View Poll Results: Should Tech accept a pay-for-play CBIT bid?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

22 30.56%
  • No

43 59.72%
  • Don't care

7 9.72%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Tech accept pay-for-play tourney bid?

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Should Tech accept pay-for-play tourney bid?

Quote Originally Posted by DogsWin View Post
    Use the $50K or whatever we're gonna spend buying into a crappy tournament to-
    1. UPGRADE OUR WEAK SCHEDULING NEXT YEAR and
    2. recruit players who can defend inside and out for three consecutive days vs decent competition.
    Best post in this thread.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

2. recruit players who can defend inside and out for three consecutive days vs decent competition.
    Agree with this.

IIRC the CBI is $25K to host the 1st round, $50K to host the 2nd round, and $75K to host the 3rd round and 4th rounds, and the CIT is $35K to host each round.

That money to host 1 round would pay full COA for our basketball team instead of partial COA. Paying to host two rounds is equivalent to paying full COA to both our MBB and WBB teams.

And how about Skip's contract we've been hearing is close to being done for 15 months now?

I think paying thousands and thousands of dollars to pay in a meaningless tourney against double-directional-hyphenated jucos that our fans won't show up to watch is a waste of our limited resources.

Dawg80 completely misses the point that you have to PAY-to-play. It's not about turning down an invitation. Our conference mates like UTEP and WKU turn down these tourneys every year. And we have been a Top 100 program for 5 years now. We are better than these. We've been to 3 NITs in 5 years. We don't have to pay to play in the postseason like ULM does.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Use $50K to recruit....

How? by putting money in their pocket, by hiring hookers?

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

And I didn't "completely miss the point that you have to pay to play." I stated the "pay-to-play" fact several times in my post(s). I know that. That's not the issue. The question is does extending the season have benefits for the team, specifically, the youngsters? Also, just please don't tell me it's "beneath us." Seems to me IT IS us!

Which....is very sad .

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

Agree! Upgrade our next years schedule and don't pay a penny more for this year. It is stupid to pay to play and there is no benefit to it, it is simply wasted money.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

We have to accept we have some kind of fundamental, philosophical problem with the inability to win end-season games, no matter how heavily we're favored.

I am 100% against pay-for-play for this team. On paper the extra practice time sounds good, but it's just an opportunity to lose to a nobody team and worsen the already bad taste in our mouths.

It's time to go all in on baseball.

Big Dog counselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of light

Maybe we should play basketball in the Southland. I think I'm joking, but not sure.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

I not want to pay to play, but to say this wasn't a good team is silly.
    It's time to close the doors to the Temple of Janus.

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

This team overachieved by coming in second in the conference, but, playing two more games won't help. Spend the money on recruiting guys that can shoot like the guys at Marshall.

Champ Dowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond repute Dowty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Use $50K to recruit....

How? by putting money in their pocket, by hiring hookers?
    In case you're unaware, it costs money to travel and stay in a hotel.

$50k could be used a lot more productively than paying to play a bunch of nobodies. Recruiting, COA, scheduling... Heck, if we lose an assistant coach for some reason, add some/all of that to whatever we were paying him to hire a better one.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DONW View Post
    Spend the money on recruiting guys that can shoot like the guys at Marshall.
    Guys who shoot 70% 3pt shots. Are there any? That was a luck fest yesterday that we got caught up in.

Spend it on baseball.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

I think we need to play just to say "x number years in a row of postseason play"

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sportdawg View Post
    I think we need to play just to say "x number years in a row of postseason play"
    Yes, that will work

Champ marketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond repute marketdawg's Avatar

If we were a senior-laden team and those guys had done all the right things off the court then I'd say send them to a tourney for a last chance to play together. This is a young team so I say no on the pay for play.
    “Towie Barclay of the Glen, Happy to the maids, But never to the men.”

Champ rockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond repute

I vote for "no". I'd rather put the money into TAC upgrades. It's getting rough in some areas. I have to hear it from my wife every home game. Young team. Brand new lineup next year.

+ Reply to Thread