+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tech Revenue

Big Dog counselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of light

Tech Revenue

Arkansas Democrat Gazette reports that Arkansas State had athletic revenue of $43.1 million in 2016. How does that compare to Tech's revenue?

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Re: Tech Revenue

Quote Originally Posted by counselingdawg View Post
    Arkansas Democrat Gazette reports that Arkansas State had athletic revenue of $43.1 million in 2016. How does that compare to Tech's revenue?
    That sounds like a misprint to me. That sounds awful high. Including LTAC donaitons, I would expect La Tech's athletic revenue to be about $21M to $24M annually, and I would expect ASU's to be about the same or maybe even a little less. Just a guess though.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

That's not their operating budget. They have to be adding capital campaign money and using other accounting tricks. In 2013 Arky State's athletic revenues were $16,281,038 and in 2014 was $20,151,793. It looks like they started really embellishing with their accounting in 2015.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

That story is working its way around along with the explanation. Arkansas State included the money they've raised in capital projects in the numbers they submitted to the NCAA. It's been a while since I've looked at the DOE filing procedures, but I suspect they missed a footnote.

They'll end up with the biggest budgetary percentage increase in the NCAA this year and the biggest decrease next year. That's if they aren't required to refile. Also, this is the type of mistake that makes state auditors - no matter what the state - to take notice. The question could easily be asked: What else are they piling into the budget to artificially inflate it?
    Last edited by The Historian; 02-13-2017 at 05:30 PM.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the story from the ADG:

But the biggest rise came thanks to ASU's spending on facilities. A total of $13.9 million, according to the NCAA financial reports, was spent on the Centennial Bank Stadium expansion ($11.2 million), upgrades to the Convocation Center ($1.9 million), the resurfacing of the track ($397,003) and the relocation of tennis courts ($528,743).

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2...fiscal-16-201/

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    That story is working its way around along with the explanation. Arkansas State included the money they've raised in capital projects in the numbers they submitted to the NCAA. It's been a while since I've looked at the DOE filing procedures, but I suspect they missed a footnote.

They'll end up with the biggest budgetary percentage increase in the NCAA this year and the biggest decrease next year.
    .....which would be the equivalent of us adding the combined $40M that we raised for the DAC project and the PressBox project in the last 2-3 years.

Like I've always said, Sunbelt schools would rob a homeless person if they thought it would further their cause. Remember when ULM claimed that playing the Univ of Arkansas in Little Rock's War Memorial Stadium was a home game for the Injuns, so they claimed it as their own home attendance? It was nothing more than a cheap way to "cheat the system" and meet the NCAA's required attendance figures. This is the same line of thought.

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

Student fees-5,027,521
    Direct institution support--8,071,017
    Other revenue--15,076,460
    That's how their main revenue is listed in the Demozette.The "other revenue" was listed at 437,648 in 2015. Under expenses they show "other expenses" to be 16,272,881 in 2016 and and 8,775,289 in 2015. It looks like this is money they borrowed on capital projects, mainly their pressbox and suite construction and an IPF. They did have a donation of 5,000,000 from a conway banker on the pressbox and suite constructioin which would also be included in the above "other revenue".

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    .....which would be the equivalent of us adding the combined $40M that we raised for the DAC project and the PressBox project in the last 2-3 years.

Like I've always said, Sunbelt schools would rob a homeless person if they thought it would further their cause.
    What's even more embarrassing is the fact Arkansas State probably included those numbers in the information forwarded to the Big 12 when they "applied" for membership last year.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...ase/54955804/1

The best way to use the data is to compare a school's expenses over time to see how they have changed. Because the categories are standardized, comparisons between schools are possible as well. The school's president or chancellor reviews the data before it's submitted to the NCAA, which also does a general audit of the data. In an effort to standardize reporting, NCAA staff members have worked with the National Association of College and University Business Officers to formulate definitions for each category. Still, some schools interpret the reporting rules slightly differently.

Other revenue: All other sources of revenue including game guarantees, support from third-parties guaranteed by the school such as TV income, housing allowances, camp income, etc.; tournament/bowl game revenues from conferences; endowments and investments; revenue from game programs, novelties, food or other concessions; and parking revenues and other sources.

So Arkansas State's President had to sign off on the numbers which the NCAA will almost certainly audit. Look at what the "Other Revenue" category is supposed to include vs. what Arkansas State included.

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

What is "direct institutional support"?

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DONW View Post
    What is "direct institutional support"?
    Athletic funding transferred from the school's general fund.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

I wish we could play them on a neutral field even when they are at their absolute best.

I spoke to an individual I've worked with in the past about ASU's filing. He sent me this link with a reference to these sections. The emphasis is on the word "operating":

ID: 18; Page 28
    Input any operating revenues received by athletics in the report year which cannot be classified into one of the stated categories.If the figure is greater than 10% of total revenues, please report the top three activities included in this category in the comments section

ID: 40; Page 35
    Input any operating expenses paid by athletics in the report year which cannot be classified into one of the stated categories,including:• Non-team travel (conferences, etc.).• Team banquets and awards.If the figure is greater than 10% of total expenses, please report the top three activities included in this category in the comments section.

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/fi...s_20160727.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    I spoke to an individual I've worked with in the past about ASU's filing. He sent me this link with a reference to these sections. The emphasis is on the word "operating":

ID: 18; Page 28
    Input any operating revenues received by athletics in the report year which cannot be classified into one of the stated categories.If the figure is greater than 10% of total revenues, please report the top three activities included in this category in the comments section

ID: 40; Page 35
    Input any operating expenses paid by athletics in the report year which cannot be classified into one of the stated categories,including:• Non-team travel (conferences, etc.).• Team banquets and awards.If the figure is greater than 10% of total expenses, please report the top three activities included in this category in the comments section.

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/fi...s_20160727.pdf
    Where are "Capital" expenditures and revenues/donations? I breezed thru it quickly, but I did not see Capital Expenditures or Revenues listed as a category. Maybe I overlooked it. But I believe ASU has mixed their "Capital" expenditures and revenues with their "Operating" expenditures and budget....especially if the document we're looking at doesn't require the two to be separated (which admittedly seems inconceivable). Again.....maybe I overlooked it. But if not, it's easy to see how a school would simply roll their "Capital" (or special projects) expenses and revenues into their "Operating" budget for a year or two in hopes of making themselves look bigger in the short term.

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Where are "Capital" expenditures and revenues/donations? I breezed thru it quickly, but I did not see Capital Expenditures or Revenues listed as a category. Maybe I overlooked it. But I believe ASU has mixed their "Capital" expenditures and revenues with their "Operating" expenditures and budget....especially if the document we're looking at doesn't require the two to be separated (which admittedly seems inconceivable). Again.....maybe I overlooked it. But if not, it's easy to see how a school would simply roll their "Capital" (or special projects) expenses and revenues into their "Operating" budget for a year or two in hopes of making themselves look bigger in the short term.
    As I understand it, the NCAA doesn't require schools to report capital expenditures or revenues, just operating expenditures and revenues. ASU's athletic department books will look different from what they report to the NCAA, which is done online in a dedicated system the NCAA has set up for just this purpose. In other words, the school's income statement - if they've raised capital for non-operating purposes - should differ from what's keyed into the system.

Can you imagine what Texas A&M's numbers would have looked like in 2014 and 2015 with the rebuild of Kyle Field if they had included those numbers.

+ Reply to Thread