+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: February 9-11 Schedule/Standings

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

Re: February 9-11 Schedule/Standings

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    And sorry, but the DFW media exposure is laughable. Our two bowl games there were largely ignored by the DFW media, and the C-USA Tourney would only be a footnote.
    Lol. Where do you live? Our two DFW bowls were both well covered by the media and very well attended (with both bowl committees being impressed by LA Tech's fan turnout). There may not be another US metro area with more cumulative CUSA alumni that DFW!

All I'm saying is that CUSA should move into this century and ROTATE the CUSA tournament around. To say that DFW would be embarrassing and insignificant is just a grossly ignorant statement. But believe whatever you want to believe.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    To what? Coaches' vote?
    IDK. That's why I asked if it needed to be changed. There is an certainly an issue with those who have been deciding. Birmingham even when UAB breaks the rules is weak and the attendance has been horrible there.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DogsWin View Post
    Lol. Where do you live? Our two DFW bowls were both well covered by the media and very well attended (with both bowl committees being impressed by LA Tech's fan turnout). There may not be another US metro area with more cumulative CUSA alumni that DFW!

All I'm saying is that CUSA should move into this century and ROTATE the CUSA tournament around. To say that DFW would be embarrassing and insignificant is just a grossly ignorant statement. But believe whatever you want to believe.
    Oh, boy.

The AF Bowl didn't even hold a media day after bowl selections like most every other bowl does.

We got 3 articles in the Star-Telegram. Two day of preview articles and one gamer. That's it. They let folks know there was an F-35 downtown if you want to count that. They didn't even write one after the bowl made their selections. Unbelievable, really.

The DMN also had nothing about our game after bowl selections. They published a couple previews, but I can't confirm if they made the print edition or not. The day after the bowl, the DMN only put a picture in the paper about our game. The DMN didn't even print the article or quick hits they published online.

I couldn't find a single story online by any of the DFW TV news stations.

Our bowl games must've been the talk of DFW sports talk radio if they truly were "well covered" like you claim.

I live in Shreveport where the Indy Bowl gets media coverage almost everyday for a month and then wall-to-wall coverage game week across all local media platforms. 1000x more coverage than DFW bowls.
    Last edited by Dawg06; 02-12-2017 at 02:31 PM.

Champ olddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond repute

I watched highlights on NBC and Fox here in Dallas the night of the game.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stodgdog View Post
    Why is the conference tourney in Birmingham again?
    If you ask, the UAB folks will say it's because they put in the "best bid" whatever that means. I gather the number of venues is a factor since both tournaments are in the same place.

I've got no problem with them bidding it out and going with what works best for the whole conference. And Birmingham is about as centrally located as we could get. But they shouldn't have been allowed to bid at all for this one, because they weren't in compliance with conference bylaws when the bidding happened.

It's no better for us to go to El Paso or anywhere out east. DFW would be great, but I'm not sure it makes a huge splash out here. It wouldn't be ignored, but it wouldn't be the big thing going like it might in El Paso or Birmingham (or Shreveport or what the Belt has had in Hot Springs, NLR, or NO even).

Because I don't like huge conferences, I'd love an east/west split into two conferences, but the NCAA is so tied to having as many at-large bids as possible for the basketball tournament that somebody would lose an auto-bid. So a new conference is a non-starter.

Champ Bearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    If you ask, the UAB folks will say it's because they put in the "best bid" whatever that means. I gather the number of venues is a factor since both tournaments are in the same place.

I've got no problem with them bidding it out and going with what works best for the whole conference. And Birmingham is about as centrally located as we could get. But they shouldn't have been allowed to bid at all for this one, because they weren't in compliance with conference bylaws when the bidding happened.

Would you please summarize what the compliance issue was?

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    They didn't have a football team.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    Charlotte and Saint Louis had to withdraw from C-USA in 2005 for that same compliance issue, but UAB got rewarded with the C-USA Basketball Tournament.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    This.

I believe the by-laws stipulate that you've got to have a football team to be in CUSA (rightly).

The Presidents hadn't voted on kicking them out yet when the bids came due, but football had officially been canceled and they let it slide without knowing it was coming back (or maybe they did know, but it wasn't public). I'd argue that separate from the by-laws, they should have been punished by the conference for screwing us all over for 2 years while they rebooted the program, and not being able to host tournaments would have been in the appropriate range for that kind of punishment. But I can understand the conference (either the head offices or the collective presidents) not "letting their money get mad" and giving it to Birmingham if that was the best place once football was reinstated (although that wouldn't have been my preference, my viewpoint is that of a fan). So future bids I understand, but in my opinion they shouldn't have been eligible for this one.

I did a little research.

There are 32 conferences. None of them hold their conference basketball tournaments in DFW.

In the last 11 years, only 1 conference has held their conference tourney in DFW: the SWAC. The SWAC held it in Garland for 3 years before moving it to Houston.

There's a good reason why nobody holds their conference tourneys in DFW. It's too big, and the tourney would get no coverage.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    I did a little research.

There are 32 conferences. None of them hold their conference basketball tournaments in DFW.

In the last 11 years, only 1 conference has held their conference tourney in DFW: the SWAC. The SWAC held it in Garland for 3 years before moving it to Houston.

There's a good reason why nobody holds their conference tourneys in DFW. It's too big, and the tourney would get no coverage.
    Why would you be against it? I think it'll be great for Tech. There would be more Tech fans at a DFW event vs Nashville/Birmingham/Charlotte etc.

Champ Dowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond repute Dowty's Avatar

So because Dallas is too big, the SWAC moved to Houston? ...Makes perfect sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Dowty View Post
    So because Dallas is too big, the SWAC moved to Houston? ...Makes perfect sense.
    Cheaper rent in Houston for the SWAC.

Memphis would be the best neutral spot if the conference is REALLY looking for a central location. It's as easy to get from El Paso to Memphis as El Paso to DFW by air. El Paso fans don't drive to away games anyway.

Also, Clyde will by kegs of beer for all members of THE BBB while in Memphis.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Nobody goes there any more. It's too big.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Quote Originally Posted by Dowty View Post
    It moved to Houston because Houston wanted the SWAC and the Southland. DFW doesn't want these conference tourneys, and the conferences don't want DFW for basketball tourneys.

Houston doesn't have an NHL team. Houston isn't the heart of Big 12 country. Houston doesn't have a Top 25 MBB program.

+ Reply to Thread