+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thank a Vietnam Vet today.

Champ Amos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond repute

Thank a Vietnam Vet today.

Today is National Vietnam War Veterans Day. On March 29, 1973, the last American to serve in the war came home. If any of you are out there, thank you for your service, and welcome home! Some of us got spit on and called baby killers for our service back then.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Thank a Vietnam Vet today.

I was almost 5 years old on March 29, 1973, and I remember that day well. Thanks for all who sacrificed and FU to the politicians who screwed it up.

Champ Amos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde View Post
    I was almost 5 years old on March 29, 1973, and I remember that day well. Thanks for all who sacrificed and FU to the politicians who screwed it up.
    ...and a big FU to Hanoi Jane!! I happened to be in the Gulf of Tonkin when she went to Hanoi and betrayed her country.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Amos Moses View Post
    Today is National Vietnam War Veterans Day. On March 29, 1973, the last American to serve in the war came home. If any of you are out there, thank you for your service, and welcome home! Some of us got spit on and called baby killers for our service back then.
    Thanks, but we cant mention Vietnam around my dad.

He gets this far off look, then pours himself two fingers of the Irish and sits on the back porch staring into the woods. Usually doesn't speak again for 1-2 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    Thanks, but we cant mention Vietnam around my dad.

He gets this far off look, then pours himself two fingers of the Irish and sits on the back porch staring into the woods. Usually doesn't speak again for 1-2 hours.
    I can identify. Make it a point to 1. pour that Irish for him and 2. Give him all the space he needs.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Thanks for your service Amos and others who read here.

I had/have older friends who served. Some turned out fine. Some didn't.

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

I've always admired you guys that went and did the deal. You're all hero's in my book. Always were. Always will be.

Thank you for your service!

Champ WWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond repute WWDog's Avatar

I came in just after that. I knew three that were in the Hanoi Hilton. One would fly off the handle in a split second. The second was a guy that was very hard to pin down. He was always bumming cigarettes and always seemed to have something up his sleeve. My instructor pulled me aside shortly after I was mission ready and played me a tape with the sound of signals produced by the radar warning receiver. He asked me what was out there based on what was playing. I immediately picked out the Mig locked on to that aircraft. The instructor said I passed and would not end up like the second person. The third guy was one of the nicest guys I have ever met who commands all my respect. The point is that they all went through hell and some fared better than others but they ALL paid a price that I can't imagine being shot down over the north and imprisoned with daily torture. I respect each and would take a berating form the first without a contrary word back, go to the store and buy cigarettes for the second guy, and proudly call the third my friend and hero.

Thank all of you for your service as you each gave in some way most of us can't fathom.
    WWDog
    La Tech
    Region and hyphen free since 1894!
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

I know two gentlemen who were being held at the Hua Lo "Hilton" when Jane made her visit. If you want to see one of them turn from nice guy to completely pissed off, just say her name. Both of the POWs I know (I know one of them much better than the other) and two others that I have met were able to move on with life and they turned out to be fine men, but it took some time to put their bitterness behind them.

I was unaware that today was "Thank a Vietnam Vet Day," but I will thank them tomorrow.

Thanks, Amos

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

I can identify. Make it a point to 1. pour that Irish for him and 2. Give him all the space he needs.
    Dad loves history and esp. military history. He'll rattle on all day about Civil War, WWII, and even Korea. But Vietnam is off limits.

Mom says he was in a USAF medical unit, and that he treated American servicemen, injured civilians, and even VC. But that's all he's ever told any of us.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

I guess when we live through historic events during our impressionable years, those years when we are age 7 to about 15 or so, it tends to "leave a mark" on our psyche. For me, two such events were the space program, landing on the moon, and the Vietnam War. I was 17 when the war officially ended in 1975.

A neighbor, across the street, was killed in Nam. His name, his nickname, was "Chickie." I have no idea how he got such a nickname. I just remember the swirl of activity at his house. How my parents spent a lot of time across the street comforting his parents for many months. That was about 1967 or so. I was 9.

But, what really left an emotional scar on me was when Brian M. was killed in Nam. That was in 1971. I was playing junior high football with Mark M. and his older brother, Brian, was a big time high school QB who would appear a lot in the sports' section of the paper. He was a celebrity to us. A super star. He would come to pick up Mark after our practices and sometimes throw the ball with us. He even gave us a pep talk before we played for the East Bank championship. He was also being heavily recruited by "everyone." I don't know if he was drafted, or volunteered, but he ended up in the army, in Nam, and it wasn't long we got word he had been killed. Mark was never the same. He had been an easy-going, smiling young man. After that, he would hardly speak. Just sat in class, kind of staring....

I know a lot of Vietnam vets. Very good friends with many of 'em. Most of them speak openly about their experience there. Most PROUDLY pronounce they have no personal issues, or any regrets for having served their country. Whatever the political ramifications were, and are, re: Vietnam, they say, it has no effect on how they view themselves and their fellow vets. We were soldiers, they say, and we did our duty. It is good they have such a healthy perspective on their service.

A big THANKS to all Vietnam War Vets.

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    I guess when we live through historic events during our impressionable years, those years when we are age 7 to about 15 or so, it tends to "leave a mark" on our psyche. For me, two such events were the space program, landing on the moon, and the Vietnam War. I was 17 when the war officially ended in 1975.

A neighbor, across the street, was killed in Nam. His name, his nickname, was "Chickie." I have no idea how he got such a nickname. I just remember the swirl of activity at his house. How my parents spent a lot of time across the street comforting his parents for many months. That was about 1967 or so. I was 9.

But, what really left an emotional scar on me was when Brian M. was killed in Nam. That was in 1971. I was playing junior high football with Mark M. and his older brother, Brian, was a big time high school QB who would appear a lot in the sports' section of the paper. He was a celebrity to us. A super star. He would come to pick up Mark after our practices and sometimes throw the ball with us. He even gave us a pep talk before we played for the East Bank championship. He was also being heavily recruited by "everyone." I don't know if he was drafted, or volunteered, but he ended up in the army, in Nam, and it wasn't long we got word he had been killed. Mark was never the same. He had been an easy-going, smiling young man. After that, he would hardly speak. Just sat in class, kind of staring....

I know a lot of Vietnam vets. Very good friends with many of 'em. Most of them speak openly about their experience there. Most PROUDLY pronounce they have no personal issues, or any regrets for having served their country. Whatever the political ramifications were, and are, re: Vietnam, they say, it has no effect on how they view themselves and their fellow vets. We were soldiers, they say, and we did our duty. It is good they have such a healthy perspective on their service.

A big THANKS to all Vietnam War Vets.
    I may have told this on BBB before, but I had a very good friend at Tech from Catahoula Parish who was killed in Vietnam. He and I went to the post office when it was in Keeny Hall one day, and he had a flyer in his mail box to join the Army. We got them all the time back then. This was in 1967, I believe. He told me he was about to run out of money for school, and probably would check out joining the Army. He did, and became a medic. In 1969, he perished trying to get to a wounded soldier. He was awarded the Silver Star posthumously.

Champ BhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond repute

I may have told this on BBB before, but I had a very good friend at Tech from Catahoula Parish who was killed in Vietnam. He and I went to the post office when it was in Keeny Hall one day, and he had a flyer in his mail box to join the Army. We got them all the time back then. This was in 1967, I believe. He told me he was about to run out of money for school, and probably would check out joining the Army. He did, and became a medic. In 1969, he perished trying to get to a wounded soldier. He was awarded the Silver Star posthumously.
    Do you remember who that was? Catahoula parish lost between 5-7 young men to the Vietnam war, being as small a community as it was, we knew most everyone who did not return or at least were antiquated with them or their family. The reason I ask is because one of those men was my first cousin and a couple of the others parents were friends with my parents.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BhadDawg View Post
    Do you remember who that was? Catahoula parish lost between 5-7 young men to the Vietnam war, being as small a community as it was, we knew most everyone who did not return or at least were antiquated with them or their family. The reason I ask is because one of those men was my first cousin and a couple of the others parents were friends with my parents.
    Here is a list of Louisiana KIAs by town. (Harrisonburg 1 and Jonesville 5)

I only knew of one from Richland Parish, but found 3 here.

http://www.virtualwall.org/istate/istatla.htm

Big Dog Dawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to behold Dawgbert's Avatar

I was not spat on probably because we were told when we arrived back in the world that if we had civilian clothing it would be best if we changed out of our uniform, the one I was proud to wear. I did change and had no problem. I went to college for the first year out of state. I was in the cafeteria one day and a friend introduced me to folks sitting around a large round table. When he said I had just returned from Vietnam everyone got up and walked away. That stings when you are 21 and still stings today. I shut my mouth for around 45 years never mentioning I had served. My first wife knew only that I had served. My second and current wife retired as an O5 and is now a social worker. She understands what it means to serve. I was finally able to get a lot off my shoulders with her help. It was hard keeping it in all those years not being appreciated. A huge thank you to all who served and are now serving their country. Times sure have changed.

+ Reply to Thread