+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Podcast with Manny Diaz

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Podcast with Manny Diaz

This is a pretty good podcast from a couple of writers at SB Nation. Bill Connelly is the guy who does those great (highly statistics based) team-by-team previews each offseason. This week they had Diaz on and he had some nice things to say about Tech. These guys do spend a lot of time talking about G5 schools and about the depth of college football not just the same 10 powerhouses.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foot...anes-interview

Varsity Bulldog FWDAWG is on top of his/her gameFWDAWG is on top of his/her gameFWDAWG is on top of his/her gameFWDAWG is on top of his/her gameFWDAWG is on top of his/her gameFWDAWG is on top of his/her gameFWDAWG is on top of his/her gameFWDAWG is on top of his/her gameFWDAWG is on top of his/her gameFWDAWG is on top of his/her gameFWDAWG is on top of his/her game

Re: Podcast with Manny Diaz

what time was Tech referenced?

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FWDAWG View Post
    what time was Tech referenced?
    7:45 or so he talks about how the technology for scouting isn't much different than a P5, but the number of people available to do it is lower.

At around 11:00 he has good things to say about Hester (in the broader context of how a program's overall culture is a big part of the "deployment" of players - in the same way that calling a particular play would be).

Anothor brief shout out around 52:00 (about using Pete Carroll's tackling technique).

Big Dog Terence32 is a glorious beacon of lightTerence32 is a glorious beacon of lightTerence32 is a glorious beacon of lightTerence32 is a glorious beacon of lightTerence32 is a glorious beacon of lightTerence32 is a glorious beacon of lightTerence32 is a glorious beacon of lightTerence32 is a glorious beacon of lightTerence32 is a glorious beacon of lightTerence32 is a glorious beacon of lightTerence32 is a glorious beacon of light Terence32's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    7:45 or so he talks about how the technology for scouting isn't much different than a P5, but the number of people available to do it is lower.

At around 11:00 he has good things to say about Hester (in the broader context of how a program's overall culture is a big part of the "deployment" of players - in the same way that calling a particular play would be).

Anothor brief shout out around 52:00 (about using Pete Carroll's tackleing technique).

Hester is a HUGE asset, I have said it before and I'll say it again. The most important coach in my opinion is the Strength coach. I know Harrington is now at Grambling and not sure if that was a strategic move to get back into Tech. I just believe that would be a mistake on Tech's part to go in that direction if Hester ever decides to leave. Hester has those kids in great shape, both physically and mentally. I hope he is around for a long time.

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Terence32 View Post
    Hester is a HUGE asset, I have said it before and I'll say it again. The most important coach in my opinion is the Strength coach. I know Harrington is now at Grambling and not sure if that was a strategic move to get back into Tech. I just believe that would be a mistake on Tech's part to go in that direction if Hester ever decides to leave. Hester has those kids in great shape, both physically and mentally. I hope he is around for a long time.
    Wasn't Harrington strength coach for 2012? That team was in pretty good shape.

He's Sexy & He Knows It... SWarner63 has a reputation beyond reputeSWarner63 has a reputation beyond reputeSWarner63 has a reputation beyond reputeSWarner63 has a reputation beyond reputeSWarner63 has a reputation beyond reputeSWarner63 has a reputation beyond reputeSWarner63 has a reputation beyond reputeSWarner63 has a reputation beyond reputeSWarner63 has a reputation beyond reputeSWarner63 has a reputation beyond reputeSWarner63 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by SicemDawgz View Post
    Wasn't Harrington strength coach for 2012? That team was in pretty good shape.
    He was the strength coach in 2012 and we were the most in shape team in college football that year. Averaging 87 plays per game over the entire season, we ranked 2nd in the country. By comparison, last year's team ran 68 plays per game and the year before was 72. That's a minimum of (2) 7-8 play drives per game.

I'm not arguing that Hester is a good strength coach, he is. However, he definitely focuses more on agility, flexibility, and mass than raw conditioning, but the reason for that is due to a different offensive philosophy and style. Holtz's focus on offense is effective and explosive plays, not strictly play volume and he is also very focused on injury prevention.

So it is asinine to say that Damon Harrington would not excel as a strength coach at La Tech. He has done it before and would do it again if given the opportunity. He's invested in the La Tech program because of his love and devotion for the school and he cares deeply about helping produce quality athletes at La Tech. He spent as many, if not more years with many of the current La Tech players in the NFL than Hester.

He made me a stronger, tougher, and more conditioned athlete and was critical to our team's development during my time at Tech.

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

Honest question Warner, what the heck happened to yall down the stretch in 2012?
    Have you considered those Dogs?

He's Sexy & He Knows It... SWarner63 has a reputation beyond reputeSWarner63 has a reputation beyond reputeSWarner63 has a reputation beyond reputeSWarner63 has a reputation beyond reputeSWarner63 has a reputation beyond reputeSWarner63 has a reputation beyond reputeSWarner63 has a reputation beyond reputeSWarner63 has a reputation beyond reputeSWarner63 has a reputation beyond reputeSWarner63 has a reputation beyond reputeSWarner63 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by boxerdog View Post
    Honest question Warner, what the heck happened to yall down the stretch in 2012?
    No bye week and lack of depth killed us. Playing that many plays on offense over a 10 game stretch with no week off to rest starters and then having to play the 2 best teams we played all year in conference back to back just made it extremely hard to be successful those last 2 weeks.

It also didn't help we played a horrible first half against Utah State. We dug ourselves in a hole early, and against a good team like Utah State that year, we just made it that much harder on ourselves to try and come back to win it.

San Jose was just a let down game since we were on the road and knew we had lost the conference championship the week prior. That had been our goal all year and to know we had just thrown that away the week before (along with an Orange Bowl bid) at home was just a heavy weight over the whole team during that San Jose prep week.
    It carried over to game time and we just played flat the whole game.

Big Dog Terence32 is a glorious beacon of lightTerence32 is a glorious beacon of lightTerence32 is a glorious beacon of lightTerence32 is a glorious beacon of lightTerence32 is a glorious beacon of lightTerence32 is a glorious beacon of lightTerence32 is a glorious beacon of lightTerence32 is a glorious beacon of lightTerence32 is a glorious beacon of lightTerence32 is a glorious beacon of lightTerence32 is a glorious beacon of light Terence32's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SWarner63 View Post
    He was the strength coach in 2012 and we were the most in shape team in college football that year. Averaging 87 plays per game over the entire season, we ranked 2nd in the country. By comparison, last year's team ran 68 plays per game and the year before was 72. That's a minimum of (2) 7-8 play drives per game.

I'm not arguing that Hester is a good strength coach, he is. However, he definitely focuses more on agility, flexibility, and mass than raw conditioning, but the reason for that is due to a different offensive philosophy and style. Holtz's focus on offense is effective and explosive plays, not strictly play volume and he is also very focused on injury prevention.

So it is asinine to say that Damon Harrington would not excel as a strength coach at La Tech. He has done it before and would do it again if given the opportunity. He's invested in the La Tech program because of his love and devotion for the school and he cares deeply about helping produce quality athletes at La Tech. He spent as many, if not more years with many of the current La Tech players in the NFL than Hester.

He made me a stronger, tougher, and more conditioned athlete and was critical to our team's development during my time at Tech.

I don't think anyone said he would not excel at Tech. I just believe better options are out there.

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SWarner63 View Post

I remember watching that team play. Other teams couldn't match their stamina, and by the 4th quarter it was a noticeable difference.

+ Reply to Thread