+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nico hammers Shreveport Times Sports

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Re: Nico hammers Shreveport Times Sports

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    The Times just published the "news" online... 25 hours 22 minutes after it was published by TNS...

You missed the big point. The Times does this everyday to Isabella's Tech stories:
    - Don't publish Tech story at all
    - Publish the "news" a day later when it's not really news anymore
    - Butcher Tech story by chopping off a lot of the story or not updating it
    - Stripping Tech stories of videos and photos
    This stuff happens all the time. Not just this one QB commit story you deem trivial.

If The Times is really pushing a digital strategy, why would they intentionally butcher and filter out most of their Tech content Sean produces for them? Why would The Times remove their Tech shortcut tab and refuse to add it back? Answer: Ferrell and Lang are Tech haters.
    I'm not arguing your overall point. I couldn't even if I wanted to. There's empirical evidence that you have that I couldn't refute. I don't understand why this was a story to begin with. A walk-on becomes a story if he earns a scholarship, does something on the field or has a back story that is just too good to pass up. None of those apply in this case. In my opinion.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    Today's example of Shreveport Times media bias:

The Times published articles about:
    - Grambling adding a transfer
    - NWST's late basketball signee
    - LSU adding the UNT hoops transfer

But Ferrell/Lang refused to publish Isabella's article about Tech's JUCO QB commitment.

The Tech hate is real at The Times.
    Why do they even cover NWST? Do they have a HUGE alumni/fanbase in Shreveport?

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    Why do they even cover NWST? Do they have a HUGE alumni/fanbase in Shreveport?
    NWST fans are nowhere to be found in Shreveport.

The Times doesn't really cover NWST anymore since their last round of layoffs several months ago when they laid off their part-time beat writer. They pretty much just run NWST press releases as "staff reports" now. Ferrell occasionally writes a story about them. Jimmy may if they offer free food at an event.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor View Post
    How many times does The Times do a story about Grambling, NSU or LSU getting a walk-on commitment? Typically, the only time that story is done is if there's a local tie (there's not in this case) or there's a unique aspect to the story (like a celebrity's kid, or former star player's kid). I'm surprised that story was done in the first place. It's not one I likely would have run at The Town Talk because there's just not that much news value to it.
    Take the print edition out of it. Now help me understand.

Why are they not immediately posting content online from Tech's beat writer who works for the same company and is often posting those stories while in Ruston just 70 miles away? Why is there no Louisiana Tech tab within the sports section of their website? What's the cost in that? Why are they editing down the content they do post online? They're actually spending time and effort to remove content that would be of interest to their readers. Why?

It seems incredibly idiotic to me. And quite frankly the type of thing Gannett doesn't want to have to deal with right now - editors who appear to be allowing personal biases and grudges to interfere with the bottom line. And trust me there are journalists looking for work right now who would be more than happy to take their place.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post

Why are they not immediately posting content online from Tech's beat writer who works for the same company and is often posting those stories while in Ruston just 70 miles away? Why is there no Louisiana Tech tab within the sports section of their website? What's the cost in that? Why are they editing down the content they do post online? They're actually spending time and effort to remove content that would be of interest to their readers. Why?

It seems incredibly idiotic to me. And quite frankly the type of thing Gannett doesn't want to have to deal with right now - editors who appear to be allowing personal biases and grudges to interfere with the bottom line. And trust me there are journalists looking for work right now who would be more than happy to take their place.
    Yep. I don't know how Ferrell and Lang get away with all this crap.

After I asked them to put the Tech tab back after they deleted it and combined Tech with all the other colleges in the region, their response was that "there wasn't any room for it, nor demand for Tech coverage." Yeah right.

They've since added a Roy Lang Show tab, and there hasn't been an episode in over a year because nobody cares what he thinks. They added a tab for the Best of Preps, which is just a 1 day annual event and the 3rd high school tab (High School, Hiller's High School Hits, Best of Preps). I just noticed the Golf tab for the first time today. They also added one for the Mudbugs a few months ago. Also gotta love their separate tabs for the Cowboys and Saints, NFL teams located several hours away.

Anybody who spends any time in Shreveport-Bossier these days will tell you that Tech support in the area is rivaling LSU, and there's no #3 school in the area.

In the last 4 years during this very successful era of Tech sports, Times columnist Roy Lang has only written like 3 articles about Tech, a couple about our WBB coaches and one about Dixon when the Cowboys played the Ravens, since he slammed Tech for the bowl fiasco.

It's asinine how The Times treats Tech.

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Very good article/post by Nico Van Thyn. It really makes you wonder about the future of "local" news. Yes, the internet is great for reading national and world news. But where does one go to read about local elections, local sports, or what's happening at the local courthouse, etc...if local newspapers are out of business?

We all know that sports media is experiencing a purge. ESPN is laying off thousands and local newspapers are no longer reporting game scores and games stories. But we'll know that the Shreveport Times is really serious about downsizing when they stick to their self-imposed 7 PM copy/news deadline during football season. Because that would result in no LSU score or LSU game story appearing in the Sunday morning edition.
    The Sunday Times has an entire LSU section during football season...

Check this out: The Shreveport Times twitter account has basically just become a Roy Lang III retweet machine.

https://twitter.com/shreveporttimes Pathetic.

How does their publisher and owner allow this crap to happen?

The Shreveport Times may be the worst newspaper in the country.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post

Ferrell and Lang are dinosaurs that need to be shown the door. Some things (and people) just aren't worth saving. It's time to pass the baton to a new generation.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Just to show you how lax things are . . . in Thursday's News-Star they printed the crossword/Dear Abby page twice: B-4 and C-4 in the online edition. They finally stopped delivery of my dead-tree edition (five months after I canceled to go online only), so I don't know if that error was committed there.

The Iowa layout center slipped one by the proofing editor(s) back in Louisiana.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ Dogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond repute Dogsince65's Avatar

I have often wondered if La Tech journalism department ( do we have one?) could start an online publication about Tech. Maybe a small fee to read BUT it will prepare future journalist grads for todays way of distributing information. Things at Tech are incredible right now and I have seen a couple of articles in Times written by "la tech "media... BBB does great job of linking articles but why not newsletter/paper?

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    The Tech Talk is at least a decade behind the times.

+ Reply to Thread