+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: W. Basketball. @LATechWBB Hosts UAB Thursday

Champ OLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond repute

Re: W. Basketball. @LATechWBB Hosts UAB Thursday

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    I just have to say WOW on that come back. I was watching on CUSA tv and had given up with 6 minutes left. I stayed with it, though, and SO glad I did. Brooke has this team believing right now and she and this team have done a miraculous job!
    ++ Team fan!

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ilovebball View Post
    Obviously you don't know how Santos has been treated this year. You are correct she is very much a TEAM player but you are also VERY wrong as to her being good with her "role". I would hate for LaTech to lose her for next year, but would completely understand if she moves on.
    Then she is not "very much a TEAM player." Can't have it both ways. Can't be so unhappy with your role that you move on, and also be a team player. Choose one.

Personally, I don't care which she chooses. It's not about her. No one player even comes close to being as important as the program as a whole. If she is TRULY a team player she will embrace the role Coach Brooke has placed her in, and be the best she can at it. If she is more concerned about her PT and being a "star" then yes, she needs to transfer out.

Note: I don't know why Coach Brooke has cast Santos in this role. But, I trust her decision-making and am willing to give Brooke the benefit of the doubt. She must have her reasons.

Champ OLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously you don't know how Santos has been treated this year. You are correct she is very much a TEAM player but you are also VERY wrong as to her being good with her "role". I would hate for LaTech to lose her for next year, but would completely understand if she moves on.
    No, maybe we don't; but, your statement "very much a team player ...wrong about her being good with her role" seems to be contradictory. And, it also implies Our coaches are creeps and/or fools, does it not? That indicates a response built upon emotion and misunderstanding. I can even see how you could go there, but think better of our coaches. But, please make your point to the coaching staff, not here.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

I think Brooke has shown that she knows what she is doing. This is a silly argument and is just stirring something that isn't there. We are either a team and everyone plays their role or we aren't. Personally, I think the non-team attitude has been our problem for many years now.

Champ Beaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud of Beaver-Dog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by philgarris View Post
    That is between player and coach and is not any of our business, move on
    +1

There is a nice highlight clip on Brookes twitter page on the comeback.

Champ philgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her game

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver-Dog View Post
    +1

There is a nice highlight clip on Brookes twitter page on the comeback.
    I have always said if a player has an issue with playing time then come to me and we will sit down and discuss why things are the way that they are, I had that conversation each and every year and I followed that if you as a friend, fan or parent has issues with playing time then discuss it with the athlete because they know why it is like it is, I coach the athlete and that is who I will discuss playing time or lack of with.

I like Santos and I think she gives productive minutes when she is in there but I am not at practice I am not in the class room and I am not in the know, I know that Brooke gives her praise about what she does on the floor and I like the energy she brings when she is in there, I think she give crucial minutes when she is called on and that works for the betterment of the team.

I do think that she is a team player and I hope she continues to work within the frame of the program

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

I've experienced this issue many times as a player and a coach. One year when I was playing Dizzy Dean League baseball my coach kept me out of the starting line up a lot (not always, I got some starts). About halfway thru the season I asked him why. He said I was one his better defensive players, and I was versatile, able to play either the infield or the outfield, so he wanted to be able to insert me into the lineup depending on the situation in the later innings for defensive purposes. Might have been total BS! but it made some sense to me at the time. I got to play in every game, although I often got just one plate appearance. I did lay down a suicide squeeze bunt to win a game in our last at bat. I was the hero of the game!

As a coach, when I had the luxury of having a looooong bench, I didn't always start my best players. Instead, I would size up what the other team was doing, do some quick coaching/instructing with someone on the bench, and sub in one of my talented back-ups with a specific "mission."

Coach Brooke knows what she's doing.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    I've experienced this issue many times as a player and a coach. One year when I was playing Dizzy Dean League baseball my coach kept me out of the starting line up a lot (not always, I got some starts). About halfway thru the season I asked him why. He said I was one his better defensive players, and I was versatile, able to play either the infield or the outfield, so he wanted to be able to insert me into the lineup depending on the situation in the later innings for defensive purposes. Might have been total BS! but it made some sense to me at the time. I got to play in every game, although I often got just one plate appearance. I did lay down a suicide squeeze bunt to win a game in our last at bat. I was the hero of the game!

As a coach, when I had the luxury of having a looooong bench, I didn't always start my best players. Instead, I would size up what the other team was doing, do some quick coaching/instructing with someone on the bench, and sub in one of my talented back-ups with a specific "mission."

Coach Brooke knows what she's doing.
    Plus, I believe Santos has shown that she is a total team player. Never have I seen a complaint from her and her body language during games and in the locker room after show that she is totally on board and with this team. Glad to have her so committed, especially after having to deal with her best friend and former coach. She is a young lady with class. All this has been stirred up by one poster and is silly and divisive.

Puppy Ilovebball is on top of his/her gameIlovebball is on top of his/her gameIlovebball is on top of his/her gameIlovebball is on top of his/her gameIlovebball is on top of his/her gameIlovebball is on top of his/her gameIlovebball is on top of his/her gameIlovebball is on top of his/her gameIlovebball is on top of his/her gameIlovebball is on top of his/her gameIlovebball is on top of his/her game

Quote Originally Posted by philgarris View Post
    That is between player and coach and is not any of our business, move on
    Coach Garris,
    First I want to apologize for my lack of understanding regarding the parameters of this thread. I am new member and before I did any posting I read several other posts for the women's basketball program. I read several posts that people actually had honest (both positive and negative) questions and comments regarding coaches and players. I did not know that Coach Brooke was a taboo topic here and that my questions/comments would create such a harsh reaction from you and others. I respect everyone's opinion and would never tell somebody to "move on" just because I don't agree with them. I am not posting anything to create "drama" but unfortunately I do know the day to day happenings regarding the coach and team. Remember, just because everything looks great on the outside and the coach says all the right things, doesn't mean everything is rosy (hopefully you haven't forgotten the Coach Tyler fiasco). I believe this is a talented team and get frustrated when they lose games that they shouldn't have. I'm glad that you believe in Coach Brooke and have faith that she is doing all of the right things, but please don't bash others who may have questions when something doesn't make sense.

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

Ilovebball,
    You've documented your extreme desire for more playing time for Ashley Santos and have stated that you are "frustrated when they lose games that they shouldn't have". Ok, where exactly is Santos going to be the "game changer" that is needed if she only had more minutes? Make your case with some FACTS please because it looks like she is getting about the right amount of playing time. Clearly she needs to work on her 3-point accuracy.

Santos' stats rank on the team through 1/29:
    Minutes played: #9
    Field goal %: 0.482 (6th best on a team that averages 0.447)
    3-point FG %: 0.125 (Of the players attempting a 3-pointer this season only 1 player on the team has a worse % than Santos)
    Free throw %: 0.714 (#6 rank with others close behind her)
    Fouls committed: 32 (7th most on the team)
    Assists: 8 (#9 on the team)
    Turnovers committed: 22 (8th most on the team)
    Steals: 9 (9th best on the team)
    Pts/Game: 3.3 (7th best on the team)

If I were closer to the inner workings of this team, or if I were the coach, I might agree Santos should be getting more PT. Nothing I have posted should be construed as my simply bashing Santos in favor of Coach Brooke. What I have posted is based on what I know of our coach, it would be 180 degrees contrary for her to deny a player PT for any other reason than she thinks it's the best thing for the team.

I do hope we can let this thread die. Mostly, I hope in March Santos buries a buzzer-beater, say in our conference tourney, that puts us into the Dance. I suspect then all this mess will be forgotten.

Champ DJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

Coach Garris,
    First I want to apologize for my lack of understanding regarding the parameters of this thread. I am new member and before I did any posting I read several other posts for the women's basketball program. I read several posts that people actually had honest (both positive and negative) questions and comments regarding coaches and players. I did not know that Coach Brooke was a taboo topic here and that my questions/comments would create such a harsh reaction from you and others. I respect everyone's opinion and would never tell somebody to "move on" just because I don't agree with them. I am not posting anything to create "drama" but unfortunately I do know the day to day happenings regarding the coach and team. Remember, just because everything looks great on the outside and the coach says all the right things, doesn't mean everything is rosy (hopefully you haven't forgotten the Coach Tyler fiasco). I believe this is a talented team and get frustrated when they lose games that they shouldn't have. I'm glad that you believe in Coach Brooke and have faith that she is doing all of the right things, but please don't bash others who may have questions when something doesn't make sense.
    Heck, don't even mention nepotism.

Just curious, what's the contract for the "other" co-head coach and, if they are supposedly equal, then how can one make so much more than the other?

Puppy Ilovebball is on top of his/her gameIlovebball is on top of his/her gameIlovebball is on top of his/her gameIlovebball is on top of his/her gameIlovebball is on top of his/her gameIlovebball is on top of his/her gameIlovebball is on top of his/her gameIlovebball is on top of his/her gameIlovebball is on top of his/her gameIlovebball is on top of his/her gameIlovebball is on top of his/her game

Quote Originally Posted by DogsWin View Post
    Ilovebball,
    You've documented your extreme desire for more playing time for Ashley Santos and have stated that you are "frustrated when they lose games that they shouldn't have". Ok, where exactly is Santos going to be the "game changer" that is needed if she only had more minutes? Make your case with some FACTS please because it looks like she is getting about the right amount of playing time. Clearly she needs to work on her 3-point accuracy.

Santos' stats rank on the team through 1/29:
    Minutes played: #9
    Field goal %: 0.482 (6th best on a team that averages 0.447)
    3-point FG %: 0.125 (Of the players attempting a 3-pointer this season only 1 player on the team has a worse % than Santos)
    Free throw %: 0.714 (#6 rank with others close behind her)
    Fouls committed: 32 (7th most on the team)
    Assists: 8 (#9 on the team)
    Turnovers committed: 22 (8th most on the team)
    Steals: 9 (9th best on the team)
    Pts/Game: 3.3 (7th best on the team)
    OK DogsWin here are some FACTS:

2015-2016 Stats: 2016-2017 Stats:
    Games played/started- 28/28 20/2
    Average minutes played- 27.5 (3rd highest) 10.0
    FG%- .377 (#5) 48.2 (big improvement)
    3pt %- .185 (in the shitter) .125 (now playing the power forward position, still in the shitter)
    FT%- .67 (#6) .714 (improvement)
    Rebound average- 4.8 (#2) 2.5
    Scoring average- 9.3 (#3) 3.3

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    If I were closer to the inner workings of this team, or if I were the coach, I might agree Santos should be getting more PT. Nothing I have posted should be construed as my simply bashing Santos in favor of Coach Brooke. What I have posted is based on what I know of our coach, it would be 180 degrees contrary for her to deny a player PT for any other reason than she thinks it's the best thing for the team.

I do hope we can let this thread die. Mostly, I hope in March Santos buries a buzzer-beater, say in our conference tourney, that puts us into the Dance. I suspect then all this mess will be forgotten.
    dawg80:
    You have missed my whole point. You have turned this into "Santos needs to be top dog", and that is not it at all! It is clearly about the team, and as I have stated before I think that she is the missing part to this team. She brings great leadership (which others have also pointed out is lacking), experience, IQ, and positive energy to the game. Once again, it's just my opinion which obviously you don't agree with, but that's OK.

You missed my point too.

+ Reply to Thread