+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: May 13 C-USA Games

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Re: May 13 C-USA Games

Quote Originally Posted by boxerdog View Post
    Still believe our elevated performance against lower tier pitching confounds the overall averages. What are our percentages against decent pitching?
    One would have to do a detailed analysis game by game to arrive at a team BA vs. opponents. For instance, we were 0-3 vs. USM who has "decent" pitching. What was our BA in that series? I dunno, but looking at the box scores a series average can be calculated. Likewise vs. any opponent. That done, next you would have to look each opponents' pitching for the season. What is each staff's ERA? That's a good measure.

So, I don't know the answer since I haven't looked at the stats. But, if we lost to "decent" teams by scores of 1-0, 2-1, or like that then our offense struggled. If we lost to "decent" teams 13-10 or scores like that, it was our pitching that was the problem, not our hitting. (obviously).

Now, in general pitching wins championships in baseball. So, it's more than likely, our hitting has been better vs. the weaker teams on our schedule. There is an old saying in baseball, when you come up against a weak pitcher(s) you say "time to fatten those batting averages."

Champ Rooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond repute Rooster's Avatar

I wish we were playing Southern Miss now instead of then... I'll cut HCLB a little slack as being the new coach on this team. Even with all of the talent returning, he still didn't know this team. I'm glad Nate is a starter and our bats are really alive now. Really need to win 3 of the next 4, 4 of the next 4 would be superb!
    “Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.”
    Lou Holtz - Football Coach

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

"Bring back the rotary phone so we don't have to press 1 for English."
    www.casadice.com

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

If we beat Marshall today then we will be on the verge of breaking back into the Coaches Poll Top 40 again. We were #24 in the Coaches Poll prior to the start of CUSA play. Our RPI has moved up to #36. http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2017...Louisiana-Tech

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    There is no stat for what you are imagining Boxer.

Baseball (the game) is about great pitching. Some days pitchers are better than others so you can't just say "Tech does not hit well when facing good pitching."

If you give me an example I bet I can debate you on the situation and why the hitting did not produce the desired results.

Example: Wednesday against Lafayette, we faced a great pitcher (on that night). We loaded the bases with no outs. Our best hitters were not able to produce a run. That does not mean those hitters C-USA leading stats are beefed up against lesser pitching. It's baseball.
    In the game you mentioned, was there a pitching change after the bases were loaded?
    Have you considered those Dogs?

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

In the game you mentioned, was there a pitching change after the bases were loaded?
    Yes. Guillory gave up 2 singles and hit Lunceford to load 'em up. Lafayette then put Marks in. Boggs and Washam struck out swinging. Ullrich grounded out to SS. All were with 2 strikes in the count. That's great pitching, not poor hitting.

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. Guillory gave up 2 singles and hit Lunceford to load 'em up. Lafayette then put Marks in. Boggs and Washam struck out swinging. Ullrich grounded out to SS. All were with 2 strikes in the count. That's great pitching, not poor hitting.
    I agree. However, it seems to me that we bat extraordinarily well against mediocre pitching and extraordinarily woeful against good pitching. Thus our averages are deceitfully inflated by how good the guys are against mediocrity.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

I agree. However, it seems to me that we bat extraordinarily well against mediocre pitching and extraordinarily woeful against good pitching. Thus our averages are deceitfully inflated by how good the guys are against mediocrity.
    Okay find me some stats that back that up, but first tell me what your definition is for "mediocre pitching" and "good pitching".

Okay find me some stats that back that up, but first tell me what your definition is for "mediocre pitching" and "good pitching".
    My working definition of "good" is when a pitcher usually holds the opponent to a lower percentage than their overall team batting average. Mediocre and lower is when teams consistently bat better than their overall average against against specific pitchers. I realize it's not an exact science but does that seem reasonable?

I realize it's not an exact science but does that seem reasonable?
    It would if college pitchers were more predictable. Even Nate has an off day like yesterday when he allowed 8 hits and 4 runs in 6 innings.

We hit well against USM who obviously has great pitching. So does UTSA and ODU who we hit well against.

It would if college pitchers were more predictable. Even Nate has an off day like yesterday when he allowed 8 hits and 4 runs in 6 innings.

We hit well against USM who obviously has great pitching. So does UTSA and ODU who we hit well against.
    that's why I qualified it with usually because, at some point, what's true will be seen in the averages when given a sufficient sample.

+ Reply to Thread