+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Now that the LHSAA Baseball Playoffs are over -

Hybrid View

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Now that the LHSAA Baseball Playoffs are over -

Lot of whining and gnashing of teeth again this year -

Personally I think there should be two changes -

1) best two of three - first round through the quarters

2) this should be for all classes (willing to exempt B & C maybe)

I like the way the semis and finals are set-up because you have to have a strong staff to make it and come out a Champion
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Re: Now that the LHSAA Baseball Playoffs are over -

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post

I like the way the semis and finals are set-up because you have to have a strong staff to make it and come out a Champion
    Class B and A should have the same rules. They are the same student populations with no football for class B. Even better, get rid of class B all together.

I'm not sure Class A and AA has the pitching for a three game series. Not many AAA teams do.

I think (maybe 3A) 4A and 5A should be best of 3 after the first round.

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post

One thing I heard yesterday was to have the first and second rounds be three-game series and then have quarterfinals through finals at the same site in a single-elimination tournament like softball. You'd need three pitchers to win that 8-team tournament.

Another option is to keep the current setup (or preferably add best of 3 to the first round) and then have a double-elimination tournament beginning with the semifinals.

My preference would be to have 3-game series for every single round for 2A and up. You could keep the current format for 1A and down, have that state tournament in Sulphur one weekend and then have the big boys' state finals series in Sulphur the next. This would put the semifinals at home sites. Or you could rent out McMurray three weekends in a row and have small-school finals one weekend, big-school semis the next and then big-school finals the last weekend.

There are a lot of different options. I'm in favor of having as many 3-game series as possible. A single-game elimination in any round is a crapshoot.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor View Post

My preference would be to have 3-game series for every single round for 2A and up. You could keep the current format for 1A and down, have that state tournament in Sulphur one weekend and then have the big boys' state finals series in Sulphur the next. This would put the semifinals at home sites. Or you could rent out McMurray three weekends in a row and have small-school finals one weekend, big-school semis the next and then big-school finals the last weekend.
    You think 2A and 3A has enough pitching. IMO it would get very sloppy for some of the teams.

I hear Sulphur does a great job. Still no reason some of the classes can't be moved out. I hope Ruston is ready soon.

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    You think 2A and 3A has enough pitching. IMO it would get very sloppy for some of the teams.

I hear Sulphur does a great job. Still no reason some of the classes can't be moved out. I hope Ruston is ready soon.
    They moved to best of 3 for 2A and 3A this year. I haven't really heard any feedback from that yet, but that is something the coaches in those classes wanted to do.

The biggest problem with Ruston is facilities. Tech's facility is really, really good. But there aren't multiple fields to play a lot of tournaments there. You could have a max of two classes probably. While the LHSAA used to spread out its tournaments across the state, that model is gone when you have a facility like McMurry where you can put on a number of games in the same place at the same time. I just don't see the tournament leaving Sulphur anytime soon.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

The biggest problem with Ruston is facilities. Tech's facility is really, really good. But there aren't multiple fields to play a lot of tournaments there. You could have a max of two classes probably. While the LHSAA used to spread out its tournaments across the state, that model is gone when you have a facility like McMurry where you can put on a number of games in the same place at the same time. I just don't see the tournament leaving Sulphur anytime soon.
    Ruston is working on the new complex that will (I believe) include 4 regulation size fields.

Ruston and/or Ouachita Parish should not just give up on hosting up here.

Champ mentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud of mentechsters's Avatar

I believe the new complex was originally supposed to contain 2 high school sized fields, one being Ruston High's current field. I think they came in over budget and the other field was cut from the plans. I think RHS field will be turfed though.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Another option is to keep the current setup (or preferably add best of 3 to the first round) and then have a double-elimination tournament beginning with the semifinals.
    I like this - I also think it's better than a three game series

I also think they should also bid out the classes and have a double elimination final four-

B & C & 1A

2A & 3A

4A & 5A
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ olddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond repute

My senior year in high school (1975) only the district champions played for the State Championship. All eight winners played over one weekend at Alex Box stadium. We (Broadmoor) beat Ruston High (with Wayne Gage) on Friday night; played Saturday afternoon and beat someone and lost Saturday night to East Jefferson 8-1 for the State Championship.

We only had two pitchers which make it tough when playing three games in a little over a day. East Jeff had a shortstop by the name of Mike Miley who had a short lived but spectacular athletic career (MLB and LSU qb) before dying in a single car crash.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by olddog75 View Post
    My senior year in high school (1975) only the district champions played for the State Championship. All eight winners played over one weekend at Alex Box stadium. We (Broadmoor) beat Ruston High (with Wayne Gage) on Friday night; played Saturday afternoon and beat someone and lost Saturday night to East Jefferson 8-1 for the State Championship.

We only had two pitchers which make it tough when playing three games in a little over a day. East Jeff had a shortstop by the name of Mike Miley who had a short lived but spectacular athletic career (MLB and LSU qb) before dying in a single car crash.
    Before the Box it was at Pete Goldsby Field in Baton Rouge. We (Rummel) beat Broadmoor 8-0 in the championship game, our pitcher Ricky Ziblich pitched a no-hitter. Might have been a perfect game too. That was 1974....I think.

+ Reply to Thread