+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: 2017 Baseball RPI

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Re: 2017 Baseball RPI

Quote Originally Posted by BruceWillisDawg View Post
    Question:

If USM wins today it appears we finish with second highest RPI in CUSA. Assuming committee takes (3) CUSA teams doesn't that bode-well for us??
    The selection committee will have a very interesting case if USM beats Rice.

If that happens, C-USA looks like a 1-bid league with 4 teams just on the wrong side of the bubble: Tech, ODU, UNCC, FAU. Rice would be ineligible without a winning season even with a Top 50 RPI.

Would the selection committee only put in 1 team from the nation's No. 6 conference? I'd like to think not. Our prayer is for USM to win and for the committee to overlook of 5th place finish and dreadful finish in favor of our strong RPI compared to the other C-USA bubble teams. I'm guessing less than 10% chance. We no longer have a single Top 50 series win thanks to ODU's collapse. Does ODU have the best case to be the 2nd team from C-USA? Probably.

It's really interesting to compare C-USA to the Southland. The SLC is No. 12. The SLC has a bid thief plus to potential at-larges with Top 40 RPIs in SELA and McNeese. Would the committee give the #12 SLC 3 bids and #6 C-USA only 1? I hope not.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post

And I'm still waiting for you to admit Pawdawg was wrong and Dawg06 was correct about the starting pitching strategy for the tourney. Times like this I hate being right.
    I was all for adding the games, but it was obvious he was not going to. He actually said he was when Arkie St was rained out. My guess from history says he took the sword for our AD who actually nixed the plan. The guy who is afraid of $1 hot dog night was likely afraid to spend a few thousand on travel for a game or two. No need to worry about things our stealth AD does.

I don't believe Nate would have been any better against USM than he was against Charlotte. Why do you think an extra 18 hours of rest would have mattered so much?

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    I was all for adding the games, but it was obvious he was not going to. He actually said he was. My guess from history says he took the sword for our AD who actually nixed it. The guy who is afraid of $1 hot dog night. No need to worry about things our stealth AD does.

I don't believe Nate would have been any better against USM than he was against Charlotte. Why do you think an extra 18 hours of rest would have mattered so much?
    I don't assume we would've lost to UNCC with Griffen on the mound. Griffen gave up ZERO earned runs in 4.0 IP vs. USM on only 59 pitches. He was awesome in every game except for the bad matchup at MTSU.

And I do think the rest would've helped, however much it may have been. But you also know I was screaming for him to take Nate out at MTSU when we got up double digits. Instead, Burroughs kept him in there for two more innings. Huge mistake.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

And I do think the rest would've helped, however much it may have been. But you also know I was screaming for him to take Nate out at MTSU when we got up double digits. Instead, Burroughs kept him in there for two more innings. Huge mistake.
    The extra rest may have helped. He threw an extra 21 pitches or so against Middle that were not needed in the 5th and 6th and he had struggled some in the 5th. I wasn't screaming for him to be pulled but I expected it for sure after he got through the 5th.

The selection committee will have a very interesting case if USM beats Rice.

If that happens, C-USA looks like a 1-bid league with 4 teams just on the wrong side of the bubble: Tech, ODU, UNCC, FAU. Rice would be ineligible without a winning season even with a Top 50 RPI.

Would the selection committee only put in 1 team from the nation's No. 6 conference? I'd like to think not. Our prayer is for USM to win and for the committee to overlook of 5th place finish and dreadful finish in favor of our strong RPI compared to the other C-USA bubble teams. I'm guessing less than 10% chance. We no longer have a single Top 50 series win thanks to ODU's collapse. Does ODU have the best case to be the 2nd team from C-USA? Probably.

It's really interesting to compare C-USA to the Southland. The SLC is No. 12. The SLC has a bid thief plus to potential at-larges with Top 40 RPIs in SELA and McNeese. Would the committee give the #12 SLC 3 bids and #6 C-USA only 1? I hope not.
    Wait, we do have a Top 50 series win now... on the road over the C-USA Tourney champs! But they probably just killed any hopes we had.
    Last edited by Dawg06; 05-28-2017 at 05:47 PM.

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

Even in a down year with sub-par (by Rice standards) talent, Rice is able to win the conference. It must be nice to have a great coach at the helm

Quote Originally Posted by SicemDawgz View Post
    Even in a down year with sub-par (by Rice standards) talent, Rice is able to win the conference. It must be nice to have a great coach at the helm
    Rice has A LOT more going for them than just a good coach.

BTW USM coach's stupid decision not to walk the guy who hit the game winner to set up the double play was, well, really stupid.

I don't assume we would've lost to UNCC with Griffen on the mound. Griffen gave up ZERO earned runs in 4.0 IP vs. USM on only 59 pitches. He was awesome in every game except for the bad matchup at MTSU.
    Take out Griffen's MTSU game, and he would have an ERA of 3.18 (12 ER in 34.0 innings), which would be good enough for #6 best ERA in C-USA if he pitched enough innings to qualify.

Take out Griffen's MTSU game, and he would have an ERA of 3.18 (12 ER in 34.0 innings), which would be good enough for #6 best ERA in C-USA if he pitched enough innings to qualify.
    He should be a good one next year. I look forward to having lefties we can go to when needed next year along with at least one left handed starter.

2004 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion Bone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant future Bone_afide_Dawg's Avatar

Hopefully better than the returning ones this year who for whatever reason couldn't find an edge that would work.

Quote Originally Posted by Bone_afide_Dawg View Post
    Hopefully better than the returning ones this year who for whatever reason couldn't find an edge that would work.
    I know you probably meant the entire pitching staff, but I meant lefties. We only had one lefty other than true freshman Griffen.

Champ FriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond repute

The sixteen regional hosts in alphabetical order by host city:

LSU
    North Carolina
    Clemson
    Oregon State
    Arkansas
    TCU
    Florida
    USM
    Houston
    Kentucky