+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What makes someone a GREAT COACH?

Champ BlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud of

What makes someone a GREAT COACH?

When trying to grade a coach, what items are most important?
    I am thinking the ability to recruit the best talent is probably #1...
    Being able to motivate your players might be #2...
    and last but not least is having the X and O's knowledge to give your team the ability to stay in the game...
    Brook has an empressive class coming in next year,and now that we have 3 more spots available, what's the chance of picking up any great atheletes this late in the signing
    period?

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Re: What makes someone a GREAT COACH?

I infer from your posting this here you are saying Brooke is a "great" coach. Well...

Anyone who has read this forum knows what I think of Coach Brooke. But, in the strictest definition of the term, I'm not ready to proclaim her a "great" coach....yet. She is without a doubt a "very good" coach, and she has all the attributes you could want in a coach. That includes all the off-the-court stuff too. She has stepped in when this once dominant program was wallowing, following back to back coaching mistakes. As much as I love Spoon, and still say she is the best player to ever don the Techster uniform, she failed as a coach. And Summit, who I NEVER supported as our choice, was an absolute disaster! Louisiana Tech WBB needed someone like Brooke at this time.

Brooke will have her chance to achieve "great coach" status. In the meantime, she will restore much of the luster that is Lady Techster basketball.

Have to keep in mind, we've had only one "great coach" in our history of WBB. That's not easy to reach.

...and Louisiana Tech has not had too many "great" coaches in all the other sports either.

Champ Bearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    I infer from your posting this here you are saying Brooke is a "great" coach. Well...

Anyone who has read this forum knows what I think of Coach Brooke. But, in the strictest definition of the term, I'm not ready to proclaim her a "great" coach....yet. She is without a doubt a "very good" coach, and she has all the attributes you could want in a coach. That includes all the off-the-court stuff too. She has stepped in when this once dominant program was wallowing, following back to back coaching mistakes. As much as I love Spoon, and still say she is the best player to ever don the Techster uniform, she failed as a coach. And Summit, who I NEVER supported as our choice, was an absolute disaster! Louisiana Tech WBB needed someone like Brooke at this time.

Brooke will have her chance to achieve "great coach" status. In the meantime, she will restore much of the luster that is Lady Techster basketball.

Have to keep in mind, we've had only one "great coach" in our history of WBB. That's not easy to reach.

...and Louisiana Tech has not had too many "great" coaches in all the other sports either.
    So D80 would you please tell me what Spoon failed in as a coach? I know she didn't have the best record, but what about her was lacking? I am asking as an uneducated fan.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    So D80 would you please tell me what Spoon failed in as a coach? I know she didn't have the best record, but what about her was lacking? I am asking as an uneducated fan.
    Just my opinion - she had the motivation covered, but not the X and O's. She was always pumped up, but I don't think her recruiting was great and she lacked the off the court coaching, as well. Just my opinion. She was definitely energetic and could pump up her players.

To add to D80's comments above, I think we had 3 failed coaches - I would add Long in that group. He had the opposite problem. He had great talent and knew what to do, but lacked the motivation factor and tried to be a friend to the players more than a coach.

So: Long, Spoon, and Summit (and we all know what happened with that). 3 different failed coaches all for different reasons.

I hope Brooke gets the recruiting covered, because I believe she has the other areas completely under control.

Big Dog ACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to all

I will add that with the exception of Daron Park, Spoon was never able to surround herself with the kind of assistant coaches she needed to be successful.
    Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    Just my opinion - she had the motivation covered, but not the X and O's. She was always pumped up, but I don't think her recruiting was great and she lacked the off the court coaching, as well. Just my opinion. She was definitely energetic and could pump up her players.

To add to D80's comments above, I think we had 3 failed coaches - I would add Long in that group. He had the opposite problem. He had great talent and knew what to do, but lacked the motivation factor and tried to be a friend to the players more than a coach.

So: Long, Spoon, and Summit (and we all know what happened with that). 3 different failed coaches all for different reasons.

I hope Brooke gets the recruiting covered, because I believe she has the other areas completely under control.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Good players and a well rounded and talented coaching staff.

Champ BlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud of

Dawg80, I would not rate Brook as a great coach yet! I totally wish her great success and appreciate all she has been to the program as a player and now as a coach!
    My 1st priority listed above is the ability to recruit great atheletes....
    She may have found some gems in Canada, but that will be determined in a few years!

Puppy Ilovebball is on top of his/her gameIlovebball is on top of his/her gameIlovebball is on top of his/her gameIlovebball is on top of his/her gameIlovebball is on top of his/her gameIlovebball is on top of his/her gameIlovebball is on top of his/her gameIlovebball is on top of his/her gameIlovebball is on top of his/her gameIlovebball is on top of his/her gameIlovebball is on top of his/her game

I finally partially agree with you champion110. Coach Brooke was definitely pumped up whenever the cameras were around, but unfortunately most of her players never really bought into it. She also constantly changed her offensive plan, which confused the hell out of the team. It's like she had no idea what would work best with the players she had or the teams she was facing. You have to have a consistent inside AND outside game in order to keep the defense honest.
    As far as her recruiting, this season she is big into recruiting juco players. Remember, most players who go to jucos either are not division one players to begin with or have academic difficulties. So that is a big concern for next year. I know most posters hate Coach Tyler, but at least he had commits from highly recruited players, too bad he messed that up.
    In order to get back to the greatness that LaTech used to be, we need All-American players. I highly doubt that Coach Brooke could attract those kind of players (and don't use the excuse that LaTech doesn't have money, because that didn't have it back in the heyday either).

Varsity Bulldog techdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud of techdawg28's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ilovebball View Post
    I finally partially agree with you champion110. Coach Brooke was definitely pumped up whenever the cameras were around, but unfortunately most of her players never really bought into it. She also constantly changed her offensive plan, which confused the hell out of the team. It's like she had no idea what would work best with the players she had or the teams she was facing. You have to have a consistent inside AND outside game in order to keep the defense honest.
    As far as her recruiting, this season she is big into recruiting juco players. Remember, most players who go to jucos either are not division one players to begin with or have academic difficulties. So that is a big concern for next year. I know most posters hate Coach Tyler, but at least he had commits from highly recruited players, too bad he messed that up.
    In order to get back to the greatness that LaTech used to be, we need All-American players. I highly doubt that Coach Brooke could attract those kind of players (and don't use the excuse that LaTech doesn't have money, because that didn't have it back in the heyday either).
    Pretty sure he was talking about T-Spoon, not Brooke. And say what you want, but this past season under her was the best season in several years. After the last 2-3 coaches ran this program into the ground, she's got us on the right track. She's the coach we need.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by techdawg28 View Post
    Pretty sure he was talking about T-Spoon, not Brooke. And say what you want, but this past season under her was the best season in several years. After the last 2-3 coaches ran this program into the ground, she's got us on the right track. She's the coach we need.
    You are correct. I was referencing Spoon and she/he knew that. I will add that I still love Spoon, but she was not the right person for the job. I wish she had been and she is still one awesome competitor! We have the right person now, though!

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

You are correct. I was referencing Spoon and she/he knew that. I will add that I still love Spoon, but she was not the right person for the job. I wish she had been and she is still one awesome competitor! We have the right person now, though!
    Im a big fan of Spoon. So much so that I wish shed been hired as an assistant rather than the HC.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Tech fans love Spoon. It was unfortunate that being HC wasn't her thing. Not everyone, no matter what other attributes they may have, is cut out to be a HC. Or....even a coach! Being a great player does not automatically translate to coaching. In fact, I think being a great player is a detriment to being successful as a coach. I can't think of a truly great player who became a great coach, or even a very good one. Well.....chit...as much as it pains me to say this, I suppose pigtails comes pretty close.

All water under the bridge now. We have our coach. I expect to reach the Sweet 16 in the next 3 years. At that point, there are only good teams playing well left, so it's tough and requires some luck to advance. So, I won't say I "expect" to reach the Elite 8. Just that we'll have our shot at it.

Champ rabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose pigtails comes pretty close.
    I bet that did hurt.

Tech fans love Spoon. It was unfortunate that being HC wasn't her thing. Not everyone, no matter what other attributes they may have, is cut out to be a HC. Or....even a coach! Being a great player does not automatically translate to coaching. In fact, I think being a great player is a detriment to being successful as a coach. I can't think of a truly great player who became a great coach, or even a very good one. Well.....chit...as much as it pains me to say this, I suppose pigtails comes pretty close.

All water under the bridge now. We have our coach. I expect to reach the Sweet 16 in the next 3 years. At that point, there are only good teams playing well left, so it's tough and requires some luck to advance. So, I won't say I "expect" to reach the Elite 8. Just that we'll have our shot at it.
    Dawn Staley is doing pretty well too. There are some, but your point is valid.

Quote Originally Posted by rabiddawg View Post
    I bet that did hurt.
    I was simply acknowledging her on-the-court accomplishments as a player and coach.

She is still a back-stabbing bitch.

+ Reply to Thread