+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SB Nation Preview

Champ Dowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond repute Dowty's Avatar

Re: SB Nation Preview

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    The predictions are based on his statistical model and rankings. This isn't like the USA Today one where it's purely subjective. Individually, we have a better than 50% chance (according to the pre-season rankings) in 9 games. I'm not really sure where the prediction in the capsule box come from.
    I wondered where the 7-5 prediction came from too, given the 50%+ chance in 9 games. I'd say that assuming we don't have major injury problems, 7-5 should be our floor.

Champ Bearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by BlindDog View Post
    I was sure I read he was predicting us to go 7-5?
    As earlier posted, HD wasn't wrong, 9 out of 12 games have a win probability of 51 or more (i.e. we should win 9), but the writer believes we will possibly drop 2 so he predicted we would have 7-5.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by revf View Post
    HogDawg didn't read the article. The writer is predicting a 7-5 season, our ranking to be 82, and our offense ranking to drop considerably.

He is predicting loses to Mississippi State, South Carolina, WKU, USM, and one more (most likely UTSA).

Fair assessment.
    Geeeezus revf......here is what the writer posted. We are "favored" in 9 games according to this:

2017 Schedule & Projection Factors

Date Opponent Proj. S&P+ Rk Proj. Margin Win Probability
    2-Sep Northwestern State NR 36.5 98%
    9-Sep Mississippi State 30 -11.5 25%
    16-Sep at Western Kentucky 51 -12.0 24%
    23-Sep at South Carolina 36 -14.7 20%
    30-Sep South Alabama 108 8.4 69%
    7-Oct at UAB 130 20.3 88%
    21-Oct Southern Miss 84 2.8 56%
    28-Oct at Rice 120 6.4 64%
    4-Nov North Texas 106 8.2 68%
    11-Nov Florida Atlantic 99 6.1 64%
    18-Nov at UTEP 126 8.9 70%
    25-Nov UTSA 91 4.3 60%

Projected S&P+ Rk 82
    Proj. Off. / Def. Rk 48 / 114
    Projected wins 7.1
    Five-Year S&P+ Rk 2.8 (59)
    2- and 5-Year Recruiting Rk 89 / 86
    2016 TO Margin / Adj. TO Margin* 1 / -3.3
    2016 TO Luck/Game +1.5
    Returning Production (Off. / Def.) 43% (26%, 59%)
    2016 Second-order wins (difference) 9.6 (-0.6)

This season could go in quite a few different directions. It’s easy to assume regression for the offense and progress for the defense, but the amount of each could make the difference between a six-win season and a long-awaited Conference USA title.
    I’m optimistic. The defense finally has a little continuity, and if Ephraim Kitchen is able to stay on the field, the secondary should boast stability. And while it will be hard to maintain last year’s offensive pace, I would be surprised if the Tech offense fell out of the Off. S&P+ top 40.
    The schedule takes shape like last year’s. With games against Mississippi State and South Carolina sandwiching a trip to WKU, it’s possible that even a strong Tech team begins 1-3. But even while projecting the Bulldogs a pessimistic 82nd overall, S&P+ forecasts them as favorites in each of their final eight games. The top two other C-USA West contenders — Southern Miss (October 21), UTSA (November 25) — have to come to Ruston.
    C-USA is getting its act together. If Holtz is going to steal his moment, it might have to come in 2017 or 2018, and I think his odds are solid.

Team preview stats

All preview data to date.

Yes he says 7.1 wins at the bottom, but I don't even know how he gets there. He picks LA Tech's "WIN probability" to be 56% against USM and 60% against UTSA. How can those be considered losses?

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

7.1 is what you get when you add all the W% together. It's a quick and dirty way to guess a win total based on the variation in percentages.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

He goes in reverse order of predicted conference ranking, we were the second to last preview for CUSA (WKU was last).

Here is the conference summary.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foot...louisiana-tech

+ Reply to Thread