+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tech Expansion

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Re: Tech Expansion

I think if we ever wanted to have a Tech Law school, we'd need to have a sizable amount of private funding before we went public with it.

I also think it should be in Shreveport - maybe the old Federal Courthouse Louisiana College was trying to use.

Big Dog counselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of light

This is where we should be spending our money. Not on upgrading football stadiums and coaches pay.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by counselingdawg View Post
    This is where we should be spending our money. Not on upgrading football stadiums and coaches pay.
    Thanks for your input Dan. You were great for athletics.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

A law school would be nice but with Lousiana Law being so different it wouldn't attract many, if any, out of state students. A med school would be much more prestigious. However, getting one would be impossible.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

It seems that podiatry or optometry would be far more attainable than medicine.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

Podiatry and optometry both seem bush league. Something that any local JUCO could offer. Nursing is more prestiguous than either. Too bad we can't get the BS degree for our program.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Techsan View Post
    Podiatry and optometry both seem bush league. Something that any local JUCO could offer. Nursing is more prestiguous than either. Too bad we can't get the BS degree for our program.
    But they can't. If Tech students want to study optometry they have to go a good ways off to do it (Birmingham or Nashville). I don't know as much about podiatry, but these are professional degrees that will see increased patient loads as you old boomers start to fall apart. 😉

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    But they can't. If Tech students want to study optometry they have to go a good ways off to do it (Birmingham or Nashville). I don't know as much about podiatry, but these are professional degrees that will see increased patient loads as you old boomers start to fall apart. 
    This old boomer has never seen a podiatrist and I started wearing glasses long before I was old. Instead of podiatry why not offer a degree that physician's assistants get. I believe it is sort of like a masters in nursing. Maybe even more advanced. I have seen my family doctor's PA and she was very good.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Lack of a law school and medical school are the only things that makes us different from SEC schools.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

This old boomer has never seen a podiatrist and I started wearing glasses long before I was old. Instead of podiatry why not offer a degree that physician's assistants get. I believe it is sort of like a masters in nursing. Maybe even more advanced. I have seen my family doctor's PA and she was very good.
    The issue with Law and Medicine is the same with PA school...LSU offers them. Medicine and PA, along with PT and OT are offered less than an hour from Tech's main campus.

If we want a professional school, we'll have to think outside the box.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Here are the current (according to Wikipedia) optometry schools:

There are 23 American educational institutions offering the Doctor of Optometry degree. However, many new schools are currently preparing new programs.[44]And here are the podiatry schools:

Arizona School of Podiatric Medicine Midwestern University Glendale, Arizona 2004 [1]
    Barry University School of Podiatric Medicine Barry University Miami Shores, Florida 1985 [2]
    California School of Podiatric Medicine Samuel Merritt University[a] Oakland, California 1914 [3]
    Des Moines University College of Podiatric Medicine and Surgery Des Moines University Des Moines, Iowa 1980 [4]
    Kent State University College of Podiatric Medicine Kent State University[b] Independence, Ohio 1916 [5]
    New York College of Podiatric Medicine independent New York City 1911 [6]
    Temple University School of Podiatric Medicine Temple University[c] Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 1963 [7]
    Western University College of Podiatric Medicine Western University of Health Sciences Pomona, California 2009 [8]
    Dr. William M. Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine Rosalind Franklin University[d] North Chicago, Illinois 1912 [9]
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    The issue with Law and Medicine is the same with PA school...LSU offers them. Medicine and PA, along with PT and OT are offered less than an hour from Tech's main campus.

If we want a professional school, we'll have to think outside the box.
    By less than one hour I guess you mean Shreveport. The only way Tech could get a Law or Medical School would be to have all of the legislators from Alex northward to be Tech graduates-backers. Of course any Louisiana legislator who is a lawyer is probably an LSU Law School graduate (I guess there are a few Tulane graduates but for us they wouldn't be much help either). Another problem is that all, I'm not even sure the majority, of Tech graduates are Tech backers.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

I vote for the School of Optometry.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77 View Post
    I vote for the School of Optometry.
    Over the foot doctors. Hey, I know, lets get a college for chiropractors. Where is the nearest one of those. There is one near by here in Pasadena (Texas that is).

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Bush league is a bit too harsh, but I agree neither are real doctors. And neither carries much prestige, nor near the clout of med or law schools.

But most importantly, neither of those professional schools really fit Tech's mission or vision, and neither would be able to be offered in Ruston.

Tech needs more doctoral degrees offered, more doctoral degrees granted, and more research funding to reach the top SREB and Carnegie classifications.

Professional degrees like Podiatry and Optometry do not count as doctoral degrees by those institutions, and thus wouldn't do much to advance Tech's standing in the world.

+ Reply to Thread