In December, 2015 and in July, 2016 I wrote in a couple of threads that the Big 12 was going to either expand or die as we know it.

OU president David Boren attempted for years and years to convince Texas to give up the Longhorn Network and expand the league in order to save it. None of it worked. Rumors are now rampant that OU wants out. I thought for years, as did others, that the Big 12 would expand by 2016 and that there would be movement in both the Big 10 and SEC. Without Big 12 expansion everybody stayed pat.

The only way for schools in the Big 12 to get out of their Grant of Rights that were signed in 2010 was if the conference lost 5 or more schools and the league simply died from a legal standpoint. In 2015, scenarios were emerging that would send Missouri and Kansas to the Big 10, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and TCU to the SEC, and West Virginia and one other school to the ACC, possibly. That would kill the Big 12.

The interesting thing to me a year ago was that none of the rumors
involving other leagues included Texas. The only other landing spot for Texas would be the Pac 12. If the Pac 12 said they had no interest, Texas would be left in the Big 12 with Iowa State, Kansas State, Texas Tech, and Baylor and then having to rebuild the league.

The current rumor within the Texas fanbase is that they're now looking for a landing spot. If that's true, the league as we know it is done.