+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Umpires vs. UL-Lafayette - all Cajun grads

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Re: Umpires vs. UL-Lafayette - all Cajun grads

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor View Post
    The catcher and the plate umpire have to be on the same page. I rely on that catcher to protect me. I rely on that catcher to catch the baseball and give me a good look of where it crossed and ended up. A catcher that can't do those simple things, or argues balls and strikes, is doing his pitcher no favors. He's not going to get the benefit of the doubt on any close pitch.
    Understand what you're saying, but...

There is no "same page". His job is to catch/stop the ball, my job is to judge where the ball crossed the plate, NOT where the catcher caught it. Framing the ball is pointless. I don't watch the mitt. Now, if a catcher attempts to show up the umpire and frame a pitch for multiple seconds, then the next close pitch is likely going to be called a ball and I will SHOUT "BALL!!" So everyone knows. (Get over it Clyde... it's reality at all levels)

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

I'm volunteering to be the homeplate umpire for our game in Lafayette. I'll be completely unbias.

Champ Bearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by DONW View Post
    I'm volunteering to be the homeplate umpire for our game in Lafayette. I'll be completely unbias.
    You'll probably be less biased, and do a better job, than theirs

Champ stodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by DJDAWG View Post
    "benefit of the doubt on any close pitch"? How do you give "benefit of the doubt" for either pitcher? That would be bias.

If you are an ump and have a doubt about a pitch before you make the call, then you need to start looking for another profession. You define your strike zone and stick with it, to the best of your ability.

If you are an ump and give one pitcher the benefit of the doubt on close pitches, then you are problem and need to quit immediately.

No matter how the catcher, pitcher, batter, coach or any player are acting toward you, you owe it to your profession and yourself to continue to make the best calls you can.
    If you can't then you need to stop ump'ing.
    I understand and agree with what you are saying. At the same time, a pitcher can build a reputation of having good control. Greg Maddux pitched his way into the MLB HOF living off the outside corner and getting the strike call. Hitters have to adjust to be successful.

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stodgdog View Post
    I understand and agree with what you are saying. At the same time, a pitcher can build a reputation of having good control. Greg Maddux pitched his way into the MLB HOF living off the outside corner and getting the strike call. Hitters have to adjust to be successful.
    That would be Tom Glavine. He consistently got an extra 3-4 inch strike zone on the outside.

Champ stodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by SicemDawgz View Post
    That would be Tom Glavine. He consistently got an extra 3-4 inch strike zone on the outside.
    You are right, Glavine was another. The Braves had great starters during that time. How the Cubs let Maddux leave as a free agent during the off season after the year he won his first Cy Young is unbelievable. He wanted to stay in Chicago, but the Cubs drug their feet in re-signing him. I think he went on to win 3 more as a Brave.

Champ faninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond repute faninmonroe's Avatar

I know a guy that calls for CUSA the Big12 and will call some Sunbelt and SEC - he could care who wins or loses....he wants to do his job without upsetting the flow of the game.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde View Post

Doc and Prof
    Are you kidding? Two of the most unreasonable, unknowing people on the internet. And they are umpires? Makes perfect sense.

You can't make this stuff up.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SicemDawgz View Post
    He consistently got an extra 3-4 inch
    twss

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    3rd base ump was Colby Vidrine... another ULL grad.
    The superfecta!!!

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by faninmonroe View Post
    I know a guy that calls for CUSA the Big12 and will call some Sunbelt and SEC - he could care who wins or loses....he wants to do his job without upsetting the flow of the game.
    Im sure its hard. Im not against alumnus umps/refs in general, but I would never want to call a Tech game because I know I couldnt be fair.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

We've had some great umps who were LaTech grads and former baseball players over the years.

It's a great profession or part time profession. It's also a shame some can be corrupted by hate like the home plate ump on Wednesday night. The other guys were fine.

Varsity Bulldog cajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your time cajunfanatico's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    We've had some great umps who were LaTech grads and former baseball players over the years.

It's a great profession or part time profession. It's also a shame some can be corrupted by hate like the home plate ump on Wednesday night. The other guys were fine.
    Good grief, you guys are still whining about the umps today? Imagine the meltdown if you'd lost. LOL

Champ maverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    We've had some great umps who were LaTech grads and former baseball players over the years. (1)

It's a great profession or part time profession. It's also a shame some can be corrupted by hate like the home plate ump on Wednesday night (2). The other guys were fine.
    (1) Some who were so intent on demonstrating their objectivity, that they were biased against us. (which I'd rather see, than biased for us)

(2) That young man lacked a basic philosophical predisposition necessary for umpires - objectivity. I hope he has an umpiring mentor who can help him learn from it (and that he doesn't call our game in Lafayette!).

Champ maverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by cajunfanatico View Post
    Good grief, you guys are still whining about the umps today? Imagine the meltdown if you'd lost. LOL
    Rumor has it, said "meltdown if you'd lost" can be found on raginpagin.com.

(I can't see it because of a "deceptive website warning.") That speaks volumes.

+ Reply to Thread