+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Major Severe weather outbreak unfolding in north Louisiana

Champ weunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud of weunice's Avatar

Major Severe weather outbreak unfolding in north Louisiana

Make a point to be informed ... and have a way to get warnings. The watch just issued for N. LA has 95% probs of 2+ tornadoes and 95% probs for strong to violent tornadoes.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Re: Major Severe weather outbreak unfolding in north Louisiana

I've always been fascinated by weather. Never seen anything like we are witnessing in NE La.

Champ weunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud of weunice's Avatar

And today I am a ULM fan. Their dual-pol radar is the only hope we have of any decent information in the radar hole in NE Louisiana. They have confirmed multiple tornadoes today.

I took the warning, watch and SPC boxes off this image from my website. Every red icon that is slightly transparent is a radar confirmed tornado. The black ones are confirmed large tornadoes and the ones with the circles around them and are white in the middle are tornado emergencies (confirmed tornado moving into a populated area). The brighter red tornado icons are LSR's from the national weather service and the white ones with no fill are spotter network confirmed tornadoes (storm chasers)

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by weunice View Post
    And today I am a ULM fan. Their dual-pol radar is the only hope we have of any decent information in the radar hole in NE Louisiana. They have confirmed multiple tornadoes today.

I took the warning, watch and SPC boxes off this image from my website. Every red icon that is slightly transparent is a radar confirmed tornado. The black ones are confirmed large tornadoes and the ones with the circles around them and are white in the middle are tornado emergencies (confirmed tornado moving into a populated area). The brighter red tornado icons are LSR's from the national weather service and the white ones with no fill are spotter network confirmed tornadoes (storm chasers)

You ever seen anything like this in our region?

I know we are not out of the woods yet, but seems like it could have been so much worse.

I haven't personally but the most tornado prone spot in Louisiana is Barksdale AFB. North Louisiana is in an area that falls between traditional tornado alley and Dixie alley. There has been an F5 in Louisiana that killed an entire large family (I think it was a set of parents and 8 kids) near a place called Joes Bayou in 1971 near Delhi. That tornado crossed the Mississippi and killed 47 people. Other violent tornadoes have happened in north Louisiana as well. In fact one of the most notable tornadoes in US history started near Ferriday back in 1840 and killed 317 people mostly on the Mississippi river as it moved into Natchez MS. Also the Yazoo City tornado a few years back actually touched down in Louisiana before crossing almost the entire state of Mississippi (149.25 miles on the ground).

And yes .. this could have been worse to this point (you are right, it isn't over --- it only takes ONE). The parameters were/are in place obviously but the details are almost impossible to iron out until shortly before and during the event.

I haven't personally but the most tornado prone spot in Louisiana is Barksdale AFB. North Louisiana is in an area that falls between traditional tornado alley and Dixie alley. There has been an F5 in Louisiana that killed an entire large family (I think it was a set of parents and 8 kids) near a place called Joes Bayou in 1971 near Delhi. That tornado crossed the Mississippi and killed 47 people. Other violent tornadoes have happened in north Louisiana as well. In fact one of the most notable tornadoes in US history started near Ferriday back in 1840 and killed 317 people mostly on the Mississippi river as it moved into Natchez MS. Also the Yazoo City tornado a few years back actually touched down in Louisiana before crossing almost the entire state of Mississippi (149.25 miles on the ground).
    I remember the Joe's Bayou Tornado in '71. I was 12. I can remember riding by the place on Hwy 80 where the family lived. That may have been the event that sparked my fascination with weather. That's the same stretch of Hwy 80 that lead the nation in auto fatalities for several years just before 1-20 was completed.

WOW. That storm was before I was born (I was born in 73). I grew up in South Louisiana but I remember riding by a storm on I-20 with a rapidly rotating wall cloud that had produced a killer tornado about 15 minutes before I saw it. I bet my time in Ruston has a lot to do with why I am more of a severe weather history buff than a hurricane history buff. Don't get me wrong, I know a good bit about most of the significant hurricanes that have hit the gulf coast but when it comes to significant tornadoes in Louisiana my brain has a LOT of information stored -- The 1908 tornado that hit Amite LA and Purvis MS is of particular interest to me because 2 mile wide wedges don't happen this far south, it started less than 10 miles from my current home and my grandmother was living in Amite when it happened. It was also one of the deadliest tornadoes in US history.

Saw on Twitter that one of the storms today in NE LA was generating debris 25,000 ft in the air. This is often indicative of violent tornado motion.

Saw on Twitter that one of the storms today in NE LA was generating debris 25,000 ft in the air. This is often indicative of violent tornado motion.
    I saw something similar. It was an intense afternoon for me. Although the tornado warnings were never in Ouachita Parish, it looked like may parents just south of Delhi would be in the path of the first "sighted" tornado that was in Richland/Franklin...then there were others after that one we had to sweat out.

It sounds like everyone is OK with you and yours ... that is a very good thing. This image shows the radar indicated tornado and the debris falling from the sky. The second image is one showing debris to 25k ft.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Weather is beautiful and terrifying. The fact that literally the only thing we can do is get out of the way...and sometimes not even that.

We had a scare here in Fayetteville - I watched the tornado dissapate just a few miles from me (never touched ground thankfully), but I could see it from my front door.

Very thankful the damage wasn't worse. Praying it stays that way.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

My family and I were driving back from New Orleans yesterday and we went through Alexandria. We actually stopped there to let a major line pass through while we ate supper. It was crazy. I grew up there, but I don't recall a tornado causing the sort of damage that yesterday caused in all my years growing up there. It was a crazy system.

It was crazy indeed. The storm in Alexandria actually cycled near the city and there was an indication that both tornadoes were on the ground at the same time for a bit (per spotter reports).

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Sad for the lives which were lost in the Lafayette area yesterday, but thankful that the storm (which looked B-A-D) did not do even more damage and take even more lives.
    Good old Memorial Gym

+ Reply to Thread