+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Most Draft Picks by School

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Re: Most Draft Picks by School

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    Purdue is definately a destination job if a guy is looking for a graveyard.
    Or a contract. Holtz's problem now is that he has been so successful that not just any ole contract will do anymore. He now has to weigh any new contract offer against what he's confident he can make here at LA Tech, a place where he has stability and he KNOWS he can succeed.

Holtz knows he can pretty safely make 850K a year (including incentives) here at LA Tech. For a very long time. So, I believe it will take at least $1.5M per year or more --for a minimum of 5 years (a total contract worth $7.5M)-- for him to walk away from what he already has here in Ruston. His USF experience works in our favor. It tells him that if he takes a new deal, he could easily be out of work in 3 years, and this time he could be finished as a head coach at almost any level. So the day he leaves Ruston, his career could theoretically be topped out at the $7.5M contract value.

Weigh this against an average of 900K per year for the next 10 years in Ruston = $9 Million (this assumes he gets at least some small raises along the way). And he could last longer than 10 years.

It's going to take a big contract to pull Holtz away from LA Tech.

Big Dog RGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the rough

Re: Most Draft Picks by School

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Or a contract. Holtz's problem now is that he has been so successful that not just any ole contract will do anymore. He now has to weigh any new contract offer against what he's confident he can make here at LA Tech, a place where he has stability and he KNOWS he can succeed.

Holtz knows he can pretty safely make 850K a year (including incentives) here at LA Tech. For a very long time. So, I believe it will take at least $1.5M per year or more --for a minimum of 5 years (a total contract worth $7.5M)-- for him to walk away from what he already has here in Ruston. His USF experience works in our favor. It tells him that if he takes a new deal, he could easily be out of work in 3 years, and this time he could be finished as a head coach at almost any level. So the day he leaves Ruston, his career could theoretically be topped out at the $7.5M contract value.

Weigh this against an average of 900K per year for the next 10 years in Ruston = $9 Million (this assumes he gets at least some small raises along the way). And he could last longer than 10 years.

It's going to take a big contract to pull Holtz away from LA Tech.
    Very logical concept to me and is exactly the way I would analyze my personal career opportunities.

I wonder how many coaches think about this? I'm sure younger ones dream about making it big and becoming the next Saban or Harbaugh.

+ Reply to Thread