+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lane Burroughs

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Re: Lane Burroughs

Quote Originally Posted by revf View Post

BTW no one has mentioned how often we have been affected by double headers this year because of weather. It is extremely difficult to win BOTH games of a doubleheader. If we lose the Friday night game and have to play a double header it becomes an uphill battle.
    Great point. Yes, I've thought about it. Having two conference double headers is almost a guarantee of two conference losses.

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Dawg80 may be on to something. Burroughs may not make it. Maybe this job was too big for him. This team is clearly going in the wrong direction. That HAS to come back to the leadership.

- I've noticed a lot of Tech fans in this thread accepting these poor performances with a "well, that's just baseball", or "we didn't hit the ball well last night. It happens".

- Or how about the guy in post #16 that says "Coaches can't make kids focus, work hard and so on and so fourth. Baseball is a grind, especially when you have class. Not everyone of those guys is capable of showing up to the park every day with 100% focus, ready to compete their tails off."

SAY WHAT? LOL! Did I just read that correctly? QUICK! Someone please tell all the GOOD baseball teams playing NCAA baseball that Baseball is a grind, especially when you have to go to class. Poor babies......they have to go to class.

Seriously people?

Yes, baseball is 62 games, so it is a longer season. But most of you wouldn't be near as "accepting" if several of Konkol's boys were only shooting 30% from the free throw line, or if a couple of Skip's prized WR's were fumbling 4 times every game. Nope.....most of you would be ready to scalp the head coach.

I'm not here to recommend that Burroughs be scalped. However, I do believe he should be held to the same standard that we expect from our other head coaches. Yes, baseball is a little different. But not THAT much different. It's still about getting 18-22 year old kids to perform the sport they love at a high level. Since Burroughs inherited a senior laden team with a strong history of success, I would suggest that he deserves to feel a little heat.
    ...sounds like we need to score more points!
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CARTEK View Post
    ...sounds like we need to score more points!
    Yep, and all our best hits are landing out of bounds.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Varsity Bulldog ETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of light ETxBullDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by revf View Post
    BTW no one has mentioned how often we have been affected by double headers this year because of weather. It is extremely difficult to win BOTH games of a doubleheader. If we lose the Friday night game and have to play a double header it becomes an uphill battle.
    Same goes for the opponent, we need to start winning some of the battles and soon or we will have a season lost....
    Team has seemed flat, pitching unimpressive (except Harris), hitting streaky since the big ULaLa win!

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Just to re-emphasize my original point...there was nothing in Burroughs' resume' to make someone think he was some "great" coach waiting for his chance. His best year at NSU he was just 31-23, 20-8 in SLC play. That's 11-15 in OOC. NSU finished 2nd in what is usually a pretty good baseball league. Yet! they did not get an at-large bid to the playoffs. Their RPI was way too low because they had played a crappy schedule, and still managed to be just 8 games over .500.

If LB had had NSU in the playoffs, winning 40 games a year, beating some quality teams now and then, then, yeah, I would say he was worth hiring. In fact, had he done that, Tech may not have gotten him. Some P5 would have waved more money at him. But, as it was NSU was mediocre under him. Why do any of you think his resume' is so great to warrant his hiring here? Do we really want to be hiring mediocre Southland Conference coaches? Just asking....

On the flip side, he did coach 8 years at USM, and they were pretty good during that time(6 NCAA appearances). But, he was not head coach there.

Champ marketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond repute marketdawg's Avatar

Y'all lay off of Hogdawg now...he does watch a lot of baseball on the radio.
    “Towie Barclay of the Glen, Happy to the maids, But never to the men.”

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marketdawg View Post
    Y'all lay off of Hogdawg now...he does watch a lot of baseball on the radio.
    Yep. I'll think about marketdawg in poor ole Shrevesdale while I'm enjoying the Rangers vs Oakland A's game tonight in 69 degree weather.

Champ marketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond repute marketdawg's Avatar

I'll actually be watching our Dawgs on the radio with a bunch of other Tech folks; and boiling crawfish...on the dock...on Beautiful Lake Claiborne...

..I do love me some Rangers games and some Humperdinks beer before and after as well.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marketdawg View Post
    I'll actually be watching our Dawgs on the radio with a bunch of other Tech folks; and boiling crawfish...on the dock...on Beautiful Lake Claiborne...
    Sounds like a great evening. Love me some crawfish. And Lake Claiborne. And Tech folks.

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

I can understand about leaving them in to long. Who would you bring in besides Harris that you'd have confidence in? As others have stated, how did an all conference pitcher just fall apart? Is it mental? Mechanics? Has to be an answer other than just "he's in a slump."
    Tonight IMHO is a huge test for HCLB. Can you mentally prepare your team and yourself to go on the road and take a must win series from an opponent who's down right now? Rice is playing terrible baseball this year, and any way you slice it, this a MUST WIN series for this team. It's only going to get harder from here on out.

Champ rabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Do we really want to be hiring mediocre Southland Conference coaches? Just asking..
    Goes well with our mediocre Southland AD

This team went from hot to not so fast something's not right. My fear is a chemistry/personality/philosophy problem. Whatever you want to call it, as long as it's not "its baseball".

Champ DJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

From the outside looking in, it's almost impossible to know what the problem is.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DJDAWG View Post
    From the outside looking in, it's almost impossible to know what the problem is.
    No it's not. The problem has been starting pitching.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Actually I think Hasler may have a tired arm...

I think he threw over 100 innings in juco last year then he had summer ball and fall ball

I think Unk has some mechanics issues since he is not getting the ball down and the ground outs like the end of last year

There is a reason Burroughs is loading up on arm talent for next year and we are now seeing why

And we are also seeing why the coaches picked us 5th in the preseason poll
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

+ Reply to Thread