+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Conference USA Baseball Tournament

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Re: 2017 Conference USA Baseball Tournament

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    We can't win the auto bid with one pitcher, but I think one win over USM may be enough to earn us an at-large bid.

I like our chances with Nate on the bump vs. USM a lot better than winning the whole tourney with Nate pitching vs. UNCC.
    We don't have to win the whole tournament. You reacting to your emotions again. The team you are upset with can't win another game.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

I hope Coach is coaching to win the tournament.

I'd start Nate in Game 1. If we are still around Saturday and are playing an elimination game - start him. If we are playing Sunday and played the minimum number of games (3) - Start him!

If we start him Wednesday - then hopefully we get a win in game 1, then have him available for relief duty if we get in a bind.

2004 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion Bone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant future Bone_afide_Dawg's Avatar

If we're coaching by committee I vote Nate game 1. After we win we'll think about what to do in game 2.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    We don't have to win the whole tournament. You reacting to your emotions again. The team you are upset with can't win another game.
    No. What are you talking about? I never said we needed to win the whole tourney. You aren't listening.

My whole point has been we likely just need a win against USM to get an at-large bid. Hence, my main reason to save Nate for Game 2.

If we can't beat USM, then we are likely sitting at home.
    Last edited by Dawg06; 05-20-2017 at 11:51 PM.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sportdawg View Post
    I hope Coach is coaching to win the tournament.

I'd start Nate in Game 1. If we are still around Saturday and are playing an elimination game - start him. If we are playing Sunday and played the minimum number of games (3) - Start him!

If we start him Wednesday - then hopefully we get a win in game 1, then have him available for relief duty if we get in a bind.
    We have to beat USM either way.

And Nate is the only pitcher I have any confidence in getting the job done.

Thus, saving Nate for Game 2 also gives us the best chance to win the tournament, too.

Going conservative pitching Nate in G1 is a formula for sitting at home.

Varsity Bulldog rlirette is a splendid one to beholdrlirette is a splendid one to beholdrlirette is a splendid one to beholdrlirette is a splendid one to beholdrlirette is a splendid one to beholdrlirette is a splendid one to beholdrlirette is a splendid one to beholdrlirette is a splendid one to beholdrlirette is a splendid one to beholdrlirette is a splendid one to beholdrlirette is a splendid one to behold

We have to beat USM either way.

And Nate is the only pitcher I have any confidence in getting the job done.

Thus, saving Nate for Game 2 also gives us the best chance to win the tournament, too.

Yeah, the problem is that we have to actually beat Charlotte to play USM. Games not started by Nate have always been a 50/50 proposition in my mind.

But anyway, for winning the tournament I actually like pitching Nate in Game 2. In double elimination format, losing in round 1 or 2 of the winner's bracket doesn't matter, still have to play the same number of games (I'd argue losing the second game is the tougher road). For getting an at-large, I think pitching Nate Game 1 is the right move. Winning Game 1 will put us on the right side of the bubble come committee time. Our rpi would be so much better than fau's (barring fau winning the tourney) that the committee would favor us. That being said if rice wins the tourney, we may be in trouble with them stealing a cusa bid.

Gonna be an interesting 5 days in Biloxi. I'm gonna try to go to all the games. Go dawgs!

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SicemDawgz View Post
    Talk about choking.

Champ Wade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond repute Wade_Antley's Avatar

Always, always put your #1 in game #1. Never save your ace.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade_Antley View Post
    Always, always put your #1 in game #1. Never save your ace.
    Nate hasn't started Game 1 of a series all season. And it's a double-elimination tournament. Tech is guaranteed at least 2 games with Nate pitching 1 game regardless of the outcome of the first. Game 2 will be our most important game of the season regardless of the outcome of the first. I want Nate pitching our most important game of the season. And I want a fresh Nate, as sharp as possible. Burning Nate in Game 1 would be foolish IMO.

Champ Wade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond repute Wade_Antley's Avatar

Nate hasn't started Game 1 of a series all season. And it's a double-elimination tournament. Tech is guaranteed at least 2 games with Nate pitching 1 game regardless of the outcome of the first. Game 2 will be our most important game of the season regardless of the outcome of the first. I want Nate pitching our most important game of the season. And I want a fresh Nate, as sharp as possible. Burning Nate in Game 1 would be foolish IMO.
    You gotta go with your ace. You have to think of it as a best of 3 series. There's no guarantee's in baseball, so you gotta go with your best pitcher in game one. Win game one and worry about game 2 later.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

'06 how much would our rpi go up with a W over USM? How much would it go up with an L against them?

Champ Rooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond repute Rooster's Avatar

I agree. We are guaranteed 2 games. If we win game 1, Nate gives us the best chance to beat USM in game 2. If we lose game 1, we need Nate throwing our elimination game.

If this was a one and done, then Nate would be the obvious choice for game 1. We will no doubt play 2 games...
    “Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.”
    Lou Holtz - Football Coach

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

"Bring back the rotary phone so we don't have to press 1 for English."
    www.casadice.com

'06 how much would our rpi go up with a W over USM? How much would it go up with an L against them?
    It's not all about RPI. It's about our resume that is seriously lacking NCAA Tournament quality wins and lists getting swept at home by USM.

It's not all about RPI. It's about our resume that is seriously lacking NCAA Tournament quality wins and lists getting swept at home by USM.
    So the committee will not look at RPI on Sunday? You think 2-2 with a loss to USM will have us in the low 30s?

I can see you have your mind made up that we MUST beat USM to get an at large. Based on emotion of course.

Champ BruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud of

So the committee will not look at RPI on Sunday? You think 2-2 with a loss to USM will have us in the low 30s?

I can see you have your mind made up that we MUST beat USM to get an at large. Based on emotion of course.
    There is a certain amount of subjectivity in the selection process. While we have some good early wins our conference resume is not going to impress enough to get selected. I think a strong showing in the tourney is a must to leave the committee with a "what have we done lately" good impression.
    2-2 with a loss to USM just might not be good enough to get off the bubble. If we were not on the bubble then 2-2 would suffice but I think we need to leave no doubt.

+ Reply to Thread