+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2/22 UALR @ 6pm (Rescheduled)

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Re: 2/22 UALR @ 6pm (Rescheduled)

Quote Originally Posted by DogsWin View Post
    1-0 Tech after 5 innings. We aren't helping our pitchers at all by swinging at so many ugly pitches. It's like we're just lazily "going through the motions" batting.

Through 7 innings Tech trails 1-2. UALR hit a 2-run homerun. We've struck out 11 times vs a pitcher making his first start of the year (didn't pitch any of the 3 games UALR has lost).
    Their pitcher was good and causing the "lazy" looking swings. He got it several jams and pitched his way out. Would you say striking out 11 was laziness by our batters or quality pitching by the LR pitcher?

Big Dog TechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    Their pitcher was good and causing the "lazy" looking swings. He got it several jams and pitched his way out. Would you say striking out 11 was laziness by our batters or quality pitching by the LR pitcher?
    Coach Burroughs said there were scouts from MLB at Love Shack watching their pitcher. A left hander pitching 90+ and striking out 11 not bad.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TechFanno1 View Post
    Coach Burroughs said there were scouts from MLB at Love Shack watching their pitcher. A left hander pitching 90+ and striking out 11 not bad.
    I figured that's who he was watching. He got up and left when they pulled him.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

I felt in the early innings we let him off the hook by giving him free outs via the sacrifice...

Very well played ballgame, a classic pitchers duel, their #34 was the real deal and really kept our bats off guard with his command tonight

Hopefully Gladu is off the snide with his bomb tonite
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar

Really impressed with the crowd tonite -

Looked like a Friday night crowd and it was Wednesday for game that was supposed to be on Tuesday

Good mixture of season ticket holders and students, and probably 20 or so LR fans

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

I would say that swinging at breaking pitches nearly in the dirt were lazy swings. Go watch the replay on CUSA.TV of the first 6 innings.
    Cole Townsend pitched only 18 innings for UALR last year. For the year he had an 0-2 record, gave up 25 hits, 23 runs (22 of which were earned), walked 21 batters, 14 Ks, and had an ERA of 11.00. Batters averaged 0.362 vs Townsend. I think Burroughs may have been 'stretching it' a bit on any postgame pitcher praise. His stats were very good tonight, but we had a lot to do with that until Gladu's HR.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    I felt in the early innings we let him off the hook by giving him free outs via the sacrifice...

Very well played ballgame, a classic pitchers duel, their #34 was the real deal and really kept our bats off guard with his command tonight

Hopefully Gladu is off the snide with his bomb tonite
    Good win.

Now have we discussed that the sac bunt is the worst play in baseball?

Louisiana Tech 3rd - Skelton walked (3-1). Washam, Jor. walked (3-0); Skelton advanced to second. Ullrich grounded out to 1b unassisted, SAC, bunt (0-0); Washam, Jor. advanced to second; Skelton advanced to third. Lunceford struck out swinging (0-2). Diaz flied out to cf (1-1). 0 runs, 0 hits, 0 errors, 2 LOB.

Louisiana Tech 7th - Knight,C to c. Washam, Jon. walked (3-1). LeMoine,R to p for Townsend,C. Boggs reached on a throwing error by p, SAC, bunt (0-0); Washam, Jon. advanced to second. Skelton grounded out to p, SAC, bunt (1-0); Boggs advanced to second; Washam, Jon. advanced to third. Slayton,D to p for LeMoine,R. Washam, Jor. struck out looking (0-2). Ullrich grounded out to 2b (0-0). 0 runs, 0 hits, 1 error, 2 LOB.

3 sac bunts -> 4 runners LOB -> 0 runs

Those sac bunts may have lost us the game if not for Gladu's clutch 8th inning HR. We can't afford to give away outs like that.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

UAPB Game 1

Louisiana Tech 4th - Diaz, Brent walked (3-2). Daigle, Cody walked (3-1); Diaz, Brent advanced to second. WASHAM, Jona out at first 1b to 2b, SAC, bunt (0-0); Daigle, Cody advanced to second;Diaz, Brent advanced to third. BATES, Parke struck out swinging (2-2). SKELTON, Dal flied out to lf (0-0). 0 runs, 0 hits, 0 errors, 2 LOB.

1 sac bunt -> 2 runners LOB -> 0 runs

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    Good win.

Louisiana Tech 3rd - Skelton walked (3-1). Washam, Jor. walked (3-0); Skelton advanced to second. Ullrich grounded out to 1b unassisted, SAC, bunt (0-0); Washam, Jor. advanced to second; Skelton advanced to third. Lunceford struck out swinging (0-2). Diaz flied out to cf (1-1). 0 runs, 0 hits, 0 errors, 2 LOB.

Louisiana Tech 7th - Knight,C to c. Washam, Jon. walked (3-1). LeMoine,R to p for Townsend,C. Boggs reached on a throwing error by p, SAC, bunt (0-0); Washam, Jon. advanced to second. Skelton grounded out to p, SAC, bunt (1-0); Boggs advanced to second; Washam, Jon. advanced to third. Slayton,D to p for LeMoine,R. Washam, Jor. struck out looking (0-2). Ullrich grounded out to 2b (0-0). 0 runs, 0 hits, 1 error, 2 LOB.

Those sac bunts may have lost us the game if not for Gladu's clutch 8th inning HR. We can't afford to give away outs like that.
    I always wanted to go after a 3-0 pitch because most pictures throw it over the middle of the plate, but, I knew if I did the coach would jump me. They never throw you a curve on 3-0 either. I would let my good hitters go after it if I was a coach.

Big Dog RGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the rough

Good win.

I believe saber metrics agrees with you...a base runner is more valuable than an out.
    I personally agree with this simplest version of this theory.

Champ maverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond repute

Good win.

UAPB Game 1

Louisiana Tech 4th - Diaz, Brent walked (3-2). Daigle, Cody walked (3-1); Diaz, Brent advanced to second. WASHAM, Jona out at first 1b to 2b, SAC, bunt (0-0); Daigle, Cody advanced to second;Diaz, Brent advanced to third. BATES, Parke struck out swinging (2-2). SKELTON, Dal flied out to lf (0-0). 0 runs, 0 hits, 0 errors, 2 LOB.

1 sac bunt -> 2 runners LOB -> 0 runs
    K's, ground outs, and fly outs had nothing to do with runners LOB?

Champ skilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond repute skilldawg's Avatar

I would say that swinging at breaking pitches nearly in the dirt were lazy swings. Go watch the replay on CUSA.TV of the first 6 innings.
    Cole Townsend pitched only 18 innings for UALR last year. For the year he had an 0-2 record, gave up 25 hits, 23 runs (22 of which were earned), walked 21 batters, 14 Ks, and had an ERA of 11.00. Batters averaged 0.362 vs Townsend. I think Burroughs may have been 'stretching it' a bit on any postgame pitcher praise. His stats were very good tonight, but we had a lot to do with that until Gladu's HR.
    I don't think PawDawg needs to watch the replay. He saw it live sitting basically behind home plate. That kid's stuff was electric. Doesn't matter what he did last year. Really doesn't matter what he does the rest of the year. He was on last night.

You know better than that. A good breaking pitch is almost impossible to hit. His good pitches broke off into the dirt. Jordan Washam (our best) couldn't touch him after his first at bat.

Pretty sure he was coming off an injury last year. Pro scouts don't show up to watch average pitchers.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

You know better than that. A good breaking pitch is almost impossible to hit. His good pitches broke off into the dirt. Jordan Washam (our best) couldn't touch him after his first at bat.

Pretty sure he was coming off an injury last year. Pro scouts don't show up to watch average pitchers.
    When I was involved in the scouting business I would meet MLB scouts at high school baseball games. They were the experts, especially on the pitchers, and I would sit and listen to them discuss each player. There was one kid pitching that I didn't think very highly of. I had seen him pitch several times and he never impressed me. Then later in the season, while I was there scouting two other kids, the MLB scouts were raving about him. They saw POTENTIAL. His mechanics and what they said were major flaws in his delivery that could be corrected with proper coaching. But he had a "lively arm."

Point is, those MLB scouts know what to look for.

Quote Originally Posted by RGTech98 View Post
    I believe saber metrics agrees with you...a base runner is more valuable than an out.
    I personally agree with this simplest version of this theory.
    I boil it down to the simplest of terms -

When a pitcher has walked two straight hitters and there is no outs to start off an inning - MAKE HIM THROW STRIKES - don't give him a FREE OUT and a slight feeling of relief

+ Reply to Thread