+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lane Burroughs

Puppy TB36 is on top of his/her gameTB36 is on top of his/her gameTB36 is on top of his/her gameTB36 is on top of his/her gameTB36 is on top of his/her gameTB36 is on top of his/her gameTB36 is on top of his/her gameTB36 is on top of his/her gameTB36 is on top of his/her gameTB36 is on top of his/her gameTB36 is on top of his/her game TB36's Avatar

Re: Lane Burroughs

Quote Originally Posted by DJDAWG View Post
    Then what good is a coach, Head or Pitching? Why are coaches hired and fired if it is just the player not performing?
    A coach does a lot of things, but is judge mainly on one thing, wins. I don't have time or care enough to type out the things that a coach does aside from throwing BP and sitting in the dugout.

Coaches can't make kids focus, work hard and so on and so fourth. Baseball is a grind, especially when you have class. Not everyone of those guys is capable of showing up to the park every day with 100% focus, ready to compete their tails off.

I'm not saying he should not be fired or that he should have been the guy hired, but at this point I don't think it was a bad hire. He took over a complete dumpster fire at NSU fwiw.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Once you make a hire you have to give the guy a chance to prove himself one way or another.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Champ rabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond repute

Well, this season did start "one way" and is headed "or another" if the coach doesn't figure out how to get the team focused.

Varsity Bulldog techdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud of techdawg28's Avatar

FWIW, yes he was 113-113 at NSU, but the majority of those losses came in his first season. After that, 3 straight years that were much better than that first one. I tend to believe you can't judge a coach on his first season. So let's slow down the "fire Lane" talk for now.

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

When/if our pitching staff finds itself we'll be fine. We play solid in the field. We generate a lot of runs, even for the number of men left on base we've had. I've seen nothing that makes me think Burroughs isn't a good coach. Way better than Simoneaux

Champ Bulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant future Bulldog Tom's Avatar

I read this thread when I woke up this morning. Have we fired Burroughs yet? I mean we have given the guy three conference series and he hasn't gotten the job done! We aren't thinking about keeping this guy the whole season are we?

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Dawg80 may be on to something. Burroughs may not make it. Maybe this job was too big for him. This team is clearly going in the wrong direction. That HAS to come back to the leadership.

- I've noticed a lot of Tech fans in this thread accepting these poor performances with a "well, that's just baseball", or "we didn't hit the ball well last night. It happens".

- Or how about the guy in post #16 that says "Coaches can't make kids focus, work hard and so on and so fourth. Baseball is a grind, especially when you have class. Not everyone of those guys is capable of showing up to the park every day with 100% focus, ready to compete their tails off."

SAY WHAT? LOL! Did I just read that correctly? QUICK! Someone please tell all the GOOD baseball teams playing NCAA baseball that Baseball is a grind, especially when you have to go to class. Poor babies......they have to go to class.

Seriously people?

Yes, baseball is 62 games, so it is a longer season. But most of you wouldn't be near as "accepting" if several of Konkol's boys were only shooting 30% from the free throw line, or if a couple of Skip's prized WR's were fumbling 4 times every game. Nope.....most of you would be ready to scalp the head coach.

I'm not here to recommend that Burroughs be scalped. However, I do believe he should be held to the same standard that we expect from our other head coaches. Yes, baseball is a little different. But not THAT much different. It's still about getting 18-22 year old kids to perform the sport they love at a high level. Since Burroughs inherited a senior laden team with a strong history of success, I would suggest that he deserves to feel a little heat.

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

I've been waiting on this thread to appear, and alas it's here. I think it's to early to get a feel for if he was the right hire or not. However, if next years team is plagued by the same problems as this year, I think we should cut our losses. I'm still scratching my head on how such a hot team could fall so flat on their face.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SicemDawgz View Post
    I'm still scratching my head on how such a hot team could fall so flat on their face.
    Pitching

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    In four complete seasons at NSU he was 113-113 with zero post season appearances. I mentioned this fact when he was hired. He was 16-40 in his first season there, thus 97-73 in the last three. His best year was 2015, 31-23 overall and 20-8 in the SLC, good enough to finish 2nd. He is, AT BEST, a mediocre coach. Do we want a mediocre coach?

I think we should cut bait now, and start the search for a real baseball coach.
    Lane mentioned when he was hired that this was the first job he'd taken where he wouldn't be in an immediate rebuilding mode. He's done a good job of taking programs in the dumps and making them competitive again. Northwestern State was absolutely terrible when J.P. Davis was fired. That's why Lane's first season in Natchitoches was so awful. He had to rebuild that program from nothing. I wondered how Lane would handle being able to take a program on solid footing and trying to make it great.
    Last edited by theprofessor; 04-07-2017 at 07:57 AM.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post

Yes, baseball is 62 games, so it is a longer season. But most of you wouldn't be near as "accepting" if several of Konkol's boys were only shooting 30% from the free throw line, or if a couple of Skip's prized WR's were fumbling 4 times every game. Nope.....most of you would be ready to scalp the head coach.
    A basketball and football analogy applied to baseball...brilliant.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Next coach we hire I think we ought to fire them before the first game. We could be a trendsetter.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    Pitching
    That's an incomplete answer.

How does Austin Harrison pitch 5 innings against AR giving up only 3 hits and 1 run, then pitch a scoreless inning against MS State suddenly not be able to get through 2 innings without being shelled. And not just once, but multiple times.

Why is Casey Sutton now so ineffective when arguably he was our best pitcher at the end of last year, and had a strong outing against MS State this year?

Why has Kent Hasler regressed since earlier in the year?

Do the coaches know why? I haven't heard any explanations or what is being done to correct the issues. I have my suspicions about what some of the issues are, but then I'm not a college baseball coach either.

Quote Originally Posted by glm47 View Post
    That's an incomplete answer.

How does Austin Harrison pitch 5 innings against AR giving up only 3 hits and 1 run, then pitch a scoreless inning against MS State suddenly not be able to get through 2 innings without being shelled. And not just once, but multiple times.

Why is Casey Sutton now so ineffective when arguably he was our best pitcher at the end of last year, and had a strong outing against MS State this year?

Why has Kent Hasler regressed since earlier in the year?

Do the coaches know why? I haven't heard any explanations or what is being done to correct the issues. I have my suspicions about what some of the issues are, but then I'm not a college baseball coach either.

IDK. In addition to poor pitching we are leaving them in too long when it becomes obvious they are not on. Giving up the additional run or 2 seems to have cost us in some of the losses. This seemed to start during the USM series in the 5-2 loss.

Champ revf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond repute revf's Avatar

We lost 3 good pitchers to chasing an MLB dream last year. I wish that they had stayed because I think MLB is a pipe dream for all but the best of the best. There was going to be some drop off this year.

Pitchers have slumps. Even aces have slumps. Jon Lester had a terrible last year for the Red Sox, now he's the Cub's ace.

Slumps are difficult to diagnose and even more difficult to work out of. I'm certainly not calling for Lane's head his first year. Our primary focus should be on winning our weekend series. At least two out of three.

BTW no one has mentioned how often we have been affected by double headers this year because of weather. It is extremely difficult to win BOTH games of a doubleheader. If we lose the Friday night game and have to play a double header it becomes an uphill battle.

+ Reply to Thread