.

A state auditor.
    Riiiiiight....

Does this state auditor have a NAME? Or is this a situation where you would have to kill us if you told us his name because it's top secret?

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

I believe by law we can discount up to 1/3 of the capacity of any arena or stadium up to 2/3 the regular price of said general admission ticket....

Basically 3k tickets in a 9k arena @ $3 each if the GA ticket is $10

I may be off a little bit in the wording but I believe I'm pretty close to the policy for all ULS schools per guidelines and policies handed down by the legislative auditors office, if not The Historian can correct me cause I know he knows the exact restrictions

The trick is lining up sponsors to partner with the school to bring that $3 or $5 ticket down to $1 cost for limited seats
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    I believe by law we can discount up to 1/3 of the capacity of any arena or stadium up to 2/3 the regular price of said general admission ticket....

I may be off a little bit in the wording but I believe I'm pretty close to the policy for all ULS schools per guidelines and policies handed down by the legislative auditors office, if not The Historian can correct me cause I know he knows the exact restrictions

The trick is lining up sponsors to partner with the school to bring that $3 or $5 ticket down to $1 cost for limited seats
    As I posted TWICE I did not know the exact details of the policy re: discounts. Just know there is a policy. And, as I posted, you can not give them away. But for some reason, HD is having trouble grasping that simple concept.

And yes, sponsors can buy them and allow the school to "give" them away.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post

winner, winner . . . .
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Attendance for hoops will always be an issue. North Louisiana is not basketball country.

I attended EVERY home game in the seasons of 83-84 and 84-85. If there was ever a MBB team at Tech that deserved support, and earned that support, it was that team. We went 26-7 and 29-3 those two years. We were nationally ranked. And went 3-2 in the Big Dance those two years. How many Big Dance wins does Tech have in its entire history? Just a handful. This was no small accomplishment.

Yes, attendance, by Tech's MBB standards, was pretty good, especially for the big conference match-ups with Lamar, USL, and McNeese (with Joe Dumars), and of course with the little JUCO down I-20. But, games vs. North Texas, UTA, and non-conference games vs. Rice, Weber State to name two, was pretty sparse. They might have announced 3,000 but there was only about half that many butts in seats. That was at a time when Weber State was coming off its own Big Dance appearance and was "pretty good." I remember seeing the schedule that year and was excited to see us hosting a team like that. A quality non-conference opponent in Ruston! But, apparently North Louisiana didn't get the memo that it should be excited too.

Now, the 1985 Conference tourney, in Ruston, was well-attended. Just about a sell-out, well, it might have been an actual sell-out with a few no-shows. But, a lot of that was due to the visiting schools, like the JUCO, USL, Lamar bringing some fans, like several hundred. As I recall, we beat the JUCO then Lamar to win the auto-bid. One of those had upset McNeese to keep them out of the semis.

Legit crowds of about 3,500 were common for the big games, vs. USL and vs. Lamar, especially. Maybe even 4,000. But, it's a 7,000-seat arena. There was room for more folks.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Attendance for hoops will always be an issue. North Louisiana is not basketball country.

I attended EVERY home game in the seasons of 83-84 and 84-85. If there was ever a MBB team at Tech that deserved support, and earned that support, it was that team. We went 26-7 and 29-3 those two years. We were nationally ranked. And went 3-2 in the Big Dance those two years. How many Big Dance wins does Tech have in its entire history? Just a handful. This was no small accomplishment.

Yes, attendance, by Tech's MBB standards, was pretty good, especially for the big conference match-ups with Lamar, USL, and McNeese (with Joe Dumars), and of course with the little JUCO down I-20. But, games vs. North Texas, UTA, and non-conference games vs. Rice, Weber State to name two, was pretty sparse. They might have announced 3,000 but there was only about half that many butts in seats. That was at a time when Weber State was coming off its own Big Dance appearance and was "pretty good." I remember seeing the schedule that year and was excited to see us hosting a team like that. A quality non-conference opponent in Ruston! But, apparently North Louisiana didn't get the memo that it should be excited too.

Now, the 1985 Conference tourney, in Ruston, was well-attended. Just about a sell-out, well, it might have been an actual sell-out with a few no-shows. But, a lot of that was due to the visiting schools, like the JUCO, USL, Lamar bringing some fans, like several hundred. As I recall, we beat the JUCO then Lamar to win the auto-bid. One of those had upset McNeese to keep them out of the semis.

Legit crowds of about 3,500 were common for the big games, vs. USL and vs. Lamar, especially. Maybe even 4,000. But, it's a 7,000-seat arena. There was room for more folks.
    I don't think this has to be the issue. If we become a power top 25 team, people will pack the arena. We have even seen it with WBB back in the day. No one can tell me that MBB can't do the same, but we have to do a very difficult task of getting in the top 25 and staying to build a fan base. People love a winner on the national level. That is why so many in N. La. follow lsu football. It is a shame, because it is a cart and horse situation, but it can be done.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    I don't think this has to be the issue. If we become a power top 25 team, people will pack the arena. We have even seen it with WBB back in the day. No one can tell me that MBB can't do the same, but we have to do a very difficult task of getting in the top 25 and staying to build a fan base. People love a winner on the national level. That is why so many in N. La. follow lsu football. It is a shame, because it is a cart and horse situation, but it can be done.
    WBB was followed a completely different set of folks. Many, if not most, of them only cared about "Lady Techster" WBB, not Tech athletics.

No other MBB program in the south has a consistent following of fans. Not even SEC teams. Florida comes close, but that's the extreme. Don't included Kentucky, Louisville, or Duke as "southern teams". They are not.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

February-March basketball at The TAC is so totally different from December-January.
    Youth basketball leagues are ending, but travel baseball is kicking in. Regardless, family/youth attendance seems to pick up the last two months.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

As I posted TWICE I did not know the exact details of the policy re: discounts. Just know there is a policy. And, as I posted, you can not give them away. But for some reason, HD is having trouble grasping that simple concept.

And yes, sponsors can buy them and allow the school to "give" them away.
    No, I simply asked you TWICE --in a very nice way, in hopes of not offending your sensitive feelings-- who told you that, because the rule sounds dumber than cardboard....which means its probably true in the state of Louisiana.

Please forget that I asked. You can now return to your "safe place".

I'm intrigued about this subject because during the Jim Oakes era, I was asked on numerous occasions (as were others) to "buy football tickets" for donations back to local high school kids, etc.. and was given very deep discounts to do so. For instance, one time I bought 100 football tickets for $300, and donated the tickets back to kids in Claiborne parish.

At the risk of actually getting a crowd we do this kind of crap...

The Dunkin' Dogs take on UTEP at home in the Thomas Assembly Center on Thursday, January 5 at 6:30PM presented by CSRA! It’s the annual RED OUT game and military appreciation – all local military can receive a discounted ticket by calling (318) 257-5152. The 1st 500 fans at the game will receive a military themed #DunkinDogs Red Out shirt!

On Saturday, January 7, at 6:00PM the Bulldogs will take on UTSA presented by LA Capitol - It's LA Tech Football Day, fans can take a picture with the Armed Forces Bowl Trophy and the first 500 fans will receive a replica Karl Malone Basketball Court Rally Towel.

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    No, I simply asked you TWICE --in a very nice way, in hopes of not offending your sensitive feelings-- who told you that, because the rule sounds dumber than cardboard....which means its probably true in the state of Louisiana.

Please forget that I asked. You can now return to your "safe place".

I'm intrigued about this subject because during the Jim Oakes era, I was asked on numerous occasions (as were others) to "buy football tickets" for donations back to local high school kids, etc.. and was given very deep discounts to do so. For instance, one time I bought 100 football tickets for $300, and donated the tickets back to kids in Claiborne parish.
    If you are as smart as I give you credit for, you know why I didn't disclose a name. I shouldn't have even offered it was a "state auditor." Next time, as I've done in the past, I will simply make factual statements and those on this forum can choose to believe it, or not.

And, yes, anyone can buy tix and have the school donate those.

+ Reply to Thread