+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 97 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Russia

Champ saltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your time saltydawg's Avatar

Re: Russia

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    Not if you didn't sell it. Besides the Dems tax and spend policies will eat it up now and then again when you die.
    And I guess you don't lose when the price goes down? Anyway, I'm waiting for Trump's misguided and wrong tax reform package to get passed by Congress before I sell.

"All roads lead to Putin" -- Thomas Jefferson

Champ saltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your time saltydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Oh, that. I have about $600K in stocks. Guess I did okay too in one day. But, that is "on paper" money. You can lose $50K in one day just as fast.

Real estate, salty, that's the ticket. It's real, you can touch it, and while it is true it is also subject to the whims of the market (value), they ain't making anymore land. So, it is as safe an investment as there is.

Was talking with my Mom the other day, and she remembered they (she and my Dad) bought "our" house in 1955 for a whopping $14,000. She sold that house in 2010 for $189,000. The house she built (had built) that same year on the Northshore she paid cash for $177,000. Now, just seven years later, houses on her street, very similar to hers, are selling for $210,000+.

But, one should be diversified. Stocks are good, yes. But, own other types of assets as well.

Disclaimer: I am NOT a personal financial professional. Consult a licensed advisor before making any investment decisions.
    D80, that's sound financial advice. Can't go wrong buying low and selling high in any asset class.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    Republicans are in power now and shouldn't be making excuses. If they can't get it done, it's on them.

If Republicans can't get it done, it's on them. (is there an echo in here?)
    Again, they don't control the Senate.

Champ maverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond repute

Republicans hold a majority of Senate seats. I can't help it if they're not your kind of Republicans.

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Oh, that. I have about $600K in stocks. Guess I did okay too in one day. But, that is "on paper" money. You can lose $50K in one day just as fast.

Real estate, salty, that's the ticket. It's real, you can touch it, and while it is true it is also subject to the whims of the market (value), they ain't making anymore land. So, it is as safe an investment as there is.

Was talking with my Mom the other day, and she remembered they (she and my Dad) bought "our" house in 1955 for a whopping $14,000. She sold that house in 2010 for $189,000. The house she built (had built) that same year on the Northshore she paid cash for $177,000. Now, just seven years later, houses on her street, very similar to hers, are selling for $210,000+.

But, one should be diversified. Stocks are good, yes. But, own other types of assets as well.

Disclaimer: I am NOT a personal financial professional. Consult a licensed advisor before making any investment decisions.
    The hardest part is the initial capital to do anything.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JuBru View Post
    The hardest part is the initial capital to do anything.
    Just start.

I think back just 37 years ago. I was renting an efficiency apartment at the Mid-City Hotel at Line and Jordan in Shreveport. ALL of my worldly belongings I could fit in my car...a big car, granted, a 1973 Impala. Big by today's standards. My salary that year was $16,500 (that was 1980). I had no investments, no savings. What little savings I did have I had to take out just to pay deposits and stuff. I lived paycheck to paycheck for the next couple of years. What I did do was open a 401K account with the company, but I only put in the minimum, 4% before tax, as I recall. They matched dollar for dollar, so effectively I had a 100% return on that investment. Now, 37 years later, that very 401K account has been rolled into an annuity which my kids/grandkids will inherit some day, because honestly, I don't need it.

I got married in 1985 and my wife was BIG into savings and investing. Really, she is the reason we have what we have today. She insisted on "paying ourselves first" via investments. In 1986 I was making $23,000 and she made all of $10,000 teaching at a private academy. Yet....here we are.

Just start investing.

Just start.

I think back just 37 years ago. I was renting an efficiency apartment at the Mid-City Hotel at Line and Jordan in Shreveport. ALL of my worldly belongings I could fit in my car...a big car, granted, a 1973 Impala. Big by today's standards. My salary that year was $16,500 (that was 1980). I had no investments, no savings. What little savings I did have I had to take out just to pay deposits and stuff. I lived paycheck to paycheck for the next couple of years. What I did do was open a 401K account with the company, but I only put in the minimum, 4% before tax, as I recall. They matched dollar for dollar, so effectively I had a 100% return on that investment. Now, 37 years later, that very 401K account has been rolled into an annuity which my kids/grandkids will inherit some day, because honestly, I don't need it.

I got married in 1985 and my wife was BIG into savings and investing. Really, she is the reason we have what we have today. She insisted on "paying ourselves first" via investments. In 1986 I was making $23,000 and she made all of $10,000 teaching at a private academy. Yet....here we are.

Just start investing.
    More good advice from D80. One of my better investments was buying I-Bonds starting around 1999. I bought when the fixed interest was from 3.5% to 1.25%. Coupled with the inflation kicker, they were paying between 3.5% to over 5% even when interest rate plunged to close to zero. The best thing was that the interest payments were tax deferred and compounded with the principle. I was buying the max amount back then at $60K a year. Now max amount is $10K.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

I was not big into Treasury bonds. I bought one bond per month from 1986 until 2000. My company set it up via payroll deduction and they matched us dollar for dollar. We bought $100 face value bonds, which I think one would pay $50 for, but I paid $25 and the company paid $25. I think that's how it works (worked). I don't really remember. Then they grow for 30 years and mature. My 1986 bonds have matured but I haven't done anything with 'em yet. Some of them are EEE. I'm talking about your run-of-the-mill US Savings Bonds. But most of them are EE. Some may be just E. It depended on the state of the economy when the bond was issued. We're not talking about a bunch of money. I have only 12 $100 bonds per year. Actually, I forgot I had them!

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...tm_medium=push
    Maybe we'll finally find out who hacked the DNC computers.

I was not big into Treasury bonds. I bought one bond per month from 1986 until 2000. My company set it up via payroll deduction and they matched us dollar for dollar. We bought $100 face value bonds, which I think one would pay $50 for, but I paid $25 and the company paid $25. I think that's how it works (worked). I don't really remember. Then they grow for 30 years and mature. My 1986 bonds have matured but I haven't done anything with 'em yet. Some of them are EEE. I'm talking about your run-of-the-mill US Savings Bonds. But most of them are EE. Some may be just E. It depended on the state of the economy when the bond was issued. We're not talking about a bunch of money. I have only 12 $100 bonds per year. Actually, I forgot I had them!
    Don't know if you know this or not but you can't cash Savings Bonds at banks anymore. Need to do it online.

Quote Originally Posted by saltydawg View Post
    Don't know if you know this or not but you can't cash Savings Bonds at banks anymore. Need to do it online.
    Can't? Or banks just don't want to fool with 'em? I did cash some Savings Bonds many years ago, it was some I had been given as b'day gifts as a kid, and I remember my banker moaning and groaning about it...but, she did it anyway.

Can't? Or banks just don't want to fool with 'em? I did cash some Savings Bonds many years ago, it was some I had been given as b'day gifts as a kid, and I remember my banker moaning and groaning about it...but, she did it anyway.
    Apparently, the banks were able to get Treasury to handle the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    Again, they don't control the Senate.
    Baloney. Republicans problems are the direct result of their very poor leadership skills, starting with Trump. Republicans have 52 seats in the Senate so get over it.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by saltydawg View Post
    Baloney. Republicans problems are the direct result of their very poor leadership skills, starting with Trump. Republicans have 52 seats in the Senate so get over it.
    Baloney. You can't lead a liberal who has a fear of facing the people who didn't elect her when she goes back home. You also can't lead a loser like McCain who has to lie to win his home state. It's really about 53-47 Liberals idiots over Republicans in the Senate.

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

+ Reply to Thread